Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would You Deal Homer Bailey For...?

Would You Deal Homer Bailey For...?

Would you deal the Reds best pitching prospect Homer Bailey in a deal to Florida for LHP Dontrelle Willis?

If the Reds offered a packaged deal of Denorfia, Bailey and Coffey for Willis, would you do it knowing that a big three of Willis, Arroyo and Harang would give the Reds its best starting staff in recent years.

Just want to hear your opinions.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Would You Deal Homer Bailey For...?

I wouldn't. A career WHIP of 1.30 and a career of pitching in a pitcher friendly stadium with a plus defense tells me not to trade the best pitching prospect in the minors for a guy who's cheap years are behind him.

Would I love to have Dontrelle Willis on my team? Without a doubt. But if I'm gonna pay him 12+MM per by the time the ink is dry on a contract extention, why not just go out and spend that money in free agency and keep my in house talent?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

No

When the Reds were in contention during the season, I would have done the deal. Now, I wouldn't trade Bailey unless some other dynamic moves can assure another contending team.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

USA Today is trumpeting a better deal

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2...d-trades_x.htm

Dontrelle Willis to Mets

(The deal: Mets get LHP Dontrelle Willis. Marlins get OF Lastings Milledge, RHP Aaron Heilman, LHP Royce Ring.)

Battle Toad Historian thatcoolguy_22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    USA Today is trumpeting a better deal

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/2...d-trades_x.htm
    All monumental trade offered by the Mets aside, I would. I remember a scout on this site throwing a number something like 4 of 18 curveballs for strikes and 50 of 75 pitches being fastballs? I will say it again, proven major league talent (that is still young by the way) over a prospect everytime! Would you have traded Brandon Larson before he hit the majors for a young Javier Vazquez? You would have been in the minority at the time considered Vazquez was only 9-8 in 99 but he was still in the majors and coming on strong down the stretch. IMHO

Homer for Brandon Webb...straight up trade...
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

Quote Originally Posted by thatcoolguy_22 View Post
    All monumental trade offered by the Mets aside, I would. I remember a scout on this site throwing a number something like 4 of 18 curveballs for strikes and 50 of 75 pitches being fastballs? I will say it again, proven major league talent (that is still young by the way) over a prospect everytime! Would you have traded Brandon Larson before he hit the majors for a young Javier Vazquez? You would have been in the minority at the time considered Vazquez was only 9-8 in 99 but he was still in the majors and coming on strong down the stretch. IMHO

That wasn't a scout, that was TC mumbling something he "heard" a scout say about a Bailey start. Though, if you want to look at his curve/fastball combo working, his last real full start of last year is a good example of that.

Quote Originally Posted by George Foster View Post
    Homer for Brandon Webb...straight up trade...
    I'd be far more than just OK with that. In fact, I'd be so OK with that I'd offer any other two prospects (their choice) from our minor league system plus Bailey.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Not a chance.

Can Willis roam centerfield too? I know he can hit.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    That wasn't a scout, that was TC mumbling something he "heard" a scout say about a Bailey start. Though, if you want to look at his curve/fastball combo working, his last real full start of last year is a good example of that.
    Mumbling something? Hmmm

Actually it was our Scouting Director who was beginning his year end round up when he saw Homer in that game. He also saw Homer pitch a start or two later where Homer showed "some" progression.

BTW Homer Bailey is right where he needs to be in this stage of his career. Pitching, learning and building confidence.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

Quote Originally Posted by SteelSD View Post
    I'd be far more than just OK with that. In fact, I'd be so OK with that I'd offer any other two prospects (their choice) from our minor league system plus Bailey.
    Bailey, Bruce, and Votto seems like a big price to pay for Webb.

He is the exact guy that the Reds should target, but he's going to get very expensive very quickly. With a payroll that's going to be no higher than 75M, the Reds can't afford to deal the only talent they have in the minors, while adding any payroll flexibility the Reds have.

I would deal him in a heartbeat for the D train. Not only can he pitch, he can go yard. We need another solid starter now, not 3 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    Bailey, Bruce, and Votto seems like a big price to pay for Webb.
    I'd make that deal fourteen times every hour for three or four weeks. And I'd drive to Arizona to pick Webb up and bring him to Cincy--even if it meant listening to Eddie Money cas-singles the whole way.

I'd try to weasel my way out of having to give up Bruce, but I'd cave pretty quickly.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Turn Off Ads?