Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Was Bob Knight out of line?

Re: Was Bob Knight out of line?

Coach Sampson probably has a major aversion to phones now anyways
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Speaking of Vitale rants, wait until you hear his rant defending Knight tonight.
    I'm guessing it will take all of the first half and maybe 20 minutes into the second.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Kelvin Sampson seems to be a snake in the grass and will likely bring more shame than glory to IU bball. But then, he simply is doing what is typical in our culture--forget rising above the rules that are in place and following a self-imposed code of ethics that is greater than what one can get away with, "he didn't break any rules." I do not welcome him to the Big 10. Chances are, before long, he will be following the way of Jim O'Brien--filing a lawsuit against his employer to collect money on a contractual technicality of one sort or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds Freak View Post
    Can ESPN blow up a non-story any more? Give me a break...
    T.O. says hello.
    When I see the 2016 Reds, I see a 100 loss team and no direction.

Knight is absolutely, without a doubt, an intimidator and a bully, just like Bill Parcells, my high school soccer coach, and a lot of leaders in the military. He wasn't trying to (and didn't) hurt the kid and that sort of thing is tolerated at nearly every D1 school in the country. It's Bob Knight, old news. Move on.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo Cabesa View Post
    not that I can see. Gordon's family made contact with IU. Illinois should be mad but it is rightfully directed at the kid and his family.
    Talk about a whole lot of nothing, I'm pretty sure Weber knew what was going on since every paper from Peoria to Richmond was reporting it. According to Gordon's family they let Weber know about it.

Nothing more than trying to dredge up dirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

If they think that's bad, attend a practice once in a while. And I mean any coach...not just Knight.

This is much ado about nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by redsfanmia View Post
    T.O. says hello.
    I think about 84 people could say hello...

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    If they think that's bad, attend a practice once in a while. And I mean any coach...not just Knight.

This is much ado about nothing.
    Exactly. I got really tired of doing wind sprints and pushups.

But Bobby Knight was nothing compared to my 7th grade math teacher.

That 80 yr old woman was Saddam Hussein and could have taken Knight!
    Last edited by GAC; 11-14-2006 at 09:00 PM.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

AlienTruckStopSexWorker cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRM View Post
    Gene Keady said this morning that if this involved the coach at Alaska-Anchorage, it wouldn't be a story.
    I agree. But Bobby Knight brought this increased level of scrutiny upon himself.

This particular incident isn't much, but I wouldn't send my son to play for him, and I would discourage my children from even attending a school who hires him.

Obviuosly Knight has some great qualities, but the world has evolved in many important ways that he has not.
    Stick to your guns.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Knight is absolutely, without a doubt, an intimidator and a bully, just like Bill Parcells, my high school soccer coach, and a lot of leaders in the military. He wasn't trying to (and didn't) hurt the kid and that sort of thing is tolerated at nearly every D1 school in the country. It's Bob Knight, old news. Move on.

True, but his brand of old school is going the way of the dinosaur. It's a different world, and he's never going to change.

ESPN absolutely loves to pull out their stock footage of him flipping out... the chair throw, the "game face".... he's got quite a body of work that makes for endless loops on Sportscenter every time he does something controversial.

The kids parents were quoted as saying they think Knight did nothing wrong. I can't imagine any athlete being recruited by Knight who doesn't know what he's getting into.

Knight is a military man at heart. That's where his sensibilities lie. He believes he's right, and he doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks.
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

I don't get why so many are acting as if this is an every day occurence.

Every day, never happens. Same thing to many I guess.

That said I don't think it was that big of a deal. Knight didn't punch the kid or anything.

Bob Knights anger management is the issue here, not any sort of assault.

Some of these analyst defense of Knight is all about one thing, they want to be able to interview him and are affraid he will give them the cold shoulder if they criticize him. I'm talking to you Jay Bilas and Dick Vitale. Saying this happens with every coach is an absolute joke and an insult to every coach out there not named Bob Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    True, but his brand of old school is going the way of the dinosaur. It's a different world, and he's never going to change.

ESPN absolutely loves to pull out their stock footage of him flipping out... the chair throw, the "game face".... he's got quite a body of work that makes for endless loops on Sportscenter every time he does something controversial.

The kids parents were quoted as saying they think Knight did nothing wrong. I can't imagine any athlete being recruited by Knight who doesn't know what he's getting into.

Knight is a military man at heart. That's where his sensibilities lie. He believes he's right, and he doesn't give a damn what anyone thinks.
    Not one iota.

He cares about his players and he's not much for the media game. He graduates players and almost to a man they all love him. I don't know what else his goal should be.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

I am no fan of Knight, but his critics are wrong this time. He did nothing wrong.
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

This story needs to go away. It simply does not have the "legs" that ESPN hoped it would.

Turn Off Ads?