Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Most over-rated skill in baseball

Re: Most over-rated skill in baseball

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Bunting is a basic skill of baseball. It's a shame more players don't take pride in being able to put one down when it's needed.

Just because it's less important in todays game isn't enough of a reason to ignore it. It's part of being a complete player.
    Especially our pitchers. How often do they fail to get the job done? It seems like it happens every time.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Bunting is a basic skill of baseball. It's a shame more players don't take pride in being able to put one down when it's needed.

Just because it's less important in todays game isn't enough of a reason to ignore it. It's part of being a complete player.
    Sad that working at "being a complete player" doesn't seem to be as important as it once was.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    You know TRF, I'd normally agree with you about the bunt, OTOH, after watching the Cardinals use it to destroy the Tigers I have to wonder.
    After thinking it over, it isn't the players bunting skills i think are overrated, it's the managers skill in calling for it.

Boone was atrocious. Narron wasn't too good either.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    After thinking it over, it isn't the players bunting skills i think are overrated, it's the managers skill in calling for it.

Boone was atrocious. Narron wasn't too good either.

As much as I don't like Larussa I really admire the way he uses the bunt as a weapon, not just to give away outs for bases.
    School's out. What did you expect?

He does seem to recognize what he has in that regard.

Boone would ask Casey to bunt for a hit.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    On that note here's a tidbit Lee Sinin's of the Baseball Encyclopedia told me in a an email the other day, it made me laugh.

So much for worshiping.
    I have edited my last post and it deserves to be. I would like to say that a second read of RedsManRick's response has softened my opinion of it. Now I only find it condescending. Perhaps it was the " Stop using words you don't understand." comment or maybe it was "I'm sorry the concept eludes you." "Civil and moderate" Redsbaron? Maybe if you're serving at Guantanamo prison. Use those phrases at home or at work and see what happens. I will end it by saying that I said that the ability to take a walk was overrated. It snowballed and for that I am sorry. But please stop pushing tendencies, no matter how great those tendencies are, off as fact. Nothing has been "proven" to me or anyone else. No one has to agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I pointed out to RedsManRick, if you read that far into the post, it is your opinion so cherish it.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 11-15-2006 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I have edited my last post and it deserves to be. I would like to say that a second read of RedsManRick's response has softened my opinion of it. Now I only find it condescending. Perhaps it was the " Stop using words you don't understand." comment or maybe it was "I'm sorry the concept eludes you." "Civil and moderate" Redsbaron? Maybe if you're serving at Guantanamo prison. Use those phrases at home or at work and see what happens. I will end it by saying that I said that the ability to take a walk was overrated. It snowballed and for that I am sorry. But please stop pushing tendencies, no matter how great those tendencies are, off as fact. Nothing has been "proven" to me or anyone else. No one has to agree with me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. As I pointed out to RedsManRick, if you read that far into the post, it is your opinion so cherish it.
    I actually did prove that more walks TEND to lead to more runs, that OBP correlates very well in runs scored, and that OPS is pretty damn accurate in regards to runs scored.

just sayin.

OPS is pretty damn accurate in regards to runs scored.

How can something, like a rate state compared to a counting stat, be accurate when there is no error analysis?

play nice.

Now the sample size i use was NL only, and just this season, but i do have to work. I'd be willing to bet a larger sample of seasons produces similar results.

I actually did prove that more walks TEND to lead to more runs
    You did no such thing. The Phillies were 1st in BB's and runs. After that the results are all over the board. I'm repeating some of my previous postings here but here goes.

Reds 2nd in BB's 9th in runs
    Dodgers 3rd in BB's 4th in runs
    Nationals 4th in BB's 10th in runs
    Astros 5th in BB's 12th in runs
    Padres 6th in BB's 13th in runs.
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 11-15-2006 at 05:18 PM.

play nice.

Now the sample size i use was NL only, and just this season, but i do have to work. I'd be willing to bet a larger sample of seasons produces similar results.

Oh, it was just a joke. A nerd joke, but then again it is what I I am. What I meant isn't about sample size but rather that OPS can't really be "accurate." It can correlate well( and it does with runs scored), but it's not really accurate, since it doesn't really estimate some exact number (i.e. runs scored). Anyway, I think I have probably sidetracked this thread enough.

I need to ask Redszone to buy me a new computer, because I just can't believe that I'm missing such great chances to be extra snarky like in a thread like this.

I should be all over this thread dang nab it.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    You did no such thing. The Phillies were 1st in BB's and runs. After that the results are all over the board. I'm repeating some of my previous postings here but here goes.

Reds 2nd in BB's 9th in runs
    Dodgers 3rd in BB's 4th in runs
    Nationals 4th in BB's 10th in runs
    Astros 5th in BB's 12th in runs
    Padres 6th in BB's 13th in runs.
    And nobody stated that ALL teams that walk a lot score more more runs than teams that don't. But it certainly helps. Yes Washington was 4th in BB's. BUt aside fro Soriano, that was a weak hitting team. Ever heard the phrase "empty .300"? That's Washington. Weak SLG.

Now OPS, which you have bashed mercilessly in your time here matched up almost perfectly to Runs scored.

I've said it before. The ability to take a walk is a MAJOR reason Rickey Henderson is going to the Hall of Fame. Heck, the man is 349 years old and still playing Indy ball because he can take a walk. Getting on base is a valuable skillset. It is NOT overrated in any way.

Turn Off Ads?