Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Friday Night Lights

Friday Night Lights

I didn't see a thread about this show so sorry if I missed it, but does anybody else watch this show?

I love it. I think it is very well done and the acting is great. Next to Heroes and Lost its my favorite show.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Friday Night Lights

I love Kyle Chandler. Never saw Early Edition, but I will forever remember him as the Indians minor leaguer in Homefront, at which time I was of course deeply in love with him.

Very good actor, and he NEVER AGES. Homefront was a good 17 years ago and he looks exactly the same.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

gah!!!

(No more derailing the thread, I promise.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeffbaseball.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jeffbaseball2.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	4108  
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

I watch. I think it's a pretty good show.

The pilot was simply a re-telling of "Hoosiers" with the appropriate tweaks, but since then things have picked up. And I agree that the acting is very good.

Last I heard, the ratings wouldn't even get a "12 men on the field" flag, though.
    Makes all the routine posts.

La Dolce Vita

It's a very well made show. Quality all around. Alas, it doesn't follow the New Rule, i.e. in order to succeed, a new show must follow the CSI, Law & Order, Lost, SOB protagonist (ala Greg House) or reality-show model.

I heard a reviewer say that absolutely NO one was watching it. Made me feel a bit strange. She also noted that for many people it was too much like their real life. It seems to me that could play either way and wasn't really a valid reason for why people weren't watching it. I'll watch till it disappears.
    teach tolerance.

I've been watching it too. I like it a lot.

Like Sweetstop said, its not a formulaic show and the production, story line, mood, and pacing takes a little getting used to. The filming is very, uh, atmospheric.

This show and House are the Tuesday shows I watch.

Pay attention to the open sky

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetstop View Post
    I heard a reviewer say that absolutely NO one was watching it. Made me feel a bit strange. She also noted that for many people it was too much like their real life. It seems to me that could play either way and wasn't really a valid reason for why people weren't watching it. I'll watch till it disappears.
    What I've heard is that NBC expected the show to attract more younger viewers than older viewers and the result was just the opposite. That's why it was tested for a week in the timeslot after "Heroes," which has a younger audience, to see if more young folks could be lured in to watch it.

I think the show would have been cancelled already if it were performing identically on CBS, because the ratings expectations are higher there. NBC is desperate for a hit, so they can afford to be more patient.

On another board I've been seeing lots of complaints about the shaky-cam technique. Apparently, the older folks who are watching want their cameras nice and steady.
    Last edited by Unassisted; 11-09-2006 at 11:05 AM.

I think they really lost a chance to do something special with the Voodoo character. Instead they played him as an angry selfish insolant kid, who was a villian of sorts, just like the militant black guy stereo type from MTV's The Real World. They really missed the boat.

I have tried to watch the show, and generally like the premise, but I could do without the love triangle which I feel is the worst part of the show, and it could focus more on the individual players, and coaches.
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

La Dolce Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    What I've heard is that NBC expected the show to attract more younger viewers than older viewers and the result was just the opposite. That's why it was tested for a week in the timeslot after "Heroes," which has a younger audience, to see if more young folks could be lured in to watch it.

I think the show would have been cancelled already if it were performing identically on CBS, because the ratings expectations are higher there. NBC is desperate for a hit, so they can afford to be more patient.

On another board I've been seeing lots of complaints about the shaky-cam technique. Apparently, the older folks who are watching want their cameras nice and steady.

I'm one of the older folks I think. 58. That shaky stuff doesn't bother me.

I do agree about the love triangle being the worst part of the show...a bit O.C.ish.
    teach tolerance.

WAGS

i think FNL, the office, and MNIE are the best that NBC has to offer, but i really enjoy FNL cause i can relate to it.

FYI, it got picked up for a whole season.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Thats good news. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
    i think FNL, the office, and MNIE are the best that NBC has to offer, but i really enjoy FNL cause i can relate to it.
    I agree and I would add Heroes to the list.
    Burn down the disco. Hang the blessed DJ. Because the music that he constantly plays, it says nothing to me about my life.

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

So now I can enjoy Minka Kelly's extreme hotness through the springtime, it seems. Like Winnie Cooper times ten.

So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Minka=Lila? That girlie that plays Lila is special kinda hot.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Turn Off Ads?