Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunn likely to be moved

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Dunn likely to be moved

Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com

Reds GM Wayne Krivsky hasn't wrenched his back yet trying to move Dunn, but lots of people say he's in full-fledged listening mode.
    Dunn hit 40 homers for the third straight season, and the tape-measure jobs still generate oohs and ahs. But his combined on-base/slugging percentage has dipped from .957 to .855 since 2004, and some people think his heart went out of it a little bit after the Reds traded his buddy Austin Kearns to Washington. He never projected a tremendous amount of fire before that.

"He's a very strange package," said an American League executive. "The power is incredible, obviously, and he does walk a lot. But the defense is brutal and the strikeouts are brutal. I think they'd move him if they could."

Krivsky spent a lot of years in Minnesota, where the Twins stressed pitching and defense, and Dunn doesn't fit that philosophy. Cost is also a concern. Dunn will make $10.5 million in 2007, and the Reds have a $13 million option for 2008. That's a lot of money for a DH -- especially in a league where the position doesn't exist.

Here's the problem: While Krivsky made some inspired acquisitions last offseason -- adding Bronson Arroyo and Brandon Phillips -- he put a dent in his offensive surplus when he traded Kearns and Felipe Lopez to the Nationals in July. The Reds ranked ninth in the NL in runs scored, and Rich Aurilia, who hit 23 homers, is a free agent. If Krivsky moves Dunn, he'll want both pitching and an impact bat in return.

Baltimore and Texas are among the American League clubs that might have an interest. The Astros are more likely to pursue Carlos Lee and Alfonso Soriano through free agency, but they'll at least kick the tires on Dunn.

Pittsburgh makes some sense, given the short right field at PNC Park and the team's need for a lefty power hitter. But it's hard to see the Pirates shelling out the coin for Dunn. They're more likely to focus on a younger, less costly bat, such as Arizona's Chad Tracy or Florida's Mike Jacobs.

Full story:
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=2661411

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Dunn likely to be moved

I know Adam Dunn is frustrating and a lot of people around here can't wait to see him go but I'd really hate to see him go. Consider that we trade him for pitching and can't replace his offense in a weak free agent market. Do you really want to see an offense on the field next year centered around Edwin Encarnacion? Dunn, for all his faults (and he has many), brings star power and an awe factor that makes people, including me, want to watch the team. This is just my opinion and I know that the stats do not back up such a qualitive argument but I for one would be much less interested next year in an offense lacking someone of Dunn's abilities (or potential depending on how you look at it)? Just my .02.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

My wife bought me a #44 Dunn shirt for my birthday. That makes Adam untradeable.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com
    Hey Jerry.... are you wearing a shirt?
    There would/will/could be a lot to miss when and if Dunn is dealt.

Let me throw this out and see what you think. In order for the Reds to put the Kearns/Lopez for Majeski deal to rest with Washington the following deal is done:

Reds trade Dunn and Majeski to Washington for RHP Chad Cordero, LHP Mike O'Connor and OF Ryan Church.

For the Reds, they get a closer in Cordero. Church either plays in RF or LF depending where Junior plays in 2007. Playing in cozy GAB should improve his numbers compared to playing in Death Valley which is called RFK Stadium. O'Connor gives the Reds a young lefty for the starting rotation. The money saved by dealing Dunn can be used to sign a free agent starter, second baseman and add possibly another OF.

For the Nationals, Bowden gets another player he covets from the Reds, and he puts the Majewski trade to rest by taking him back and trading Cordero. Of course the Nats will need a closer and expect Jon Rauch to get first crack.

What do you think?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

What I don't get about Krivsky supposedly hating Dunn is the fact that he signed Dunn to a 2 year contract with an option for a 3rd. Even though Dunn's numbers were a little better last year, he's still the same Adam Dunn as in year's past. Why would Krivsky sign Dunn last year and look to trade him this year? If it is to improve the team then that's fine but this article basically says the Reds want to trade Dunn because they don't like his style of play. It makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    My wife bought me a #44 Dunn shirt for my birthday. That makes Adam untradeable.
    Thats what I thought when I bought my authentic Austin Kearns jersey last year.. low and behold, he got shipped out.

I hope you didn't just jinx the donk!
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Let me throw this out and see what you think. In order for the Reds to put the Kearns/Lopez for Majeski deal to rest with Washington the following deal is done:

Reds trade Dunn and Majeski to Washington for RHP Chad Cordero, LHP Mike O'Connor and OF Ryan Church.

For the Reds, they get a closer in Cordero. Church either plays in RF or LF depending where Junior plays in 2007. Playing in cozy GAB should improve his numbers compared to playing in Death Valley which is called RFK Stadium. O'Connor gives the Reds a young lefty for the starting rotation. The money saved by dealing Dunn can be used to sign a free agent starter, second baseman and add possibly another OF.

For the Nationals, Bowden gets another player he covets from the Reds, and he puts the Majewski trade to rest by taking him back and trading Cordero. Of course the Nats will need a closer and expect Jon Rauch to get first crack.

What do you think?
    No thanks, not enough. I think someone in the AL would take a flyer on Dunn.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

I'd want more than that Krusty.. I want there better pitching prospects.. Clint Everts.. Mike Hinckley

and even they aren't all that great.

I'd maybe even go for a PTBNL, as Wash had a solid draft last year..
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post

What do you think?
    If I'm Krivsky I would put Bowden's number on Call Blocker.

Do you trade adam dunn for miguel tejada?

I'm just sayin....

I think you mean more likely to be traded.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

A Lost Ball In High Weeds shredda2000's Avatar

Did she buy it on sale?

I'm toolsy.

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    Do you trade adam dunn for miguel tejada?

I'm just sayin....
    Yes. Although I would like to include Larue and/or Cormier in the deal to get a pitching prospect or two in return.

The Reds biggest need this offseason is closer. As for free agency, unless you sign a Eric Gagne to a one-year deal loaded with incentives, there aren't any bonafide closers worth a sniff. In order for the Reds to get an established closer, they will need to make a trade. And to get that closer the most marketable player the Reds have is Dunn.

Now you have the case involving the Nationals? Did the Reds file paperwork with MLB over the trade? If they did, it seems reworking the trade or doing another deal that is satisfactory to the Reds would resolve it. Chad Cordero is an established closer and relatively young. He is one pitcher Bowden would hate to part but we all know Bowden drafted Dunn and would salivate at the first opportunity to acquire Dunn to replenish some lost home run power with the departure of Soriano.

Now the Reds could still keep Majeski and make the trade Dunn for Cordero/Church. IMO, it is easier to sign a free agent outfielder than trying to acquire a free agent closer. And with Dunn's salary off the books, the Reds should be able to reel in the likes of Jose Guillen, Trot Nixon and other B-type free agents to offset the offensive dropoff.

But without a bonafide closer, this club goes nowhere in 2007.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Turn Off Ads?