Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Farnsworth?

Kyle Farnsworth?

I've posted a couple times in the past that I think Farnsworth would be a good contract to take on as a closer option. Recent events make me think that is more possible. (Just my read. I have no info.)

1. The Yankees seem to be unloading payroll (Sheffield, Wright) to gear up for a run at some major pitching free agents and have stated that they don't really want to take the payroll up much.

2. The acquisitions of Chris Britton and the Tiger relievers (assuming they carry Sanchez as a reliever for 2007) gives them an awfully full pen with RH Britton, Bruney, and Proctor in front of Rivera.

3. With Ron Villone a FA they need a LH.

4. The Yankees want to add prospects to restock for deadline deals.

A trade involving Cormier and a mid-level prospect for Farnsworth seems to make sense to me. The Yankees could still sign a vet RH if they think its needed and save some money (especially for 2008). The Reds get the closer they need and can afford to take on Farnsworth. This would be a better use of money than a high $, mediocre starter IMO.

Thoughts? Am I off on this one? If not Farnsworth, would you deal Cormier for say Bruney? I also think that would be a good move for both teams.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Kyle Farnsworth?

I'd bring him in as an 8th inning guy if we already had an established closer. Farnsworth isn't a closer...he just doesn't have the makeup for it.

When there are so many other holes to fill, you can't afford to drop alot of money on a setup guy.
    "Strickland Propane... Taste the meat, not the heat." - Hank Hill

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    I'd bring him in as an 8th inning guy if we already had an established closer. Farnsworth isn't a closer...he just doesn't have the makeup for it.

When there are so many other holes to fill, you can't afford to drop alot of money on a setup guy.
    Not sure. His best pitching seemed to be when he was closing in Atlanta (1.98 ERA, .8 WHIP, 2.30 Walks/9) . He seems like a guy who he needs the challenge to keep his head in the game and limit his walks. Its only 27 Innings so I could be wrong there.

I agree that I wouldn't want that contract unless he's the closer. There aren't any better options available that I can see and the rest of the pen seems to perform better when there is some one to be "the guy." It might have a positive domino effect just like Guardado did last year.

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Not sure if I would do that or not. I agree about him being a set-up guy as he has never proven to be a closer due to his makeup for whatever reason.

Just a couple of other notes on FA pitchers. Jake Westbrook is apparently a FA which I had not noticed before, he becomes my #1 pitching target in FA. I was high on Vicente Padilla but according to ESPN he is looking for a 4 year 10 million per year deal. I actually might consider giving him 10 mill per considering the market, but not for 4 years not with his injury history.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Jake Westbrook is apparently a FA which I had not noticed before, he becomes my #1 pitching target in FA.
    I've not seen this anywhere.

What I find on Westbrook is that he only has 4+ years of service time. Cleveland holds an option for 2007 at $5.6 Million or a 350K buyout. even if the Indians choose the buyout, he is still Cleveland property. They could non-tender to avoid arbitration, but in this market that would be real nuts.

Anyone have info?

BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Per ESPN you know which section.

Pitching help wanted
    Nov 10 - According to the Arizona Republic, the Diamondbacks are considering making offers to Giants right-hander Jason Schmidt, Indians right-hander Jake Westbrook, and Cardinals left-hander Mark Mulder.
    GM Josh Byrnes said Arizona might have better luck securing a No. 2 starter to accompany ace Brandon Webb by investigating potential trades. He has spoke with virtually every club about possible deals, namely to acquire pitching help.

"Either way, it's going to be difficult and expensive to get pitching," Byrnes told the newspaper, "but we need to keep both markets available to us. [Pitching] is something everyone wants and not many teams that have it want to give it up."
    However I have not seen it anywhere else so perhaps the writer got some bad info, or stinks at doing his job!
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Farnsworth would be a better option than anyone we have in our pen.And I would rather have him then Cormier aswell.So I say make the deal if it presents its self to Mr. K.

Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar

Think Farnsworth will be pulling for the Reds to resign Paul Wilson?

Quote Originally Posted by RedLegSuperStar View Post
    Think Farnsworth will be pulling for the Reds to resign Paul Wilson?
    Ha! Ha! you are Funny.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I've not seen this anywhere.

What I find on Westbrook is that he only has 4+ years of service time. Cleveland holds an option for 2007 at $5.6 Million or a 350K buyout. even if the Indians choose the buyout, he is still Cleveland property. They could non-tender to avoid arbitration, but in this market that would be real nuts.

Anyone have info?
    Per the Indians website:

10/3/06 Exercised the 2007 club options on RHP Jake Westbrook
    It looks like he is their's for next year. Looks like the AZ Republic just got it wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan30 View Post
    Farnsworth's other problem this year was that he had difficulty pitching on consecutive days. His constantly battled with a stiff back.

Would we want K. Farnsworth even if he wasn't the closer?

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by BEETTLEBUG View Post
    Would we want K. Farnsworth even if he wasn't the closer?

I would. Not sure about the rest of you.

The only knock on Farnsworth is that he really can't pitch consecutive days all that much, so I doubt he could be our closer. But, pair him with Coffey, and those are 2 guys you can alternate as 1st out of the pen or set up guys that way they're both adequately rested.

I Would Also.

Recovering Cubs Fan

For some reason, Farnsworth seems to do well in odd-numbered years, so yeah, good idea.

Turn Off Ads?