Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chris Shelton

Chris Shelton

What do y'all think of him?? He doesn't appear to be in the Tigers' plans any more. The acquisitions of Casey and then Sheffield (and possibly even Teixiera for Bonderman) reduce him to a AAA/bench role. He'll be 27 next year but only 2 years on his arbitration clock.

There are some things to note about him... First of all, he's done significantly better on the road (struggled in the spacious Comerica). Also, he seemed to get on base pretty decently even after April. The power was almost non-existent but on base skills were respectable.

Would it make sense for the Reds to acquire him (while his value is very low); a change of scenery and platoon with Hatteburg would be very beneficial. Since he has an almost .900 OPS away from home and the Tigers did not give him a chance to rebound (he had one amazing month and two cold months), I think it would make sense. It probably wouldn't take much more than Cormier to acquire him. He then could platoon with Hatteburg... And if he thrives then we can deal Hatteburg in the middle of next year.

What this enables us to do is to trade Votto. Votto is a great player but he cooled off a little as the season progressed. His value is higher than ever... he was just ranked the #1 1B prospect. I mean he's good but he had a season beyond anyone's expectations and the 1B market is strangely weak this year. If we could turn around and deal Votto and a Matt Belisle type to say the Angels for Aybar or even Wood then that would be an incredible move. Even if Shelton failed we'd still have an adequete backup in Hatteburg. We could always resort to short term solutions in 2008-2009 if Shelton tanked. (We could go after another stop gap 1B like Tony Clark or Mark Sweeney after 2007 or the Kevin Millar and Craig Wilson types that appear every year)... or if need be resign Dunn and slide him from LF or slide Ed.E. over from 3B and sign a top notch FA 3B or OF.

Regardless we have options... I am just concerned that Votto will turn into a Ben Broussard type 1B. That's not bad but that production level grows on trees as far as guys go. We should recognize they oppurtunity with Shelton and seize it. Votto is a big enough trade chip that trading him can fill some of our holes. Instead of overpaying for Julio Lugo or Ted Lilly to a 4 yr. 40M deal or something foolish like that, we should at least try to use one of our internal trade resources... THEN, after the big spenders overpay for mediocre players, maybe go after a free agent. Votto's development is a blessing but he's no Jay Bruce or Homer Bailey.... I just think he will be older and regress a little next year and his value will drop. Hopefully he's not a Brandon Larson type "prospect" but remember even he once upon a time was almost worth Scott Rolen (had management not nixed the deal).

Anyways... any opinions on this?
    Last edited by redsandrails; 11-12-2006 at 03:29 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Re: Chris Shelton

I would trade something for Shelton, although I think his issue has always been his defense I believe. Someone else might be able to confirm that but he can certainly swing it.

Now I wouldn't give up alot for him perhaps not even Cormier, but if that's what the Tigers wanted and only wanted him I would likely do it. But I would attempt to trade someone else for him. Perhaps one of Coutlangus, Shackelford, Dumatrait heck I might even give up Coutlangus and Shack for him.

But I would not deal Votto just because you have Shelton until I saw what he brings to the table (Shelton) at the very least and maybe not deal Votto at all if he makes a small adjustment or 2!

But I do like dealing for Shelton to platoon with Hatte!
    Last edited by Mario-Rijo; 11-12-2006 at 05:14 PM.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

I thought the same thing once Detroit landed Sheffield. I think Shelton could platoon w/ Hatteberg as well as see time in the OF. Heck Narron will love the fact he can also play Catcher.

Reds deal Rheal Cormier and Jason LaRue (2-3 Million) to the Tigers for Chris Shelton

Shelton came out looking very good in defensive metrics this year.

http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...s_as_i_see_it/

"Shelton only got about 50 more innings as the season drew to a close, but he was outstanding with his glove. "
    What are you, people? On dope? - Mr Hand

I'm not that impressed with Shelton. Apparently, he has a pretty big hole in his swing and AL pitchers figured it out in May. Only 34 BBs vs. 107 Ks last season -- not a good ratio for a guy who only slugged .466.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Originally Posted By Johnny Footstool
    I'm not that impressed with Shelton. Apparently, he has a pretty big hole in his swing and AL pitchers figured it out in May. Only 34 BBs vs. 107 Ks last season -- not a good ratio for a guy who only slugged .466.
    That may be true but he slugged .466 playing half of his games in one of the largest parks in baseball. I'd say at the right price I am jumping on that bandwagon for a RH hitting platoonee!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    That may be true but he slugged .466 playing half of his games in one of the largest parks in baseball. I'd say at the right price I am jumping on that bandwagon for a RH hitting platoonee!
    .231/.305/.391/.695 in 169 Detroit home at bats. I'd prefer they get Josh Phelps if they want to chase RH Tigers that have no place in the system.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

It depends what they want to give up for him, and depends whether the Reds have someone that can work on the hole in his swing. He had a pretty good April and a pretty good minor league career. There's enough bad pitching in the NL that not everyone here can FIND the hole in a guy's swing.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

I personally refuse to buy the argument that Shelton is not a very useable player due to his swing problems. It seems to me he is just very streaky... started off hot and then cooled...still had decent #'s. Was due for another hot streak. Even with the argument that he has a serious hole in his swing, however, outside of Comerica, with new coaches, and in a different league (which hasn't "figured him out") he is at least due some modest success (like .280, 20-25, 75, .825-.850 OPS). Between the league change and the fact that if he is put in a platoon role pitchers will have less oppurtunity to find his weaknesses, it makes some sense.

I wonder what his #'s vs leftys AND away from home are.

I'd rather sign Craig Wilson. At the very least he can platoon with Hatte.
    He's not very selective, but he can help replace some of the offense lost from the Kearns/Lopez trade. And he shouldn't cost much.

I know this isn't really an argument, but I don't want to sign anyone who was leading the league in home runs on a playoff team, but ended up the year in AAA. Something's wrong there. Stay away.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Shelton OPS'd .850 on the road and .783 vL the last three years. In a friendlier park with a platoon situation he might be just fine. That said, I'm not a fan of guys who strike out like Dunn but have only 25 homer power and don't walk much. If you could do Shelton for LaRue, Ross or Valentin, great. I wouldn't give up anything of real value though.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 11-13-2006 at 12:18 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

A couple of questions about this thread. Isn't Casey a free agent? And will Sheffield be playing 1b after the experiment in the Bronx? So if the answer to those questions are yes and no, is Shelton really available?

Plus, isn't Votto supposed to only be 1 year away? What would the Reds add by this acquisition and who would they give the Tigers? Unless this is part of a multiplayer deal (which I don't see with Sheffield in Detroit--no need for another OF), I don't see this occuring.
    Win the Division

Chris Shelton went from Free-Swinging April stud to Free-Swining AAA August filler.

Pass. Thanks for asking though.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Wow. I think a lot of you are selling him short. It's not like somebody proposed a crazy trade for him. The question was whether he is intriguing, and he certainly is. If the offer is right, take a flier.

I don't think anything is "up" with him. There are no rumors about the guy being a troublemaker. He actually seems quite personable, and was quite classy about the Pirates' losing him to the Rule V. When he was hot stuff in April, he thanked them for giving him the opportunity in the minors and for drafting him.

I think the explanation is simple. The Tigers were in a pennant race. They chose not to wait for him to work out his stuff. This sort of thing happened to much, much better hitters than Chris Shelton. Carlos Delgado, for example, was sent back for seasoning early in his career after coming up like gangbusters.

Come to think of it. If there's a "hole" in his swing, it might be on the other side of his stomach. Dude could use some conditioning.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Turn Off Ads?