Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can some types of alcohol cause worse hangovers than other types?

Can some types of alcohol cause worse hangovers than other types?

This article says yes.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/07/he...rssnyt&emc=rss

The Claim: Some Types of Alcohol Cause Worse Hangovers Than Others

By ANAHAD O’CONNOR
    Published: November 7, 2006

THE FACTS Too much alcohol of any kind can cause sickness and regret the morning after. But it’s often said that some kinds of drinks are worse than others.

Experts say that the type of alcohol you drink does make a difference, but for various reasons. Among the most important is the amount of congeners (pronounced CON-juh-nurz) — complex organic molecules, like methanol — in a particular drink. Impurities in poorly refined spirits like cheap vodka can also play a role, but congeners, which are common in darker liquors, seem to have the greatest effect.

According to one report in The British Medical Journal, which looked at the effects of different types of alcohol, the drink that produced the most hangover symptoms was brandy, followed by red wine, rum, whiskey, white wine, gin and vodka. Another study showed that bourbon was twice as likely to cause sickness as the same amount of vodka.

There is also wide variation within certain categories, like wine. Wines that come from countries where a small change in climate can greatly affect their quality, some experts say, can contain significantly more hangover-inducing compounds in a bad season. Inexpensive red wines, in particular, have a reputation for causing sickness. But that may be because some people suffer from a syndrome called red wine headache, whose cause is unknown. What scientists do know is that the wines that cause it vary from person to person, and across brands, grapes and price.

THE BOTTOM LINE Certain types of alcohol can make a hangover worse.
    I've heard that red wine can produce some nasty hangovers. I've never drank enough of it at once to find out for myself, but this article definitely supports the claim.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Can some types of alcohol cause worse hangovers than other types?

I have had a few red wine hangovers over the years. They can be really nasty. I don't drink beer often, but draft beer seems to really get me when it comes to a hangover. They key for me has always been a vitamin and a few glasses of water before bed. That seems to help quite a bit.
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

I no longer drink, but when I did it was usually bourbon, tequila or beer. None of those usually gave me a bad hangover even when consumed in larger (or perhaps even in "mass") quanities.

Vodka, a totally different story. I could drink one vodka tonic and I'd be sloppy drunk and many more than that would result in serrious hangovers, blackouts and "wonderfull" day after stories (I can't believe what you did last night.....).

I never did figure out the difference other than maybe the base materials of the vodka have a weirdo chemical effect on me. Anyway, I quickly learned to stear well clear of the russian antifreeze.

A couple vodka tonics? No problem.

A couple scotches? Roll of the dice.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Regardless of the liquor it's mixed with, friggin' Red Bull gives me the worst hangover. I wake up dizzy with a throbbing headache and that awful, just-licked-a-shoe Red Bull taste in my mouth.

And of course, I always seem to end up with an "on-the-house" Red Bull and vodka, or a $5 shot that someone bought me and I'm obligated to drink.

Worst poison known to man = Jager Bomb (Jager shot dropped into a glass of Red Bull).
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

1. Eat before
    2. Vitamin B
    3. Drink one glass of water for every beverage you drink
    4. Near the end of your drinking, take an aspirin before you forget.

5. Don't drink too much.

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post
    According to one report in The British Medical Journal, which looked at the effects of different types of alcohol, the drink that produced the most hangover symptoms was brandy, followed by red wine, rum, whiskey, white wine, gin and vodka. Another study showed that bourbon was twice as likely to cause sickness as the same amount of vodka.
    Man I hear that. My freshman year at college I started drinking blackberry brandy with a friend. Later on I had a few beers and I was so sick the next day. Haven't touched the stuff since.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

I did my own research on this before I reached 23.

It's all true.

Zoinks!

A wine headache is the worst! There had been days when my own breathing was too loud. However, bourbon never usually has bothered me the next morning.

Like woy, I did a lot of early research on this topic in my misbegotten youth.

My first thought was you needed a study to tell you this? Most drunks could tell you this in a heartbeat. The clearer the alcohol is, the less the hangover is.

However, in the quantities that I consumed it all in, it didn't really matter. I used to say "moderation is for monks, everything to excess, take big bites" but I have since learned the wisdom of moderation.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

However, in the quantities that I consumed it all in, it didn't really matter. I used to say "moderation is for monks, everything to excess, take big bites" but I have since learned the wisdom of moderation.
    At age 18 my friends and I played a game of Quarters with a bottle of Makers Mark, I woke up with 1/2 my face a scab from breaking my fall earlier in the evening, the pillow of course was stuck to my face.

I've heard that red wine can produce some nasty hangovers. I've never drank enough of it at once to find out for myself, but this article definitely supports the claim.
    Red wine gave me the worst hangover I ever had (I'm usually a beer guy) and ironically, it was a bunch of Brits I was out with who were the culprits.

Hey, maybe they were operatives working for the British Medical Journal for this study?
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

When drinking, Miller Lite always seems to be my best choice to avoid hangovers.
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
    When drinking, Miller Lite always seems to be my best choice to avoid hangovers.
    Yes, I'd drink water too to avoid hangovers.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Yes, I'd drink water too to avoid hangovers.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Turn Off Ads?