Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does J.D. Drew pssibly mean Dunn to Dodgers?

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Re: Does J.D. Drew pssibly mean Dunn to Dodgers?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    I like that trade proposal.
    which means it is unlikly to happen.. Broxton is a must for us in the deal but to get Ethier as well wont happen.. LA loves the kid
    Last edited by RedLegSuperStar; 11-10-2006 at 12:14 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by schroomytunes View Post
    Well if I was Krivsky I would be on the phone right now with Coletti offering him this deal:

Reds trade: Adam Dunn

Dodgers trade: Andre Ethier(of) and Johnathon Broxton(RP)

The Reds then use the $$$ saved on Dunn to acquire a solid #2 or 3 pitcher like Vincente Padilla, Ted Lilly, or Andy Petitte.
    How about Dunn and Milton for Ethier, Broxton and Lowe? You can then still go after Padilla or Lilly with the same payroll. Of course, you may have to give the Dodgers either dollars or another prospect to take Uncle Milty, but he would probably perform ok in Dodger Stadium.
    Hacktastic: The Story of the 2014 Cincinnati Reds

Andre Ethier put up mediocre numbers in his minor league career, and his post-ASB numbers this season were a boring .277/.337/.429.

I don't understand what's so great about him.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Who replaces Dunn?

Because what is said about Drew applies to Dunn as well.
    Yes, it's obvious Dunn's production would have to be replaced, hopefully by a player(s) that could add some defense too.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Wheelhouse View Post
    Yes, it's obvious Dunn's production would have to be replaced, hopefully by a player(s) that could add some defense too.
    LF Defense is equal to the mole on Cindy Crawford's face.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

that is great.. nuff said!

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I have no idea if Drew would sign here and at what cost. Given his refusal to sign with Philly as a draftee, I'm certainly doubtful. That said, if you could do a Dunn/Bonderman deal and sign Drew to fill his shoes at a similar price, I'd be THRILLED! Yes, Drew has injury issues. But quite frankly, I'm not convinced that a 280 lb Dunn isn't going to start becoming injury prone himself in the very near future.

For those who may not realize it, Drew is a very good offensive player, out OPS'ing Dunn over his career (.286/.393/.512). He's also a GG caliber defender in RF. It also opens up LF for Junior. An outfield of Jr./Deno/Drew goes from being one of the worst to above average. Freel shifts back in to his utility role, giving us a capable 4th OF given Drew's issues.

If you can add Bonderman to the rotation and replace Dunn with Drew, I think we move to legitimate playoff contender status with the only real payroll addition being the (hopeful) extension given to Bonderman
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I have no idea if Drew would sign here and at what cost. Given his refusal to sign with Philly as a draftee, I'm certainly doubtful. That said, if you could do a Dunn/Bonderman deal and sign Drew to fill his shoes at a similar price, I'd be THRILLED! Yes, Drew has injury issues. But quite frankly, I'm not convinced that a 280 lb Dunn isn't going to start becoming injury prone himself in the very near future.

For those who may not realize it, Drew is a very good offensive player, out OPS'ing Dunn over his career (.286/.393/.512). He's also a GG caliber defender in RF. It also opens up LF for Junior. An outfield of Jr./Deno/Drew goes from being one of the worst to above average. Freel shifts back in to his utility role, giving us a capable 4th OF given Drew's issues.

If you can add Bonderman to the rotation and replace Dunn with Drew, I think we move to legitimate playoff contender status with the only real payroll addition being the (hopeful) extension given to Bonderman

I agree Drew + Bonderman > Dunn. I'd be happy if the Reds could pull it off.

I just don't think it's realistic.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

I'd like to see Matt Kemp included in the trade. I can't find his career Minor League stats, but I do have 2005 and 2006 and got to see him play several times here in Las Vegas.

In 2005, he hit .306, 27 HRs, and stole 23 bases (caught 6 times) with 90 RBIs and an OPS of .918. He struck out 92 times and walked 25 times in 418 ABs.

