Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Reds sign Bubba Crosby

Reds sign Bubba Crosby

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

"We're getting a guy that's been on winning teams, that plays the game the right way, that always plays it hard and can play all three outfield positions," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "We're happy to have him."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds sign Bubba Crosby

Ok, they're cliches and we can jump all over them. But I would say there's some truth in this case. The "plays on winning teams" thing is bull (it's not important, I mean). But the rest is true. He's a traditionally scrappy, incredibly hard-working, hard-playing type of player. Low-cost, low-risk move.

You guys have to remember that this is the Reds, and the great majority of their fanbase, excepting the freaks like us, read the press releases for newly-signed bench players for five seconds and don't give it a second thought. These soundbytes are what people are trained to give because it's what the public is trained to hear. A lot of Reds fans don't know who the hell Bubba Crosby is. Everything said above is pretty much all the front office can say at this point, and all the public can digest.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Reds and 26.2's

So the Reds signed Bubba Crosby...

yay

WE NEED PITCHERS!

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Ok, they're cliches and we can jump all over them. But I would say there's some truth in this case. The "plays on winning teams" thing is bull (it's not important, I mean). But the rest is true. He's a traditionally scrappy, incredibly hard-working, hard-playing type of player. Low-cost, low-risk move.
    Would you be saying any of this if he wasn't a former Yankee?

Crosby is not a good baseball player. He's never been a good baseball player. The Reds have been accumulating guys they claim "play the game the right way" for six years now and have been a losing team for six years. I'm getting sick and tired of these platitudes.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It's a $400,000 Major League contract...it being a Major League contract protects him on the 40 man roster...if he spends his year in the majors (I don't have exact numbers), he gets all the money...if he spends it in the minors, he gets $75,000 or so.

(info from Reds.com and Fox Sports Radio)

I would imagine the part that he needs to work on that Krivsky was referring to was "how to be almost mediocre." Geesh.
    This place use to be fun

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post

Crosby is not a good baseball player. He's never been a good baseball player. The Reds have been accumulating guys they claim "play the game the right way" for six years now and have been a losing team for six years. I'm getting sick and tired of these platitudes.
    Yes, I would. I like him. "He's never been a good baseball player" according to whom? He's quick, he has good range in the field, and he's got a great arm. Would I like him as an everyday outfielder? No, although I think defensively, barring injury, he holds up to a lot of the current outfielders on our roster. (And I certainly don't believe that the Reds intend to put him in the outfield every day.) But we run around this board saying that the Reds can't spend a lot of money on big-name players, and then when they make what is essentially a no-risk move for a bench player at the start of the off-season -- a bench player who covers a few deficiences on this team in troubled late innings -- then everybody freaks out. All general management moves are not equal.

If you truly believe that the management of this team sits around their board room and on their conference calls making decisions about players because only due to their "playing the game the right way", then that's one thing. I happen to think that a lot of that is lip service for the papers and the casual fan and that the actual decisions they make involve, you know, stats and things like that, things like realizing that Crosby is very likely to spend some time in the minors next year and so that essentially amounts to $75,000 for a decent defensive option, but maybe I'm crazy. Because I'm a Yankees fan and all.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

As a bench-option, he's a shade above awful with the stick and a shade above average with the glove. Not a move I can get too mad about, given the shortness of the contract and the small amount of dollars being spent, but not a move that I really care too much for either.

Given his marginal talent level (he barely OPS'd .760 as a minor leaguer), he's in no danger of beating out anyone on the roster, as it is comprised right now, for a spot on the team.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

If he isn't good enough for the Yankees, then why do the Reds want him?

plays the game the right way is a euphemism for makes outs and is white

Quote Originally Posted by dsmith421 View Post
    Would you be saying this if you weren't ticked about the Reds signing Crosby?
    How do we know he's not Mel Torme?

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

No press conference?

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...s.jsp?c_id=cin
    11/10/06 Released RHP Jason Standridge; Signed OF Bubba Crosby to a one-year Major League contract.

This is interesting that Standridge was released.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...s.jsp?c_id=cin
    11/10/06 Released RHP Jason Standridge; Signed OF Bubba Crosby to a one-year Major League contract.

This is interesting that Standridge was released.
    Standridge--the Billy Martin of fringe pitchers.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by redsupport View Post
    plays the game the right way is a euphemism for makes outs and is white
    Brilliant. I'm telling you, Podsednik is right around the corner, folks.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-10-2006 at 08:01 PM.

Turn Off Ads?