Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derosa to Cubs- 3 yrs, $13 mil

Derosa to Cubs- 3 yrs, $13 mil

I think that is a good pickup for them.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2661869

Updated: Nov. 14, 2006, 4:01 PM ET
    DeRosa cashes in on career year, to sign with CubsESPN.com news services

Mark DeRosa is poised to cash in on his career year.

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
    GM HR RBI R OBP AVG
    136 13 74 78 .357 .296

The Chicago Cubs have reached an agreement on a three-year contract with DeRosa worth approximately $13 million, a team official familiar with the deal told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

DeRosa, who played six positions for the Rangers last season, is expected to be the Cubs' regular second baseman.

DeRosa, 31, hit a career-high .296 with 13 home runs and 74 RBI in Texas last season, his second with the Rangers. In nine seasons, DeRosa has a .273 average with 38 homers and 193 RBI.

DeRosa, who began his career with the Atlanta Braves in 1998, played in a career-high 136 games last season and hit .342 against left-handed pitchers.

The Cubs have been active this offseason, already re-signing third-baseman Aramis Ramirez to a five-year, $75 million deal and right-hander Kerry Wood to a one-year, $1.75 million contract.

Calls to the Cubs and DeRosa's agent, Lonnie Cooper, were not immediately returned.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Derosa to Cubs- 3 yrs, $13 mil

A little risky given his lack of track record -- but a risk the Cubs can afford.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar

I think the Cubs will regret this one after a year or two.

DeRosa was incredibly lucky last season plus he was in one fo the league's best hitters parks. IMO, his value was incedibly inflated last season.

Also, DeRosa has had some very poor seasons before last season. He isn't very patient, has so-so power, and strikes out fairly often. Plus he isn't a particularly adept fielder.

A 3 year deal for a guy that is basically guaranteed to regress next year is a bad signing for the Cubs, not that I'm surprised.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    I think the Cubs will regret this one after a year or two.

DeRosa was incredibly lucky last season plus he was in one fo the league's best hitters parks. IMO, his value was incedibly inflated last season.

Also, DeRosa has had some very poor seasons before last season. He isn't very patient, has so-so power, and strikes out fairly often. Plus he isn't a particularly adept fielder.

A 3 year deal for a guy that is basically guaranteed to regress next year is a bad signing for the Cubs, not that I'm surprised.
    Jeff Blauser, anyone?

Seems like they have two shortstops now with Cesar Izturis and Ronnie Cedeno. I wonder if they will shop Cedeno?
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    Seems like they have two shortstops now with Cesar Izturis and Ronnie Cedeno. I wonder if they will shop Cedeno?
    What position do they plan to play Derosa at? I would love to have either Izturis or Cedeno.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaknb8k View Post
    What position do they plan to play Derosa at? I would love to have either Izturis or Cedeno.
    The article says they expect DeRosa to be their regular 2nd baseman.

Jim Hendry is a Cardinal saboteur I tell you. It's the only way to explain the moves he makes.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

They are willing to spend, and it is better than Tony Womack.

Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    They are willing to spend, and it is better than Tony Womack.
    That's not exactly the best reason to guarantee somebody 13M dollars.

Hello Rich Aurillia someone just set the market for you.

I would love to see the Reds acquire Cedeno to play either second or short. With Phillips and Cedeno, you would have one dynamic double play combination defensively. Like Phillips, it might take a year or two for the bat to come around but Cedeno is still a baby at 23 years old.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

Man Pills

I would love to see the Reds acquire Cedeno to play either second or short. With Phillips and Cedeno, you would have one dynamic double play combination defensively. Like Phillips, it might take a year or two for the bat to come around but Cedeno is still a baby at 23 years old.
    Ronny Cedeno was absolutely brutal with the stick last year. He made Royce Clayton look like Joe DiMaggio.

Man Pills

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Jim Hendry is a Cardinal saboteur I tell you. It's the only way to explain the moves he makes.
    You can bet your arse Wayne's angry he couldn't beat the Cubs' offer.

Actually the Cubs and Reds match-up well IMO. The Reds could not only use Cedeno or Izturis, but with Wood in the pen with Dempster, Howry and Eyre, Wuertz may be available as well. The Cubs may want Freel to play CF and lead-off with Pierre gone and Lohse may be a guy for the back of the rotation. If you really want to dream maybe Griffey goes to be a power bat and reunite with Pinella (never happen).

Turn Off Ads?