Last year, 2006, he hit .346, only 10 HRs, stole 25 bases (caught 5 times) with 70 RBIs and an OPS of .957. His K total dropped to 64 and BBs increased to 37 in 381 ABs.

He was called up to the Big Club and hit .253 with 7 HRs and 6 SBs in 154 ABs. His OPS with the Dodgers was .737 and he did strike out 53 times.

Still, not terrible numbers for his first 150 ABs in the Majors. I really like his Minor League numbers and was told by the GM of the Dodgers AAA team that Kemp was the best he's seen come through the system.

Defensively, the stats aren't there to support or argue his talents other than he committed only three errors in 2006.

His time in 2005 was spent with AA Jax and he split time in 2006 between AA Jax and AAA Las Vegas. He just turned 22 years old in September. I like his future.
    A flute with no holes is not a flute. A doughnut with no holes is a danish. -- Zen Philosopher Basho

www.OnCampusSports.com -- college sports covered by college students

That's well thought out--a ball hit to left field counts less than one hit to center or SS. And frankly, the metaphor supports my point: Cindy Crawford was set apart, and excelled as a model because of the mole on her face.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

That's well thought out--a ball hit to left field counts less than one hit to center or SS. And frankly, the metaphor supports my point: Cindy Crawford was set apart, and excelled as a model because of the mole on her face.
    I never noticed her mole. I was busy looking at the rest of her.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Touch This View Post
    I can't find his career Minor League stats
    www.thebaseballcube.com is your friend!
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

you're missing the point.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defensive_spectrum

In Sabermetrics, the defensive spectrum is the graphical representation of the positions on a baseball field, arranged from top (the easiest defensive positions) to bottom (the hardest).

The defensive spectrum looks like this:

1. Designated hitter
    2. First baseman
    3. Left fielder
    4. Right fielder
    5. Third baseman
    6. Center fielder
    7. Second baseman
    8. Shortstop
    9. Catcher
    10. Pitcher

Like many original sabermetric concepts, the idea of a defensive spectrum was first introduced by Bill James in his Baseball Abstract series of books during the 1980s. The basic premise of the spectrum is that positions at the bottom end are more difficult than the positions at the top end of the spectrum. Therefore, the positions at the top are easier to fill, since the physical demands are less as you move left along the spectrum. A corollary to this is the fact that, since defensive skill is at less of a premium at the top end, players at those positions must provide more offense than those at the bottom end. Another corollary is that players can generally move from bottom to top along the spectrum successfully during their careers.

[edit] Shifts in the Defensive Spectrum

The defensive spectrum has shifted only once in the 130 year history of baseball. In the late 1800s and early 1900s, third base was generally considered to be more challenging than second base. This was because the double play was relatively uncommon in this period; thus, the third baseman, who had to field hard hit grounders and throw the ball 120 feet to first base, had a far more challenging job than the second baseman, who threw the ball 70 feet at most. The result of this was that there were far more good hitters at second base than third; great-hitting early second baseman include Nap Lajoie and Rogers Hornsby. This defensive spectrum looked something like this:

1. Designated hitter
    2. First baseman
    3. Left fielder
    4. Right fielder
    5. Second baseman
    6. Center fielder
    7. Third baseman
    8. Shortstop
    9. Catcher
    10. Pitcher

However, by the 1920s and 1930s, the defensive spectrum was beginning to shift. Double plays were becoming steadily more common, increasing the defensive responsibilities of second base. Offense was therefore increasingly important at third base. One of the first new third baseman was Harlond Clift of the St. Louis Browns, who was notable as one of the first third baseman to hit 30 home runs. By 1945, second base was firmly established as a more defensively important position than third base.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Clearly Cindy Crawford is/was ugly, and clearly Adam Dunn's defensive woes are the biggest issue facing the Reds from improving as a team.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    I never noticed her mole. I was busy looking at the rest of her.
    Cindy Crawford has a mole? I never noticed.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Turn Off Ads?