Turn Off Ads?

Thread: John Fays Article in todays paper

John Fays Article in todays paper

"The difference between shaping the roster for 2007 and 2006 for Wayne Krivsky is pretty stark.
    "I've got the whole winter instead of a week," Krivsky said.
    Winter is a ways away on the calendar, but as far as baseball, it starts this weekend. Krivsky is heading to Naples, Fla., for the general managers meetings, where trade talks start to heat up. Clubs are also free to contact free agents from other teams after today.
    "We've had some (trade) conversations already," Krivsky said. "But sometimes it's better to get together face-to-face."
    Krivsky plays his cards like he's in the World Series of Poker - he won't give a clue to what his plans are beyond the standard, "I'm looking at any way to improve the club."
    But it's pretty clear the most pressing needs for the Reds are a shortstop and a closer.
    The Reds have an internal option as far as shortstop. Moving Brandon Phillips there remains a possibility.
    "There's a chance of that," Krivsky said. "He showed what he could do at second. He's athletic enough to play short. He's played a lot there in the past."
    Phillips moving to short would open a spot at second. The Reds could fill that with Ryan Freel or by re-signing Rich Aurilia.
    The free-agent shortstop list is fairly underwhelming.
    (It should be noted right here that all the names mentioned from here to the end of this column are merely on free-agent lists. I have no earthly idea if the Reds will pursue any of them.)

Alex Gonzalez is the best defensive option at short. He had only seven errors in 111 games last year. But he hit .255 with a .299 on-base percentage.

He did hit nine home runs and drive in 50 runs. But the Reds already have a slick-fielding, light-hitting shortstop on the roster in Juan Castro.

Julio Lugo is also out there. He hit .278 with 12 homers and 37 RBI last year.

It's highly unlikely that the Reds will try to fill the closer role with someone on the current roster. The top candidates would be Todd Coffey and Bill Bray. Coffey struggled in that role last year, as did Bray.

"It's an obvious question," Krivsky said. "Who's going to close? We might not have the luxury of having one guy."

The list of free agents is intriguing. Joe Borowski, who saved 36 games for Florida, is a free agent, although the Marlins are still interested.

There are plenty of guys who were successful in the past - Dan Kolb, LaTroy Hawkins, Octavio Dotel, Scott Williamson - who are trying to regain their health or form.

The one thing to be very conscious of this offseason is the Bob Castellini Factor. Castellini wants to win desperately.
    You can rest assured his instructions to Krivsky weren't "think small, think cheap."
    Krivsky has a payroll number to work with. It's a well-guarded secret. The guess here is the payroll will be $75 million or so. The Reds probably won't be bidding on Alfonso Soriano or Jason Schmidt. But, again, with Castellini you never know.
    Krivsky and Castellini will talk a lot this week. "He's in the loop," Krivsky said. "It starts with him."
    So stay tuned. Baseball's winter is about to start."

I would add Chad Bradford, to this list... I would also like to see if Criag Wilson would come here.. he is better bat over Perez.. and he can play RF and 1B.. even Shannon Stewart, if he is healthy.. i dont know his status.

also they should bring back Scott Schoenewies and trade Cormier.

Borowski as our closer??

Also what if after hiring Dick Pole this would give us a shot at Greg Maddux???
    or David Dellucci/Jose Gullien?

i honestly feel Dunn will be gone for a blockbuster for A-Rod or Tejada (Bob knows the Cubs and Astros want either player and i cant see him not pony up).. just my gut feeling...

Anyway we should see a fun off season and nothing like under Lindner!!!

"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: John Fays Article in todays paper

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan4445
    Also what if after hiring Dick Pole this would give us a shot at Greg Maddux???
    I never thought of that.
    Maddox attributed a lot of his early success to Pole, as I remember from a previous statement in another post.
    And I like Maddox, a lot. I believe he would be valuable not only in talent, but in teaching experience.

Maddux would likely make a nasty dent in the payroll ceiling of the club, while only providing 5 + innings an outing. I'd take him, obviously, if money is no object, but you know how that goes....
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    Maddux would likely make a nasty dent in the payroll ceiling of the club, while only providing 5 + innings an outing. I'd take him, obviously, if money is no object, but you know how that goes....
    That is going to be a huge problem this year, me thinks. Early indications are, pitching will not just be overpaid - it will be obscenely overpaid.
    I have a slim hope that Maddux would take less to be with an old friend - but it is a slim hope.

Quote Originally Posted by MrCinatit View Post
    That is going to be a huge problem this year, me thinks. Early indications are, pitching will not just be overpaid - it will be obscenely overpaid.
    I have a slim hope that Maddux would take less to be with an old friend - but it is a slim hope.
    The funny thing is that being "overpaid" is all relative to the market. If pitching, as a whole, is "overpaid", then it isn't really overpaying, rather it is the norm. Some FOs think it is still 1989 and $3 million will get you a front line starter.

When does the GM meetings start?Does it start Mon. or next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by fewfirstchoice View Post
    When does the GM meetings start?Does it start Mon. or next weekend.
    tomorrow 11/13/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I wonder if having Maddux around might make an impact on Harang, Arroyo and Bailey? If so, it might be worth ponying up even though he will not be all that good and he will be expensive. If we keep Lohse, could watching Maddux and learning from him be the thing that gets him over the hump? Because he has the raw talent.

Arroyo, Harang, Maddux, Lohse, Bailey has the potential to be a very good rotation if Maddux can have a positive impact on a guy like Lohse. I was against it before, preferring Schmidt, but it might not be such a bad idea.

Maddux isn't coming to Cincy for any amount of money. I have a better chance of going to the moon.

Quote Originally Posted by buckeyenut View Post
    I wonder if having Maddux around might make an impact on Harang, Arroyo and Bailey? If so, it might be worth ponying up even though he will not be all that good and he will be expensive. If we keep Lohse, could watching Maddux and learning from him be the thing that gets him over the hump? Because he has the raw talent.

Arroyo, Harang, Maddux, Lohse, Bailey has the potential to be a very good rotation if Maddux can have a positive impact on a guy like Lohse. I was against it before, preferring Schmidt, but it might not be such a bad idea.
    The Reds have lacked a real veteran presence in the clubhouse for a long time. That's why they keep signing the Clayton's and Hatteburg's. Signing Maddux to a 1 year deal would be a great idea.

I don't like any article that mentions Dan Kolb as a potential closer.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

How about signing Eric Gagne to a one year deal loaded with incentives plus an option for a second season?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?