Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Buster Olney, Defense, & my favorite chart

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Buster Olney, Defense, & my favorite chart

Over at THT, there's an article about the current state of defensive analysis in reaction to a post by Buster Olney which was also quoted here. Here's the article: http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/ar...cating-buster/

One of things I love about it is the chart used about 2/3 of the way down. In my mind it's brilliant -- Edward Tufte would be proud. Anyways, check it out -- especially those looking for some more background on defensive stats.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Buster Olney, Defense, & my favorite chart

I don't know how you guys feal about the validity of the data being presented in the charts RMR refered to, but I'm working from the assumption the data is valid.

Those are VERY helpfull charts for me (1) I am very visual (2) they break the information down in digestiable chunks instead of entire computer screen of numbers.

Many thanks to RMR. Would love to see said charts on various reds players.

Well...depending on the player...maybe I wouldn't.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-10-2006 at 03:07 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

I would love to see the red line weighted in thickness based on the number/percentage of balls fielded in that vector. Otherwise, Jeter's massive deficiency going to his right looks worse that it is in practice.

Of course, this would also mean more if you showed ARod. Perhaps Jeter is shading his left because he knows ARod has good range and will help cover him. Graph those two on the same X-Axis and see where the Yankes are collectively weak.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-10-2006 at 03:47 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I wouldn't mind picking up Adam Everett. I don't know if i believe in a synogystic effect, but i wonder if the pitchers become more aware of throwing the ball low when you have a SS like this. Seems lie you could pick him up for a low price -defensive stats are often considered not valid (as mentioned in the article). But if you could really believe in such a thing --couldn't you make the case that Everett is an above average SS?

2 years ago GABP's grass slowed down ground balls in a big way ---it really was a neutral park because of the high grass in the infield. Is the grass still as high? I'm guessing not.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

That's some solid stuff. Thanks for posting it, RMR.
    Not all who wander are lost

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

So if I'm reading the cool little color charts correctly, it basically confirms my belief that Derek Jeter is a highly overrated that deserves no Gold Gloves, and Adam Everett is a lot better than I ever knew.

My only question is how much do other fielders influence the outcome of these results? Since PayRod joined the Yankees, Jeter can shade himself more up the middle at SS since he knows #13 can essentially cover his butt on balls in the hole. I suppose the same could be said for the 2B/1B side of the field, but I think you'd see more influence from a 3B helping the SS.

A lot of the good defensive metrics take into account things like the player playing next to him, the slowness of infield, the number of lefties on squad...heck the Baseball Fielding Bible watches every play on video tape. It ain't like they are guessing.

Turn Off Ads?