Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Freddie Adu to the EPL?

Freddie Adu to the EPL?

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...390809&cc=5901

Manchester United confirm Adu interest
    Reuters

MANCHESTER -- Manchester United have confirmed an interest in American teenage striker Freddy Adu.

Reports that the 17-year-old was due to have a training stint with the Premier League leaders were initially dismissed by United.

However, a spokesman for the club confirmed on Thursday that United were trying to sort out arrangements to bring Adu over to Old Trafford from the United States, where he plays for Major League Soccer (MLS) club D.C. United.

Confirmation of a trial spell is expected to come later this week.

The Washington Post reported on Wednesday that Adu had been given permission by D.C. United to train with Manchester United for two weeks later this month.

Once seen as key to the future of the U.S. game, the Ghanaian-born forward became the youngest player to represent the U.S. senior team when he made his debut against Canada in a friendly in San Diego in January, aged 16.
    Good move? I doubt MLS wants to see it's young budding star heading overseas.
    All models are wrong. Some of them are useful.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    University of Cincinnati

Re: Freddie Adu to the EPL?

David Beckham is headed to the L.A. Galaxy, maybe not a young budding star, but considered by many one of the best ever
    THE University of Cincinnati

It's better for Adu's development to play in a European league. I hope it works out.

It helps Adu, but does it help the MLS improve its talent level? I suppose that depends on what they do with the money.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paintmered View Post

Good move? I doubt MLS wants to see it's young budding star heading overseas.
    This is what the Japanese and Koreans feel when THEIR stars go to play in the US.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

It's soccer.

Just sayin....

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

I forget where I read it, but basically the article stated Adu should go to a different league than the EPL. He should go to something where his improvisational skills will better be put to use.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier Red View Post
    I forget where I read it, but basically the article stated Adu should go to a different league than the EPL. He should go to something where his improvisational skills will better be put to use.
    Spain
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

For a Level Playing Field

Ghanaian
    How many other words in the English language have "aia" in them?

Kind of a tough word to say at first. I had to try a couple of times to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Spain
    He needs to go to a English speaking country. Tactically I agree with you though.

I was a little apprehensive about the Adu hype before this season, not anymore. He's an incredible talent and supposedly has a great work ethic.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

I think it would be in the best interests of the American national team to have more of the good players competing in Europe. You let our youngsters hone their skills against the best competition in the world and then maybe they will perform a bit better in international competition. I know several Americans already play over there, but I can't help thinking that it could only benefit us to have more of them playing there, unless MLS ever improves to that caliber.

There has to be a mix for sure. MLS has to up its level of play, but the best players need to play in Europe to get better.

The only problem this creates is cohesion when the National team gets together, but that can be solved perhaps by a smaller national team player pool with players playing together more over a four year period.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Adu will have a lot of adjusting to do if he goes to the Prem. The game moves MUCH faster than it does anywhere else on earth and is very physical.

I think Adu should go overseas, but all he's going to do at Man U is warm a bench. The kid needs to play.

He'd do a lot better to go to Manchester City for the near term.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Turn Off Ads?