Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Who is Manny Acta?

Who is Manny Acta?

...And why are the Nationals going to name his as manager?
    WASHINGTON (AP) -- Mets third-base coach Manny Acta is expected to be hired by the Washington Nationals as their new manager, a baseball official told The Associated Press on Saturday.
    The official, speaking on condition of anonymity because the Nationals hadn't made an announcement, said he had been told that Acta is getting the job.
    He also said that, as of Saturday night, Acta had not formally informed the Mets he would be leaving.
    Acta -- the Montreal Expos' third-base coach from 2002-04, before the franchise moved to Washington -- had been scheduled to interview with the Oakland Athletics on Sunday for their managerial opening, but he withdrew from consideration for that job.
    Nationals president Stan Kasten and general manager Jim Bowden did not immediately return phone messages Saturday night.
    Washington has tried to keep a tight lid on its search to replace manager Frank Robinson, who was told during the last week of the regular season that he would not be returning.
    Among the candidates were Lou Piniella, who publicly ruled himself out for the Nationals' job before being hired by the Chicago Cubs, and former Florida Marlins manager Joe Girardi, who said he was pulling himself out of the running in Washington.
    Acta said he interviewed with the Nationals last month, meeting with Kasten, Bowden and members of the ownership group.
    "I thought it went real well," Acta said this week while on a trip to Japan with a group of major league stars. "I'm familiar with the organization. The whole process really impressed me. They have a plan in place, and with the new stadium coming up, it's a very attractive job, so I hope I get it."
    Citing a high-ranking baseball official, MLB.com reported that Acta will become the Nationals' manager on Tuesday. ESPN.com cited unidentified sources in reporting that Acta's hiring will be announced during next week's general managers' meetings in Naples, Fla.
    AP Baseball Writer Ronald Blum in New York contributed to this report.
    Updated on Saturday
    I admit to not knowing many behind the scenes guys - and it looks like Acta is one of them. I have noticed he has interviewed for a couple of previous jobs (Arizona, LA), so perhaps this is a guy who is finally getting his rightful chance?
    Or is this another example of Leatherpants hiring the wrong guy at the wrong time?
    I seriously don't have any idea, and was wondering if anyone more educated than myself would have a clue.
    Last edited by MrCinatit; 11-12-2006 at 12:06 AM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Re: Who is Manny Acta?

He's on the Mets coaching staff. Managed the Dominican World Baseball classic team. If I recall correctly, he's interviewed quite a bit over the past several years. He probably isn't as big a "name" because he hasn't managed in the majors before. However, he's not a totally out-of-left-field hire.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Because no one of any stripe wants to work with a criminal mentality like Jim Bowden.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Manny Acta is a younger Felipe Alou.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

2 words for you..... Sparky Anderson.

Another 2 words for you about the game of baseball..... "You just never know"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    2 words for you..... Sparky Anderson.

Another 2 words for you about the game of baseball..... "You just never know"
    This is exactly what I thought, though my example was Tom Kelley.

Turn Off Ads?