Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Could Orenthal please die already?

Re: Could Orenthal please die already?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    You apparently have not watched any of the shows that I mentioned are on NBC if you think that those shows pander to "middle American tastes/family values/moderate/unrisky family entertainment." Some churches would probably not let me teach SS knowing that I enjoy shows like My Name is Earl and the Office. That is far from moralistic, unrisky family entertainment.
    We could do this all day: so "24" isn't right-wing machismo heroin for the conservative bloodstream?

My Name is Earl and the Office (a deeply cleaned up version of the crippling pathos of the British version) are pretty innocuous, in all honesty. In the end, they return to many of the middle class folkways that most Americans can relate to.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Retired

This thread is real close to being a political discussion, lets stay on topic folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    We could do this all day: so "24" isn't right-wing machismo heroin for the conservative bloodstream?

My Name is Earl and the Office (a deeply cleaned up version of the crippling pathos of the British version) are pretty innocuous, in all honesty. In the end, they return to many of the middle class folkways that most Americans can relate to.
    I can't speak for "24," barely know what its about except that Keefer Sutherland is CIA, I think. Regardless, those are some mighty broad brush strokes. You're right about going back and forth, but I do not see how something as smutty as this OJ has anything to do with "well, isn't that just typical considering the source" in relation to FOX news. I just do not understand the correlation attempting to be made, so, as you've already pointed out, I'm just too ignorant to see the obvious.
    Last edited by traderumor; 11-15-2006 at 07:49 PM.

I just do not understand the correlation attempting to be made, so, as you've already pointed out, I'm just too ignorant to see the obvious.
    Maybe next time I'll explain it when you don't describe my ideas as "pitiful."
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Maybe next time I'll explain it when you don't describe my ideas as "pitiful."
    No, an idea. It was a pitiful analogy. The sensitive guy doesn't work very well with you, BTW.

No, an idea. It was a pitiful analogy. The sensitive guy doesn't work very well with you, BTW.
    Yeah, you know me.

Tell ya what--next time you want to acknowledge your own role in starting conflicts get back to me.

It's just as I thought: you wanted a fight, not a discussion. I'm done here.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    NBC turned it down for "questionable taste". ABC would have done the same as their parent company is Disney.

And I doubt the CBS News people care one whit about Survivor as A CBS morning anchor is also the host of Big Brother.

But a real news organization would see this for what it is: profiting off the death of a mother and a son. I'm betting OJ isn't seeing a dime from the "interview", it's all calculated to increase book sales.

There are a number of Fox shows I like. I love House. I still love the Simpsons. Vanished and Prison Break are pretty good. 24 is great.

But this is debasing themselves. It's potentially a nightmare in the making for the survivors, especially the kids.

A new low in broadcast history.
    I agree that it's low and debase. I said as much already. My nalogy with CBS News was that I don't think Mike Wallace and Don Hewett sit around and shake their fists at a show like Survivor but I would think they would much rather CBS show hard news shows instead of entertainment and damn the ratings. Murrow used to do Person to Person in order to make See It Now. He would have much rather not did the former show and if he had his way, run shows like See It Now all the time. Obviously, that's quite idealistic and unrealistic. I don't know if guys like Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly are rubbing their hands in glee over Fox running this show. I would guess not and I would hope not either. If they are serious journalists, they should criticize Fox for that decision. I doubt if they will and it's understandable if they don't.

Again, this is FOX network, not FOX news. I don't think the FOX network has made any claims to morality considering they run some of the trashiest shows of all the networks.
    Exactly. Did people stop watching Survivor or Two and a Half Men because of the Dan Rather incident a few years ago? Perhaps a few did but I would guess you could count those people on one hand. If this show was done by someone at Fox News, then they would be fair game for criticism because of the hypocrisy. But they aren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

Yeah, you know me.

Tell ya what--next time you want to acknowledge your own role in starting conflicts get back to me.

It's just as I thought: you wanted a fight, not a discussion. I'm done here.
    Yes. They do have a philosophical connection (I can't help it if you're not intelligent enough to discern it).
    The record shows otherwise.

So if O.J. confesses, do you think Bud Selig will let him into the Baseball Hall of Fame?
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsBaron View Post
    If anyone believes that ABC, NBC, CBS or CNN wouldn't do the interview with Simpson, you have a higher or different opinion of those networks than I do.
    Will I watch the program? No.
    This is not Fox News doing this. It is the ordinary Fox (channel 19 here in Cincinnati) doing this and tonight Fox News made it very clear that they are not at all connected to Fox Entertainment. They also reported Simpson was getting $3.5mill for this fiasco. Let's hope the Brown and Goldman family get it.

Does anyone out there still think OJ didn't do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Does anyone out there still think OJ didn't do it?
    Is his mother still alive?

So, FOX Sports = Fox News? In the same way that sports is different than news, so is network entertainment different from a news network. I really am not a FOX news supporter, don't watch it and could care less, but I just think it is not accurate to connect the two.
    Owned by the same parent company, same name, same brand.

So one branch of it promulgates raunchy, trashy TV shows and another is the mouthpiece for the self-annointed "party of values."

Like you, I don't watch Fox News either, but the irony of the Fox brand being on both their news channel and their trashy network does not escape me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Fox News made it very clear that they are not at all connected to Fox Entertainment.
    Wikipedia:

The Fox Broadcasting Company, usually referred to as just Fox (the company itself prefers the capitalized version FOX), is a television network in the United States. It is owned by Fox Entertainment Group, part of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.

The Fox News Channel (FNC) is an American cable and satellite news channel. It is owned by the Fox Entertainment Group, and is a subsidiary of Rupert Murdoch's News Corporation.

Looks connected to me.
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by registerthis View Post
    Owned by the same parent company, same name, same brand.

So one branch of it promulgates raunchy, trashy TV shows and another is the mouthpiece for the self-annointed "party of values."

Like you, I don't watch Fox News either, but the irony of the Fox brand being on both their news channel and their trashy network does not escape me.
    I suppose I would see the irony also if this was not a conglomerate we are talking about, which means different people making different decisions about different things. To see irony there entails oversimplifying an organization, sort of like the logic that produces such gems as "Bush is an oil man, Bin Laden is from Saudi Arabia, Bush and the Saudi Arabian leaders go way back, therefore his extended family being flown out of the country after 911 proves a conspiracy." I'm not saying that is a point you have/would make, but it is similar logic.

Turn Off Ads?