Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Phillies Talking To Aurilia

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Phillies Talking To Aurilia

Some interesting info found via the Beerleaguer Phillies blog tonight.

- Also, the Phils have contacted Rich Aurilia's agent, presumably for their third base vacancy.

from MLBTradeRumors.com

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Phillies Talking To Aurilia

The Phillies burned a big pile of money when they signed David Bell.

Now, looks like they're gonna continue that trend if they sign Rich Aurilia. I can't imagine he'd come back to us for under 2M, so let me be one of the first to say, c ya Rich.

Only 6 AB's at Philly last year, too small to see how he'd fare in the City of Brotherly Love.

But, if they want the man, they can have him.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

ZCTRMTP!!!!!

I have never understood all the dissing of Rich Aurilia on this board. The man was probably the Reds' best non-pitcher during the 2006 season. If not the best, then pretty close to it. It makes it hard to understand all the Bye-Rich-don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out comments.

I was Aurillia's biggest critic when he signed with the Reds and started off poorly. I let him have it when they came to Coors.

The guy has pretty much shut me the heck up with his play beyond that point. His attitude could probably use a bit of work, but the guy plays ball.

I just hope that if he goes, we offer arbitration and get that valuable compensation pick.
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    I have never understood all the dissing of Rich Aurilia on this board. The man was probably the Reds' best non-pitcher during the 2006 season. If not the best, then pretty close to it. It makes it hard to understand all the Bye-Rich-don't-let-the-door-hit-you-on-the-way-out comments.
    I can't speak for all of the 'naysayers' but if some big budget team is going to toss a big contract at Rich, then the Reds are better off parting ways. For 1-year, $2M, fine. But I have a feeling he's going to land a bigger contract from the Phillies, Giants or Yankees.

I have never understood all the dissing of Rich Aurilia on this board.
    Richie puts up good numbers and plays all over the field. On the other side of the ledger, he's a whiner who doesn't seem to care much for our city or our team.
    Makes all the routine posts.

To explain myself with RA is the whole attitude and perception of himself. This team gave him a chance to resurrect any career he had up to that point, and all I hear is blabbering whining from a supposed "professional" baseball player because he's not getting his way.

Plus, its not feasible to give him what he wants from a Cincinnati standpoint. He's about to fall off a cliff career-wise.

The 2006 Win Shares figures tell me that Adam Dunn was the Reds' best non-pitcher.

It's all about business and spending wisely in regards to the "Bye bye Rich" feelings. He's old, has limited range and should be on the decline in all aspects of his game, which from a business standpoint says "avoid at all costs". If Rich wants to come earn the 2B job in ST and make 2M doing so, so be it. If some other team is going to throw more than 2M / year at him, then Rich is playing for a different team in 2007.

At this point in time, I hope we do get a compensation pick for RA.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    Richie puts up good numbers and plays all over the field. On the other side of the ledger, he's a whiner who doesn't seem to care much for our city or our team.
    I pretty much agree with this statement. RA has put up some decent numbers for the Reds, but personally I have never been able to get past the comment he made during the 2004 season when he didn't get traded by the trading deadline. Something to the affect that he was "stuck in Cincinnati." Maybe it's not fair, but that comment really fortified my opinion on Aurilia. You just don't say things like that because it's disrespectful to your teammates and the fans of the team you are employed by. I give him credit where credit is due as far as his 2005 season, but I won't be shedding any tears if he doesn't return to the Reds.

If the Phillies were to sign Aurilla The Reds would receive the Phillies first round pick number 19 and a first round supplemental pick.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    If the Phillies were to sign Aurilla The Reds would receive the Phillies first round pick number 19 and a first round supplemental pick.
    Is Ed Wade still running the Phillies? C'mon Eddie! Do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Gallen5862 View Post
    ...if the Reds offer arbitration to Aurilia.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Well, its semi-related but the Mets resigned Jose Valentin on a 1-yr deal.

So much for Aurilia going to the Big Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    ...if the Reds offer arbitration to Aurilia.
    I have a feeling we'd get taken to the cleaners if we offered arbitration to RA. It would come back to bite us in the butt when some arbitrator awarded RA some sorta contract that some other team would most likely offer him via FA.

Now it's a Catch 22. Offer him arbitration and have it bite us, or don't offer and let him walk for free.

Turn Off Ads?