Thread: In retrospect....

I'm toolsy.

Re: In retrospect....

Kal Daniels. Chris Sabo. Ray Knight.

Non-Reds: Mookie Wilson, Von Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?
    So Long Uncle Joe BoydsOfSummer's Avatar

Gary Redus, who never hit higher than .288 in a 13-year Major League career, holds the all-time Minor League mark [minimum 200 at-bats] with .462 at Billings of the Pioneer League in 1978.

258 at bats - 100 runs - 117 hits - 62 bb - 42 ebh - 42 steals - .462
    Great googly-moogly! That's one helluva 258 AB stretch! I was pretty high on Redus myself. Milner was a guy I thought was better than he actually was,looking back. But like BoxingRed said, those teams reeked and you had to like somebody.
    0 Value Over Replacement Poster

"Sit over here next to Johnathan (Bench)...sit right here, he's smart."--Sparky Anderson

Wagner must of done a good job selling that 82 team cause i remember it the same way many of you have mentioned --he made it seem like we weren't rebuilding but re-loading. Was it our perceptions or did he really sell it like that? Surely the man must of known that things were gonna go somewhat south of where they had been finishing.

As i remember it, Wagner sold it as just the beginning of a new generation of Reds dominance. Seems to me the papers presented it in the same way.

I was young back then so my thinking may fault me....did Wagner present it that way? Did even older fans buy into the sell. You can't fault folks for doing so -the Reds could do little wrong back then -and to some extent Wagner was able to ride out and squeeze some more years out of the BRM. Why did he think things would continue to run smoothly? Why did he present these guys as the next great thing?

My top 10 idols, I thought they were the next incarnation of Babe Ruth

10. Neil Fiala
    9. Rafael Santo Domingo
    8. Kelly Paris
    7. Jake Wood
    6. Larry Biitner
    5. Larry Stahl
    4. Larry leubbers
    3. Junior Kennedy
    2. Xavier Hernandez
    1. The cant miss all american Dave Van Gorder

did Wagner present it that way?
    Wagner stated that Paul Householder had more talent than any Reds prospect that he had ever seen.

Wagner was strong on the business side of the game and weak on the stuff that Howsam excelled at. Giving him the reigns was a mistake.

Quote Originally Posted by Cooper View Post
    Wagner must of done a good job selling that 82 team cause i remember it the same way many of you have mentioned --he made it seem like we weren't rebuilding but re-loading. Was it our perceptions or did he really sell it like that? Surely the man must of known that things were gonna go somewhat south of where they had been finishing.

As i remember it, Wagner sold it as just the beginning of a new generation of Reds dominance. Seems to me the papers presented it in the same way.

I was young back then so my thinking may fault me....did Wagner present it that way? Did even older fans buy into the sell. You can't fault folks for doing so -the Reds could do little wrong back then -and to some extent Wagner was able to ride out and squeeze some more years out of the BRM. Why did he think things would continue to run smoothly? Why did he present these guys as the next great thing?

They were coming off a great season in 1981 so that may have had something to do with it.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    They were coming off a great season in 1981 so that may have had something to do with it.
    Great as in exceeding the Pythag mightily

Scored 464 runs, Allowed 440 runs. Pythagorean W-L: 57-51 - Actual 66-42

Quote Originally Posted by macro View Post
    Members of that 1982 team seem to be coming up a lot in this thread, and with good reason. I remember the 1982 Reds yearbook had an article about Dick Wagner and how he had done such a good job of replacing the players lost from the 1981 team, and I truly believed it. Cesar Cedeno in a Reds uniform? I loved it! Former SI cover boy Clint Hurdle, too? And future all star catcher Alex Trevino, along with home grown future stars Householder, Redus, and Duane Walker.

That was, by far, my most disappointing year as a Reds fan, and I'm sure others here feel the same.

I thought the exact same thing back then. I remember projecting what the 1982 Reds were gonna do based on past history and what they had done the year before in Indianapolis. I recall having Householder batting around .300 with 20 plus homeruns and 100 RBI's. Clint Hurdle would finally reach the potential he had never reached in KC and be a shoo in for the All Star team. Alex Trevino would be so feared from behind the plate that Vince Coleman would not even think of stealing second base. Cesar Cedeno getting out of the Astrodome would put up 30-40 homers without a doubt. Johnny Bench getting out from behind the plate would let him put up the offensive type numbers he had during his MVP years. If Gary Redus could bat .500 in the minors then surely he could bat .350 or so in the Big Leagues.

I guess back then I was drinking the same stuff Dick Wagner was!!!

I thought that Frank Pastore was the next Tom Seaver.

I wasn't a kid, but after the 86 season I was on the Tracy Jones bandwagon. I didn't understand that if you don't crack a major league roster till you're 25, you are not going to be a star.

Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    I wasn't a kid, but after the 86 season I was on the Tracy Jones bandwagon. I didn't understand that if you don't crack a major league roster till you're 25, you are not going to be a star.
    Tracy Jones wasn't a star???

Somebody needs to tell Tracy Jones about this.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

maybe Chris Jones or Jeff Jones was the true star

Quote Originally Posted by dfs View Post
    But don't mention it to Denorfia, please.

Adam Dunn and the current Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Tracy Jones wasn't a star???

Somebody needs to tell Tracy Jones about this.
    No but If you didnt know already he "played the game"

Turn Off Ads?