Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Meetings

Re: Winter Meetings

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    My son thinks the Reds should sign Soriano to play second and move Phillips to SS. I was 11 once also....
    Sounds like your son is remarkable, a proactive, can do kind of a guy that might understand the free market system better than most. Perhaps he realizes that certain baseball commodities are not going to be going down in price and that he finds it reasonable to speculate that they will only continue to escalate as his charts indicate that they have historically. The older people become the more risk adverse they are, so an 11 year old might be right.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think we can put Wayne's deals into separate categories: Long-term plans that become pleasant surprises, as in Arroyo, Phillips and Ross, and desperate deals for any warm body that can it to the bullpen by gametime.
    That's one way to look at it BCubb, but I share the same fear as WVRedsFan.

Wayne cashed in two of his most valeued trading chips in an act of desperation. Will that move ever pay off? Time will tell, looks bad now.

Wayne Kriviski and Jerry Narron are on the same page in the recognition and evaluation of talent and skill sets. That kinda worries me.

Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think we can put Wayne's deals into separate categories: Long-term plans that become pleasant surprises, as in Arroyo, Phillips and Ross, and desperate deals for any warm body that can it to the bullpen by gametime.

Good points.

Last season was pretty volatile. An early good start made us contenders and it changed the sensibilities of the front office.

I have a feeling that Wayne will turn over cards relentlessly, looking for incremental improvement whenever possible.

The debate has raged on ad infinitum since "the trade".

Let's see what he can do this off season.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

While Kearns/Lopez/Dunn may have lost offense, its not like we just arent playing guys in their spots. Players will be playing in their positions and will offset some of the loss. Odds that we can replace all that offense? Not good. Odds that we will need to? Not good either. If we can upgrade defense of Dunn and Lopez, that is a large swing in runs right there. If we get some pitching back for Dunn that is decent, there is another swing in runs. Then you just add in what the guy who replaces him brings and the run offset is not as difficult to overcome.

Man Pills

Let me echo paulrichjr's sentiment about being disturbed by John Allen's liking of Krivsky.

Bad mojo. Double bad.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 11-15-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Turn Off Ads?