Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 51.1 million

hollywood mid westerner

REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 51.1 million

Good snag for them..they'll make that posting money back and get one helluva pitcher. beckett, papelbon, lester, and matzsuzaka are all 26 and younger and will be pretty tough next year.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: REd Sox win Matzsuzaka bid at 42 million

a little pricey IMO.

Hopefully this stops the Red Sox fans from whining about the Yankees spending habits. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Hopefully this stops the Red Sox fans from whining about the Yankees spending habits. But that's probably just wishful thinking on my part.
    Pot: But the kettle is black I tell you!

Nice get for the Sox. If you're going to be a big market team then be a big market team. Though I wonder if that means the Sox are going to try to cut some costs elsewhere (e.g. Covelli Crisp).
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

If you're going to be a big market team then be a big market team.
    At this point, it's all the Newston Redskees to me.

hollywood mid westerner

i dont mind that they spent that much on that kind of talent...believe me, there are ways for THIS front office to be able to spend up to 80 million a year on the team if they wanted to..but they choose not to.

I think we're about to see them offer him crap salary and he'll go back to Japan for a year and come back as a real FA.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    At this point, it's all the Newston Redskees to me.
    That's the Newston Angeles Mebs you mean.
    Last edited by M2; 11-13-2006 at 05:51 PM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I think we're about to see them offer him crap salary and he'll go back to Japan for a year and come back as a real FA.

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking 15+ M/YR. I can't imagine they'd throw 20+ M at him, but Theo's team got embarassed last year, they need to do something.

The 8th best record in the AL this season. A team that is aging badly and has many, many holes in it. Their answer is to spend 40 million for the right to negotiate with a client of Scott Boras. 40 million plus 10 million per season. All of this for a pitcher from Japan? Japanese pitchers are notorious for their mediocrity in the U.S. This is going to be so ugly.

It makes no sense unless they are paying him less than $10MM per year. The $42MM works out to $8.5 to $10.5 per year on a four or five year deal, so if they pay him salary of more than $10MM the Sox are looking at paying more than $20MM per year for him. They could get Clemens (a known quantity not requiring the long term investment of nearly $100MM ) for $20MM. I guess I'm thinking about Irabu and having trouble wrapping my mind around this one. Other than Clemens, even #1 proven aces aren't quite getting $20MM.

It only makes sense if they can make money off having him, like with Japanese advertising and things like that. I don't know if that's possible, but there has to be some reason they were willing to bid that high, assuming it wasn't just to play keep-away with NYY. And, if they don't actually sign him, it doesn't cost them anything.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by terminator View Post
    It makes no sense unless they are paying him less than $10MM per year. The $42MM works out to $8.5 to $10.5 per year on a four or five year deal, so if they pay him salary of more than $10MM the Sox are looking at paying more than $20MM per year for him. They could get Clemens (a known quantity not requiring the long term investment of nearly $100MM ) for $20MM. I guess I'm thinking about Irabu and having trouble wrapping my mind around this one. Other than Clemens, even #1 proven aces aren't quite getting $20MM.

I'm pretty sure (although I could be wrong) that the 42M doesn't go to the player, but rather his team, Seibu. The 42M was just a fee to allow the Red Sox to now negotiate a contract.

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    It only makes sense if they can make money off having him, like with Japanese advertising and things like that. I don't know if that's possible, but there has to be some reason they were willing to bid that high, assuming it wasn't just to play keep-away with NYY. And, if they don't actually sign him, it doesn't cost them anything.
    I truly believe it was to play keep away. As if the Yankees are going to be so much better with him. The Yankees are old and so are the Red Sox. I don't think the Yankees understand what really wins pennants anymore. They just throw money out there and say " We spend more than everyone else, so we should be winning the Series every year. " They forgot what was the reason for their success a few years ago. They were the best TEAM. They didn't have the best players, they had the best team. The Red Sox are still living off the fumes of 2004.

Senor Votto

Good for the Japanese team bad for the Sox

Turn Off Ads?