Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 51.1 million

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    hollywood mid westerner

REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 51.1 million

Good snag for them..they'll make that posting money back and get one helluva pitcher. beckett, papelbon, lester, and matzsuzaka are all 26 and younger and will be pretty tough next year.

Re: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 42 million

a little pricey IMO.

Hopefully this stops the Red Sox fans from whining about the Yankees spending habits. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Hopefully this stops the Red Sox fans from whining about the Yankees spending habits. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
    Pot: But the kettle is black I tell you!

Nice get for the Sox. If you're going to be a big market team then be a big market team. Though I wonder if that means the Sox are going to try to cut some costs elsewhere (e.g. Covelli Crisp).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Pot: But the kettle is black I tell you!

Nice get for the Sox. If you're going to be a big market team then be a big market team. Though I wonder if that means the Sox are going to try to cut some costs elsewhere (e.g. Covelli Crisp).
    I'm not sure where the "pot-kettle" comment is directed. But it should be directed at the Sox, who at the trading deadline brought out the hankies and violins to explain that they couldn't trade for Bobby Abreu because "we're not the Yankees."

$42M + what's likely to be a 5 year - $80+M contract is a lot of money to shell out for a guy who's never thrown a pitch in the major leagues. I remember when Hideki Irabu was the "Japanese Nolan Ryan." How'd that work out?

Now, they could lowball Matzsuzaka and let him go back to Japan - in effect blocking him from NY. But that would only delay him joining the Yankees for one year and I don't think Theo would play that game. I think the Sox will go all out to sign this guy.

hollywood mid westerner

holy crap! its now reported they paid 51 million!

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    I'm not sure where the "pot-kettle" comment is directed. But it should be directed at the Sox, who at the trading deadline brought out the hankies and violins to explain that they couldn't trade for Bobby Abreu because "we're not the Yankees."
    I thought it was obvious that's where it was directed.

I always get a kick out Sox fans when the pull the "poor, little us" routine.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I thought it was obvious that's where it was directed.

I always get a kick out Sox fans when the pull the "poor, little us" routine.

Sometimes obvious flies right past me...

If you're going to be a big market team then be a big market team.
    At this point, it's all the Newston Redskees to me.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    That's the Newston Angeles Mebs you mean.
    Last edited by M2; 11-13-2006 at 05:51 PM.

The 8th best record in the AL this season. A team that is aging badly and has many, many holes in it. Their answer is to spend 40 million for the right to negotiate with a client of Scott Boras. 40 million plus 10 million per season. All of this for a pitcher from Japan? Japanese pitchers are notorious for their mediocrity in the U.S. This is going to be so ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    The ESPN Yank Sox?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

hollywood mid westerner

i dont mind that they spent that much on that kind of talent...believe me, there are ways for THIS front office to be able to spend up to 80 million a year on the team if they wanted to..but they choose not to.

I think we're about to see them offer him crap salary and he'll go back to Japan for a year and come back as a real FA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think we're about to see them offer him crap salary and he'll go back to Japan for a year and come back as a real FA.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking 15+ M/YR. I can't imagine they'd throw 20+ M at him, but Theo's team got embarassed last year, they need to do something.

Turn Off Ads?