Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Bob Knight out of line?

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Was Bob Knight out of line?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2661474

Watch the video. I don't see what he did wrong, except get the kids attention because he wasn't looking at his coach as he was trying to correct him. You'd think the way some people are reacting that he killed somebody.

"I flipped his chin up and told him to look me right in the eye so he could do the job we want. I said, 'Can you??And he said 'Yes,'and I said, 'OK, sit down and let's go.'
    If that's an issue then I'm living in the wrong country," Knight said. (ESPN.com)

The player and his mother defend the actions of Bob Knight...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...h.knight.0524/

Others don't feel the same way

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...hts/index.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Was Bob Knight out of line?

I don't have to watch it to claim that Knight is a bully.

Because he is.

He didn't do anything wrong. Gene Keady said this morning that if this involved the coach at Alaska-Anchorage, it wouldn't be a story.

Here's the latest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2661787

I personally see nothing wrong with it.

I can respect others that do though. I like Coach Knight and I think he does amazing things for the players he has under him.

Just my opinion.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

It looks worse than it is, and yes, Knight is a bully.

Would I want to go play for him? No
    Would I want my son to go play for him? No
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

I'd love to play for him....that would mean I was younger, and actually had the talent to play basketball

Can ESPN blow up a non-story any more? Give me a break...

Also, Knight's successor #2 at IU is in some luke-warm water for recruiting a kid who had already verbally committed to Illinois.

Nothing shady to get Gordon, Sampson says

Eric Gordon signed with the Hoosiers on Wednesday, the first day of the early signing period. That also made it the first time new coach Kelvin Sampson could publicly discuss the recruitment of Gordon, who originally committed to Illinois.

Coaches are not allowed by NCAA rules to discuss recruits until they sign. Sampson had been criticized by some national commentators and by Illinois coach Bruce Weber for recruiting a player committed to another school. Most recruiting services consider Gordon among the top two players in the senior class.

"I know that he and his family made it clear to us that this was something that they really wanted to explore," Sampson said. "…. Think about a kid that is committed to another school. We don't do that. Coaches don't recruit kids that are committed to other schools. If that was the case, you could do that a lot. I think this situation was certainly unique, and I hope it doesn't happen again."

Sampson, hired in March to replace Mike Davis, said he didn't remember when he and the Gordon family first made contact. Eric Gordon Sr. has maintained that Sampson did nothing wrong and that it was a "mutual decision" for his son to look at IU and for IU to recruit his son.

"I'm not going to get into the specifics," Sampson said. "I'm not going to give you a time line of how this all happened,. But the bottom line is, this kid grew up in Indiana, he's an Indiana kid and he wanted to come to Indiana."

The 6-foot-4 Gordon is a prolific scorer, and his impact has been projected to be similar to that of Carmelo Anthony, who led Syracuse to the 2003 NCAA title.

"I think that Eric, as our team develops, will impact us in his way," Sampson said. "And I'm not comparing him to Carmelo. I'm just trying to explain how Carmelo impacted Syracuse. Eric will impact us in his way. He's just a dynamite offensive player."
    http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/...plate=printart

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Can ESPN blow up a non-story any more? Give me a break...
    That was my thought when I first saw the video.

Anyone that plays for BK knows what they are signing up for. Most would not do what BK did but those kids that go to TTU know that dealing with BK's temper comes with the territory.

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Also, Knight's successor #2 at IU is in some luke-warm water for recruiting a kid who had already verbally committed to Illinois.
    not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.
    Illinois is also slightly peaved that Sampson never called them to let them know the Gordon family was contacting IU. Vitale discussed it ad nauseam during the IU/Lafayette game last night.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Illinois is also slightly peaved that Sampson never called them to let them know the Gordon family was contacting IU. Vitale discussed it ad nauseam during the IU/Lafayette game last night.
    Sampson broke no NCAA rules (a switch for him). Just violated "the code."

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Sampson broke no NCAA rules (a switch for him). Just violated "the code."
    That's my take. Vitale just kept saying that Sampson should have phoned Weber and let him know.

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    That's my take. Vitale just kept saying that Sampson should have phoned Weber and let him know.
    We'll most likely find out that Sampson was out on the road recruiting and too busy to call Webber.

Turn Off Ads?