Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bengals putting a beat-down on San Diego

Re: Bengals putting a beat-down on San Diego

If they were to fire Bresnahan after today, I'd be fine with it.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

2. Turn Off Ads?

That was the worst single half defensive performance I have ever witnessed in a pro football game.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by MWM View Post
    Sad. The Bengals has 545 yards of offense against a really good defense and lost the game.
    Welcome to my world. Not a good place to be.
    "The problem with strikeouts isn't that they hurt your team, it's that they hurt your feelings..." --Rob Neyer

"The single most important thing for a hitter is to get a good pitch to hit. A good hitter can hit a pitch that’s over the plate three times better than a great hitter with a ball in a tough spot.”
    --Ted Williams

At one point today Cincy was up 28-7 and Bal was down 26-10. Things were looking like this season might turn back around. Next thing you know Tenn remembered who they are and LT not only ruined the Bengals season for me, but killed me in my fantasy match-up today.

Quote Originally Posted by KittyDuran View Post
    Wily you jinxed them!
    That's what I'm thinking!!

Wow... just wow. What a bad defense. lol you almost just have to laugh it's so bad.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    If they were to fire Bresnahan after today, I'd be fine with it.
    Me too. This team hasn't had a good defense while Marvin has been head coach, and could never stop the run. After todays embarassment on national TV I'd send him packing. There is NO excuse for today, I don't want to hear about injuries either, a group of NFL players should be able to hold a 21 point first half lead.

This team is done for the year. Simply pathetic.

While I know none of them personally, the defense just must have no heart. I don't care what kind of position or system the coaches are putting you in, if you give up 42 points in a single half when you have a 21 point lead then you are gutless.

Another thing, I am sick and tired of seeing other teams dive at Palmer's knees or knock receivers out with no retaliation on the Bengals part. It even goes back to 2004 when Tony Williams' career ended with a dirty hit by a Bronco lineman. I'm not calling for a Bengal to end someone's career but something has to be done.

It's too bad really, because the second half of last week and the entire game today shows that the offense is back.

4-5 isn't a record you can't come back from to make the playoffs. But there's just no way it can happen without a complete defensive overhaul. I'm surprised Marvin's done nothing to address the passrush in the 4 years he's been there. That was one of the hallmark's of his past defensive juggernauts. And I thought the Sam Adams move wasn't a good one when it happened, and it appears to be worthless now. The Sam Adams signing was a very Reds-esque move.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

And I thought the Sam Adams move wasn't a good one when it happened, and it appears to be worthless now. The Sam Adams signing was a very Reds-esque move.
    I think you're right-on with that. He's not made a bit of a difference. The offense looked great (except for a couple of critical dropped passes (Housh and Henry).

Question: on the cheapshot that TJ took, why was there not also a personal foul penalty? We got the pass interference call, but they should have also tacked on 15 more. Not to get nit-picky...but those 15 yards could have made a real difference and led to a TD instead of having to settle for a FG. Just sayin'.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Not only should the there have been a personal foul, I think Mcree should have been ejected. That hit was a joke. The offense has been about the O-line all season, today they showed up and the offense was really good. The defense, wow, I dont know cant say I think it is a lack of "heart" as much as it is just a lack of talent.

It's too bad really, because the second half of last week and the entire game today shows that the offense is back.

4-5 isn't a record you can't come back from to make the playoffs. But there's just no way it can happen without a complete defensive overhaul. I'm surprised Marvin's done nothing to address the passrush in the 4 years he's been there. That was one of the hallmark's of his past defensive juggernauts. And I thought the Sam Adams move wasn't a good one when it happened, and it appears to be worthless now. The Sam Adams signing was a very Reds-esque move.

I agree with you in principal about Lewis not being able to put a defense together, but they've got Smith and Geathers that could combine for over twenty sacks and that hasn't happened since the early eighties.

My big question would be: What in bloody Hades is happening on third down? It seems like it's a gimme for opposing offenses, and THAT's a scheme thing.

Maybe Marvin should pull a Billick and take over the defense.

Btw...I'm absolutely dumbfounded.

As an aside, I was at a bar today that shows all of the games, which is fun for me because I'm in a pool at the local record store and I can monitor all of my picks at this place. The Browns aren't usually on TV here in Columbus nowadays, so there are lots of Browns fans in attendance. Today it was more apparent than usual that they are just as bad if not worse than Cubs fans or Ohio State fans. They couldn't be satisfied that their team won...Oh no.
    They had to cheer with as much vigor for the Chargers, openly laughing when TJ got wollaped on that cheap shot late in the game.

I'm sorry to some of the reasonable Browns fan around here, but Sam Wyche was right.

Root for your team. That's what you're supposed to do, but today was just classless. The only things missing were the milk bones.

Boorish savages.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post
    28-7!!!

Bengals looking like Bengals of last-season today in this first half.
    guess you called that a little early

I think the problem on 3rd and long is that Bresnahan seems to only rush 3 half the time, which gives the QB plenty of time to find a receiver beyond the first down marker. The other half of the time it seems like they bring the house, allowing the QB to dump it off to a TE or RB sitting right behind the rush. That guy always gets the first down because the secondary is covering deep. It's like they're always playing avoid getting burned over the top by the big play, so they end up giving up big chunks underneath.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yachtzee View Post
    I think the problem on 3rd and long is that Bresnahan seems to only rush 3 half the time, which gives the QB plenty of time to find a receiver beyond the first down marker. The other half of the time it seems like they bring the house, allowing the QB to dump it off to a TE or RB sitting right behind the rush. That guy always gets the first down because the secondary is covering deep. It's like they're always playing avoid getting burned over the top by the big play, so they end up giving up big chunks underneath.
    That's exactly the way I feel about it.

This is the eighties and 1990 all over again.

Brilliant offense, and sieve-like defense.

I can see John Taylor now........
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

I can see John Taylor now........
    I was seeing a lot of Ray Griffin myself.

Turn Off Ads?