Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Bengals putting a beat-down on San Diego

Re: Bengals putting a beat-down on San Diego

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I was seeing a lot of Ray Griffin myself.
    Or Lewis Billups, or Barney Bussey, or even Ray Horton (who was actually really good. Guilt by association.).

Ugh.

This is why Baseball is my first love.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

2. Turn Off Ads?

You watch the blitz on 3rd and 8.....about Bengal 40....with score 42-41?

They send everyone....and even if they don't get him...they hurry him even more.

Yet you have Ratliff running aroound before he actually goes in and the other guy stumbles....NO one comes close.....and Gates get's the ball as Joseph almost hits it away.

Story of the year.....ALMOST.....like in TB or even BAL.

The sack and fumble of Palmer....when you have J Johnson blocking Phillips and not doing a good job of it.

The block that Kelly did not maintain which caused Rudi to be stopped for a loss on 1st and 10....after driving to about the 30.

The drop by TJ on the same drive when he was open....also stopped that drive which should of at least been a FG.

Then....henry drops a pass beacuse he "feels" a defenders presence....and fails to catch it with his body.

Chuck....i would not be surprised if he WAS NOT fired by the Bengals...beacuse the Bengals make it a habit of always cultivating, excusing and enabling BAD coaches or players.... Goes back i guess to when PB was fired by Modell....so MB, i guess?? does not really like firing people beacuse it makes them feel bad.

I agree with the third down defense being a scheme thing, but I think that falls on the head coach. It's been broken all year, yet they continue to go to it. I like Marvin and hope he's in Cincy for a lot of years, but he's failed the team defensively.

Anyone see the roughing the passer call againt Pittsburgh late in first half? My goodness, what a ridiculous call. It might have surpassed the call against the Bengals in the Tampa Bay game as the worst roughing call I've ever seen. Talk about over shooting the mark. I've always been of the belief that you err on the side of protecting QBs, but it's just gotten ridiculous. There was a pretty ridiculous one against Palmer a couple of weeks ago that actually helped the Bengals as well. They're going to have to fix that in the off-season.
    Grape works as a soda. Sort of as a gum. I wonder why it doesn't work as a pie. Grape pie? There's no grape pie. - Larry David

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    You watch the blitz on 3rd and 8.....about Bengal 40....with score 42-41?

They send everyone....and even if they don't get him...they hurry him even more.

Yet you have Ratliff running aroound before he actually goes in and the other guy stumbles....NO one comes close.....and Gates get's the ball as Joseph almost hits it away.

Story of the year.....ALMOST.....like in TB or even BAL.

The sack and fumble of Palmer....when you have J Johnson blocking Phillips and not doing a good job of it.

The block that Kelly did not maintain which caused Rudi to be stopped for a loss on 1st and 10....after driving to about the 30.

The drop by TJ on the same drive when he was open....also stopped that drive which should of at least been a FG.

Then....henry drops a pass beacuse he "feels" a defenders presence....and fails to catch it with his body.

Chuck....i would not be surprised if he WAS NOT fired by the Bengals...beacuse the Bengals make it a habit of always cultivating, excusing and enabling BAD coaches or players.... Goes back i guess to when PB was fired by Modell....so MB, i guess?? does not really like firing people beacuse it makes them feel bad.
    Everything you said was right on leading up tp that last paragraph.

Leslie Frasier was fired, so was Lebeau's entire coaching staff.
    "Baseball players are smarter than football players. How often do you see a baseball team penalized for too many men on the field?" ~ Jim Bouton

Yes...that is true......but never during a season, it seems does this happen.

Heck Coslet had to RESIGN in 2000...after being 0-3 and being outscored....by almost 100 points....after horrible 1998 and 1999 seasons.

I would love for Marvin to fire CB......make himself DF..... bench James....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Cloninger View Post
    Yes...that is true......but never during a season, it seems does this happen.

Heck Coslet had to RESIGN in 2000...after being 0-3 and being outscored....by almost 100 points....after horrible 1998 and 1999 seasons.

