Turn Off Ads?

Thread: 49'ers Look to move to Santa Clara, CA

49'ers Look to move to Santa Clara, CA

On the heals of the A's proposed move out of Oakland (see posts on ORG and Reds Live) now the 49'ers appear to be ready to hit the bricks:

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -The 49ers have given up hope of building a state-of-the-art stadium in San Francisco and are considering a move to suburban Santa Clara.

Owner John York notified San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom of the team's decision Wednesday, the mayor's spokesman, Peter Ragone, told The Associated Press.

York planned to hold a news conference Thursday in Santa Clara to talk in detail about the decision. But in a news release announcing the decision issued late Wednesday night, York said the team will not change its name even if he decided to move.

"Nothing will persuade us to change the name of the San Francisco 49ers, one of the most storied brands in the world of sports," he said.

According to the release, York made his decision after a yearlong study of the area around Candlestick Park determined that the area needed too many infrastructure and public transit improvements to make a new stadium viable.

The team said the cost of those improvements could have exceeded the entire bill for the proposed stadium, which was estimated to cost between $600 million and $800 million.

Also, the team said it was unlikely it could achieve its goal of opening the new stadium in time for the 2012 season.

Now the team is seeking to build a new stadium in Santa Clara, near the Great America amusement park and the Santa Clara Convention Center. The 49ers headquarters and training facility are currently based in Santa Clara, which is located about 30 miles south of San Francisco, near San Jose.

"We have been looking to expand our entertainment options in the Great America-Convention Center area for years, and this stadium can be a great addition," Santa Clara Mayor Patricia Mahan said in a statement issued by the team. "The 49ers have been clear that their goal is to put together a project that has no impact on the city's general fund and no increase in taxes, and we are ready to give this project our full attention."

The 49ers and San Francisco officials had been talking over the last few months about building a privately financed stadium at Candlestick Point that was going to be part of the city's bid for the 2016 summer Olympics.

Ragone did not know how the 49ers' decision would impact the Olympic bid. San Francisco, Los Angeles and Chicago are the three cities competing to be the U.S. Olympic Committee's choice to bid on the 2016 games.

The team's current lease at Candlestick runs through the 2008 season and the team holds three five-year options that could extend it through 2023.

The current stadium at Candlestick is one of the most run-down in the league, leading to the team's desire to seek a new stadium with revenue-generating suites and luxury boxes. The plan to build a stadium also included public housing, retail and office space.

San Francisco was not going to contribute any money to the stadium but was willing to possibly help with some of the infrastructure costs.

The 49ers said if they are unable to move forward with the project in Santa Clara, they would only look at other cities in the region.

"The 49ers have called the Bay Area home for our entire 60 year history," York said. "We are a part of the fabric of this region, and we intend to stay right here where we belong."

Rem

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 49'ers Look to move to Santa Clara, CA

Los Angeles anyone?
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Los Angeles anyone?
    Just what I was thinking.
    Go Gators!

The Niners would never move, the Penisula wil make sure they stay, their base is huge and not disinterested.

I think it would be pretty tough to sell the 49'ers as the home team in LA since so many fans here still think of them as the 'enemy' going back to the Rams/49'ers' days.

And, frankly, a lot of football fans in Southern California like their football stadiums just the way they are---empty! So many fans here are fans of other teams (such as myself rooting for the Bengals) and we get to see better/more interesting games here without a 'home team'. I'll admit that we do get a lot of Chargers games here but they are sort of a faux home team, plus they are pretty good so they will be on a lot anyway.

Rem

For a Level Playing Field

Speaking of the 49ers...

Remember all the 49ers "fans" here in the midwest that came out of the woodwork back in the 1990's? 49ers hats, 49ers t-shirts, 49ers coats, etc, etc. Don't see much of that stuff around these parts anymore. Strange how all these "diehard 49ers fans" just fell off the face of the earth or moved to other parts of the world.

The bandwagon can be a slippery thing and cause lots of "diehard fans" to slide off...

Why are all the teams around here leaving me??
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

Quote Originally Posted by Super_Barry11 View Post
    Why are all the teams around here leaving me??

Coincidence? I think not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    Los Angeles anyone?
    It would certainly make the bootleg "L.A. 49'ers" shirts I saw for sale in the European street markets ten years ago oddly prophetic.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I'd think the Chargers will return to LA if LA really wants a team.
    Go Gators!

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    I think it would be pretty tough to sell the 49'ers as the home team in LA since so many fans here still think of them as the 'enemy' going back to the Rams/49'ers' days.

And, frankly, a lot of football fans in Southern California like their football stadiums just the way they are---empty! So many fans here are fans of other teams (such as myself rooting for the Bengals) and we get to see better/more interesting games here without a 'home team'. I'll admit that we do get a lot of Chargers games here but they are sort of a faux home team, plus they are pretty good so they will be on a lot anyway.

Rem
    How well does USC do in attendance? I follow USC somewhat, but am not sure how well fans pack the Coliseum.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    The Niners would never move, the Penisula wil make sure they stay, their base is huge and not disinterested.
    If they are going to keep the Niners, they better make some upgrades to Candlestick or cave in and build them a new stadium. The Giants had to build their own stadium without public funding, but I cant see York doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by RedFanAlways1966 View Post
    Speaking of the 49ers...

Remember all the 49ers "fans" here in the midwest that came out of the woodwork back in the 1990's? 49ers hats, 49ers t-shirts, 49ers coats, etc, etc. Don't see much of that stuff around these parts anymore. Strange how all these "diehard 49ers fans" just fell off the face of the earth or moved to other parts of the world.

The bandwagon can be a slippery thing and cause lots of "diehard fans" to slide off...
    Reminds me a lot of the Dallas Cowboys during the Aikman days. You dont see a lot of those anymore. Now its the Steelers and Patriots.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Sorry, I probably should have said "....pro football fans...". USC and UCLA both do fine at filling stadiums.

Rem

Quote Originally Posted by remdog View Post
    Sorry, I probably should have said "....pro football fans...". USC and UCLA both do fine at filling stadiums.

Rem
    I'm not sure what the barometer is for filling up a stadium but I went to the UCLA game a couple weeks ago and they had about 50k in the Rose Bowl. Pretty empty. Now I use my base as Ohio Stadium...but still.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

No matter where they are, they will always have a special place in my heart...as my most hated team. Well, right up there with the Steelers who have more recently moved to the top of that list. I'm still bitter over '81 and '88.

Turn Off Ads?