20 33.33%
  • I usually pay other people to do things

21 35.00%
  • What's a screwdriver ?

5 8.33%
  • Live in an appartment, still in school, don't know yet

10 16.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How handy around the house are you?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How handy around the house are you?

There is nothing I enjoy more than spending a weekend day puttering around the house working on "stuff". I'm 100% weekend warrior but I love to build shelves, hang new lights, fix gutter flashing and patch drywall. I'm certinally no expert but it's fun learning how to do something new.

This is a new found (within the past 5 years) enjoyment. I think it's because I place a strong emphasis on a safe/warm/comfortable home since I am usually in a hotel, car or customers office.

Anyway, where do you stand on the burning question that is deviding america?
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-09-2006 at 07:19 AM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: How handy around the house are you?

I fiddle around with computers, take em part, put em together, change stuff...etc. Even fixed my daughter's ipod (which supposedly couldn't be done)

I'm lost around a toilet, a cabinet, the yard and even the car. I have no idea how to use a power drill.

My wife is kind of handy...so that helps.

Homo Electronicus
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    I fiddle around with computers, take em part, put em together, change stuff...etc. Even fixed my daughter's ipod (which supposedly couldn't be done)

I'm lost around a toilet, a cabinet, the yard and even the car. I have no idea how to use a power drill.

My wife is kind of handy...so that helps.

Homo Electronicus
    My love is electronics--simple analog stuff. Not good with computers/chips. Can do most things around the house except for plumbing. Can't do anything there.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

My house is over 100 years old, so I bought a 1951 version of the Home Repair book from Better Homes and Gardens, it's like having a blueprint to your home.

I've done alot of minor work, toilet replace etc... but I don't enjoy it... well more then paying out the nose for it.

Option 2, Bob. I fiddle around quite a bit with all kinds of stuff but I typically have little idea what I'm doing. I can run some fence or make minor repairs but I'm not much on major projects. My dad helped me build a loafing shed last spring. All I did was swing a hammer and cut where he told me to cut. He's the guru, not me.

Not a handy guy. I can turn a screwdriver, drill a pilot hole, hammer a nail, and that's about it.

Our house was built in the early 1940s. It had been through a decent renovation before we bought it 3 years ago. Plenty to do, though.

My wife has worked for both a home builder and an apartment construction / management companry, so it's usually pretty easy for her to get the name & number of a handyman to come over to take care of something for us. I work for a decent sized organization and I've gotten to know a couple of the maintenance guys. A couple times a year, they'll come over and take care of a list of a half-dozen things (replacing light fixtures/switches, minor carpentry & plumbing, installing a screen door, etc). My philosophy is that these folks (1) know what the heck they're doing, (2) have the tools, and (3) do great work for pretty reasonable money. I, on the other hand, don't have a clue what I'm doing, don't have anything beyond a basic tool set, and am pretty strapped for time. Therefore, we outsource.

I worked my way through college doing a variety of jobs... But one of them was working with my uncle as a general contractor. I learned to do almost every part of home building, except Pluming and electrical... SO I choose option 1.
    In those things which we commit to practice we can master, and with mastery we have the freedom to use these skills whenever we desire, without this practice we are slaves to our inability.

I'm halfway between "putter on the weekends" and "pay someone else to do it". Most real repair jobs I leave to the professionals, but recently I've been doing some work on my unfinished basement, making it into a liveable space for less than $1000. I finished the stairwell, installed some outlets, hung a couple pieces of drywall, painted the concrete walls, and got some free carpet from a friend and carpeted the stairs and the "living room" section of the basement. I plan to finish installing the carpet this weekend.

BTW - since this is "my" space, my wife is letting me turn it into a Reds room. And I'm getting a hefty bonus from work this year, so I'm getting a HD home theatre projector, too. I'll post some photos once it's done.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I do all right. Maybe not quite #1 but close to it. I won't build an addition onto the house but I can do most everything else. I do it myself mostly because I'm cheap.

I've done my share of ripping out old bathrooms and redoing them, laying ceramic floor tiles, new cabinets and counters, wiring rooms (I leave working at the breaker box to pros though), light fixtures/switches/outlets, basic plumbing (know the difference between copper and PVC), painting/wallpapering/"wall effects", hang drywall (have learned to hire out the finishing, I can do it but they are lot better at it), basic concrete (worked for a concrete company in college), wield my chainsaw with a flourish, new flowerbeds, put in a pond with a waterfall, etc etc.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

I understand GAC's pretty good with lawn mowers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I understand GAC's pretty good with lawn mowers.
    The investigation is still ongoing. But I've never let broken bones and 2nd degree burns ever get in the way of home repair. It sure didn't stop Wiley Coyote, and it ain't gonna stop me.

Bones heal, hair and eyebrows grow back; but being able to stand back on your crutches and bandages at the end of the day and admire a job well down?... Well, unless you've ever been there and experienced it, it's really hard to explain the euphoric feeling one experiences from that and the Percocet.

Owner's manuals are for idiots.

And at least I do know the proper way to use (and store) an awl.

Do-It-Yourself home repair is a high risk occupation. It's a percentage game where you learn to accept the good with the bad.

S*** happens!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Zoinks!

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    The investigation is still ongoing. But I've never let broken bones and 2nd degree burns ever get in the way of home repair. It sure didn't stop Wiley Coyote, and it ain't gonna stop me.
    :

Cool! You must own that nice Acme brand tool set

You can always tell when I have to do any type of plumbing around the house because the kids always learn a new word or two.

Quote Originally Posted by minus5 View Post
    Cool! You must own that nice Acme brand tool set

You can always tell when I have to do any type of plumbing around the house because the kids always learn a new word or two.
    I'm trying to get my oldest boy to go into plumbing. He already has the crack for it.

"In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Just say NO to crack, GAC!
    2023 Reds record attending: 13-18 FINAL
    2023 Dragons record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    2023 Y'Alls record attending: 0-0 FINAL
    "We want to be the band to dance to when the bomb drops." - Simon Le Bon of Duran Duran

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I'm trying to get my oldest boy to go into plumbing. He already has the crack for it.

I wish I could un-see that.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?