I would love for Marvin to fire CB......make himself DF..... bench James....
    I'd definitely be on board with those decisions.

Does this team have it in them to go 5-11? I think they've got a real shot at 6-10. Looking at the schedule, they're at New Orleans and then at Cleveland the next two weeks. New Orleans is 6-2 and Cleveland just beat Atlanta, the same Atlanta that Cincinnati couldn't handle. Then they've got Baltimore again, followed by Oakland at home. They finish up at Indy, at Denver, and at home against Pittsburgh.

The only game that I see on that schedule that I would be comfortable calling a probable win would be the game against Oakland at home. The rest could easily be losses, although they'll probably pull out a couple of them to go 7-9.

Yay, Bengals! When does Spring Training start?

Help stamp out, eliminate, and do away with redundancy.

I fired the Opening Day Countdown thread back up over on Old Red Guard.

The team quit once they got ahead 21-0.

I expect Marvin to put together a new coaching staff at the end of this offseason. If things dont improve, he could be the next one to be shown the door.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

While it is a lot of points, the Bengals have been playing with second string LBers for most of the season. One thing that is troubling to me is that they have yet to come up with an impact d-lineman in Marvin's tenure. I'm not sure how that is on Bresnihan. A thought on Marvin and the inability to put together a D yet, perhaps the credit for his ability as a defensive coach is coaching the talent he is given to be successful moreso than choosing the personnel. Maybe he needs to do some soul searching on the type of defensive players he is investing in.

WV Red,

I really hope that was just a post out of frustration, because Marvin isn't going anywhere anytime soon. He rescued a dead in the water franchise and Mikey and Katie just adore him. That is about as likely as Tressel getting fired if they lose The Game next Saturday.

No, Marv should not go anywhere. There have, indeed, been too many improvements since he has taken over.
    There are several more which need to be made - and they are too great to take place the rest of this season.

For some reason, this team reminds me of the Rams and Vikings teams of a few years ago. Both had great offenses, but terrible defensively. The Colts could also be put in that category.
    I just hope they go more towards the Rams/Colts than Vikings, who seemed to be famous for starting great early in the season, then imploding as the weeks went by.

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    As an aside, I was at a bar today that shows all of the games, which is fun for me because I'm in a pool at the local record store and I can monitor all of my picks at this place. The Browns aren't usually on TV here in Columbus nowadays, so there are lots of Browns fans in attendance. Today it was more apparent than usual that they are just as bad if not worse than Cubs fans or Ohio State fans. They couldn't be satisfied that their team won...Oh no.
    They had to cheer with as much vigor for the Chargers, openly laughing when TJ got wollaped on that cheap shot late in the game.
    I thought it was a terribly cheap shot.

I'm sorry to some of the reasonable Browns fan around here, but Sam Wyche was right.
    Oh c'mon! I've heard alot of the same sentiment directed at the Browns by Bengal fans plenty of times.

During Bengal-Brown games I've been in both chatrooms, and each chatroom is filled with fans aiming classless remarks at the opposing team. It's no different. To a Browns fan, they are the Bungles, and to Bengal fans we are the Clowns. Fans are the same everywhere.

Haven't the Bengals instituted a 1-800-JERK hotline in their stadium? Why?
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Haven't the Bengals instituted a 1-800-JERK hotline in their stadium? Why?
    It's for identifying Browns or Michigan fans in the stadium :

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It's for identifying Browns or Michigan fans in the stadium :
    That's not what my buddy, who has Bengal season tickets has said.

A-L-C-O-H-O-L makes for strange bedfellows.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WVRed View Post
    The team quit once they got ahead 21-0.

I expect Marvin to put together a new coaching staff at the end of this offseason. If things dont improve, he could be the next one to be shown the door.
    Didn't Marvin sign something like a decade-long guaranteed contract? I don't think he's going to be shown many doors, except perhaps the doors to a mansion, a Bentley, and bank vault.
    Stick to your guns.

Turn Off Ads?