Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How About Bench And Filler Help

How About Bench And Filler Help

The Reds always have guys that need days off, get injured, have slumps etc, and Narron likes to micro manage a bit, for him to be successful making his frequent changes Narron has to have guys that can be counted on.

These seem to have the ability to field different positions, and have decent OBP, SLG and might be priced right this coming season.

How about the pro’s and cons on these guys?

• Dave Dellucci - 950,000 - 2006
      LF,RF,CF - AVG .292 | HR 13 | RBI 39 | OBP .369 | SLG .530
      Frank Catalanoto - 2,700,000 - 2006
      LF,RF,INF, AVG .300 | HR 7 | RBI 56 | OBP .376 | SLG .439
      Wes Helms - 800,000- 2006
      1B, 3B - AVG .329 | HR 10 | RBI 47 | OBP .390 | SLG .575
      Mark De Rosa -675,000 - 2006
      2B, SS, OF - AVG .296 | HR 13 | RBI 74 | OBP .357 | SLG .456
      Mark Loretta - 3,250,000 - 2006
      1B, 2B, 3B, SS - AVG .285 | HR 5 | RBI 59 | OBP .345 | SLG .361

Would of any of them be a good fit, bad fit, help out or not in your opinions?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How About Bench And Filler Help

Without looking too deeply, I'd say there's not a guy there who wouldn't be an improvement on the Reds bench. Personally (again, just off the cuff), I'd put Delucci and Helms at the top of the list.

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

I'll take Wes Helms and his .886 OPS in the last three years against lefties. Him and Hatteberg would make for a solid platoon over there at first base. I would like to have Delucci for a couple of years. Him and his .853 overall OPS is very solid and would make for good competition for Freel and my boy Denorfia. I like to have options and both of these guys seem to be good ones.

I really like the idea of a Helms/Hatteberg platoon. Didn't catalanatto used to play 2B?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like Helms. Delucci isn't as good w/o regular at bats.

Give me Helms and Dellucci and I'll be happy. If not Dellucci, then Catalanotto would be nice too.
    "Pam, I am public speaking...stop public interrupting me."
    -Michael Scott, "The Office"

"His capa was detated from his head!"
    -Michael Scott on the death of his former boss, Ed Truck, "The Office"

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Didn't catalanatto used to play 2B?
    Your right.
    His career stats indicate that he has played some 1st, 2nd, 3b, most recent seasons, RF and LF. I don't see many errors so in addition to his bat he must be a good fielder, I don't know anything about his range or if he gets to the balls he should.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post

• Dave Dellucci - 950,000 - 2006
      LF,RF,CF - AVG .292 | HR 13 | RBI 39 | OBP .369 | SLG .530
      Frank Catalanoto - 2,700,000 - 2006
      LF,RF,INF, AVG .300 | HR 7 | RBI 56 | OBP .376 | SLG .439
      Wes Helms - 800,000- 2006
      1B, 3B - AVG .329 | HR 10 | RBI 47 | OBP .390 | SLG .575
      Mark De Rosa -675,000 - 2006
      2B, SS, OF - AVG .296 | HR 13 | RBI 74 | OBP .357 | SLG .456
      Mark Loretta - 3,250,000 - 2006
      1B, 2B, 3B, SS - AVG .285 | HR 5 | RBI 59 | OBP .345 | SLG .361

This is good work. I like any of these guys. Catalanoto could start at 2B if BP goes to SS. I like Delucci a lot even thought he played college ball at Ole Miss. He could play RF for me every day. All he does is hit. The others appear to be good players for the money as well. Loretta is the most iffy of the bunch, I think.

I'm not sure who this Filler guy is but I think Bench is to old to still play!!
    Last edited by George Anderson; 11-09-2006 at 11:47 PM.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Delluci, Helms and Catalonotto are all significant upgrades for our ballclub.

Helms would be at 1B, Frank the Cat would be a better super sub than Ryan Freel, and Delluci would most likely man a corner OF spot on a regular basis.

The problem is, we won't get all three of these at the same time, so if the gun was to my head and I had to pick, I gotta go with Frank the Cat and stick him at 2B with Phillips at SS.

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    ...Narron likes to micro manage a bit, for him to be successful making his frequent changes Narron has to have guys that can be counted on.
    Or, perhaps the solution is to populate the bench with such dismal fodder that Narron is forced to stick with the starters.
    Makes all the routine posts.

my 2 cents

Dave Dellucci - I like him as a left fielder who plays against righties. His arm is bad so he can't really play RF. I am not sure there is a role for him on the Reds ( who already have 2 'left fielders' named Dunn & Griffey )

Frank Catalanoto - can he really still play 2B? I know Toronto had 2b/SS issues in 2006 and Catalanoto didn't play any at 2B.

Wes Helms - We have to get a right handed hitter who can play 1B. Helms is fine. Aurillia & Craig Wilson are the other free agent options.

Mark De Rosa & Mark Loretta - The Reds #1 need right now is a middle infielder. It will be interesting to see what WK does.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Or, perhaps the solution is to populate the bench with such dismal fodder that Narron is forced to stick with the starters.
    Been there done that already with Narron, Miley, Boone. All good things must come to an end. Time to start winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    You mean like Juan Castro and Royce Clayton..........................?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think delluci as a full time outfielder might not be to bad. In our park I think he could easily hit 30 homeruns. He seems to have a good bat, not to sure about his defense though.

Turn Off Ads?