Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Most over-rated skill in baseball

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Re: Most over-rated skill in baseball

For the record, the most overrated skill in baseball is a tie between wearing eye black, and knowing how to work flip-down sunglasses.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Walks score runs too.

They avoid outs and acquire a base, which last time I checked is the main two objectives for EVERY PA. How something that accomplishes the main two objectives of every PA is overrated.... well, enlighten us.
    Walks also help burn through the opposing pitching staff.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    If you have someone talented enough to hit you in.
    Eddie Joost - 1949 - 128 runs scored - 149 walks - .263 BA

Only one player on the A's had over 100 RBI's Eddie scored because he walked a bunch and was on base all the time, despite hitting .263, he walked 78 more times then the league average that season.

No matter how you spin that I'd take it every year, from any player.

All dyslexics must untie!

The ability to second guess
    Never overlook the obvious

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    Walks score runs too.

They avoid outs and acquire a base, which last time I checked is the main two objectives for EVERY PA. How something that accomplishes the main two objectives of every PA is overrated.... well, enlighten us.
    Ah yes! I had forgotten. I do fondly recall watching one Harry Caray singing Take Me Out to the Ballgame during the 7th inning stretch on WGN. It never failed to inspire me. The sheer alcohol-induced joy on his face. It was a beautiful sight watching him slur his way through that song every home game. Of course, the topper was at the end when he would shout " Let's acquire some bases! " He, of course, would then collapse unconscious in his announcers chair while Steve Stone finished the broadcast with Harry softly snoring in the background. Good times, I tell you.

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

If there's one thing I've learned here over the last year it's this:

Walks are good.

My two nominations both involve catchers: 1) Blocking the plate and 2) "framing" pitches. I don't believe the latter really fools the umpire and the former might make the difference a few times a year at best.
    Last edited by Rojo; 11-13-2006 at 06:44 PM.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Quote Originally Posted by Always Red View Post
    If there's one thing I've learned here over the last year it's this:

Walks are good.
    I agree, especially when they are accompanied by timely hitting.

I Think each skill is equally overrated comparatively. If that individual skill is all you have, then your pretty worthless. It takes a combination of several to have value. So I can't say anyone individual one has more value than the other.

MLB Mock Draft
    2009:
    2. Dustin Ackley 27. Tyler Skaggs 33. Kyle Heckathorn 51. Nick Franklin 82. Billy Bullock

Stealing Bases

Bat speed - without good eye-hand coordination and good pitch recognition - you have the means to hit any pitch, but lack the ability to judge when and where to swing.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    I agree, especially when they are accompanied by timely hitting.
    Yes, the ability to decide exactly when to get a base hit is extremely valuable.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

Velocity. Hitters can adjust to almost any speed up to 96 or so. Changing speeds and location are key.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

A good curve ball. At least since about 1985. Umpires don't call it for strikes anymore, unless you're Zito or somebody like that.

Might as well save the strain on your arm.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Scrappiness.
    "I saw Wedding Crashers accidentally. I bought a ticket for Grizzly Man and went into the wrong theater. After an hour, I figured I was in the wrong theater, but I kept waiting. That’s the thing about bear attacks. They come when you least expect it."-Dwight K. Schrute

Turn Off Ads?