Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does J.D. Drew pssibly mean Dunn to Dodgers?

Does J.D. Drew pssibly mean Dunn to Dodgers?

...to replace the lefty outfield bat, and the 100 RBIs? Who would you want from L.A. for Dunn (realistically)?
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Does J.D. Drew pssibly mean Dunn to Dodgers?

No.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Well if I was Krivsky I would be on the phone right now with Coletti offering him this deal:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn

Dodgers trade: Andre Ethier(of) and Johnathon Broxton(RP)

The Reds then use the $$$ saved on Dunn to acquire a solid #2 or 3 pitcher like Vincente Padilla, Ted Lilly, or Andy Petitte.

Actually, if I were Krivsky, I'd be trying to accquire Drew to go along with Dunn.

Talk about a guy that can cover some ground....
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

Jd Drew opted out of his contract.....that makes hima FA. But at what cost does he sign for us. he already turned down 3years 33 million. I for one would not offer anything but 4years 36million. Sorry if a repost.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I'd rather deal with LA Angels.

Billingsley or Broxton would be guys I target

I'd want Billingsley, from Defiance, Ohio.

My guess is Drew goes home to Georgia.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Not that's it got a snowball's chance of happening, but plugging Drew into RF/CF, playing Freel at 2B, with Phillips at SS would make one heck of a lineup.

Freel 2B
    Dunn LF
    Drew RF/CF when Griffey's out
    Encarnacion 3B
    Griffey CF
    Hatteberg/Votto 1B
    Ross C
    Phillips SS

Of course an OF consisting of two of the most oft injured players in the game would require a good 4th guy, and Freel would see lots of time out there as well.

Drew's a guy that can fill all of their offensive needs, and he's no slouch defensively.

Of course it's a pie in the sky idea, and the signing would probably prohibit them from accquiring pitching, but a fella can dream.
    Last edited by wheels; 11-10-2006 at 08:34 AM.
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

J.D. Drew opting out of his guaranteed 3-year contract worth $33 million dollars simply means that Cincinnati might be wise to sit out the free-agent market this off-season. At the very least they should tread carefully. With the influx of television revenue, overpaying is likely to be a way of life in baseball this winter.
    Last edited by texasdave; 11-10-2006 at 09:07 AM.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

To me, the real danger in this market isn't giving a JD Drew or Aramis Ramirez 15MM. It's giving Adam Kennedy 5MM. At least those first two will give you some value. There are going to be some very very mediocre players getting nice money, particularly once Soriano and Carlos Lee sign and the market starts to shrink.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    To me, the real danger in this market isn't giving a JD Drew or Aramis Ramirez 15MM. It's giving Adam Kennedy 5MM. At least those first two will give you some value. There are going to be some very very mediocre players getting nice money, particularly once Soriano and Carlos Lee sign and the market starts to shrink.
    Exactly. There are a handful of players that will be worth the money. But what is the likelihood of one of them ending up in Cincinnati? After that handful is gone there is still going to be a lot of clubs with television revenue stuffed in their pockets. And they are going to be feeling the pressure from fans to improve their club. And that is when the overpaying will begin IMO.

the tigers overpaid and got to the world series this year. pudge, rogers and jones all got contracts that no one else would match. if the reds want to make some noise they are going to have to open the piggy bank up. i'm not holding my breath!
    there's nothing like bowling a 300 game! 13 now and retired.

Ricky henderson has a higher OBP than C. patterson and he's retired. C. Trent 6-14-2008

Quote Originally Posted by toledodan View Post
    the tigers overpaid and got to the world series this year. pudge, rogers and jones all got contracts that no one else would match. if the reds want to make some noise they are going to have to open the piggy bank up. i'm not holding my breath!
    The Tigers also endured many years of misery and last-place finishes. Their home-grown pitching (Bonderman, Verlander, Zumaya, Rodney, etc.) played a bigger role in their World Series appearance than Pudge, Rogers, and Todd "Ugly Saves" Jones.

Overspending for the sake of overspending gets you guys like Eric Milton.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    ...to replace the lefty outfield bat, and the 100 RBIs? Who would you want from L.A. for Dunn (realistically)?
    Who replaces Dunn?

Because what is said about Drew applies to Dunn as well.

"He led the club in RBIs. You just don't snap your fingers and find another player like that," Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti said on a conference call.

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Well if I was Krivsky I would be on the phone right now with Coletti offering him this deal:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn

Dodgers trade: Andre Ethier(of) and Johnathon Broxton(RP)

The Reds then use the $$$ saved on Dunn to acquire a solid #2 or 3 pitcher like Vincente Padilla, Ted Lilly, or Andy Petitte.

I like that trade proposal.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?