Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Historical Baseball Photographs

Historical Baseball Photographs

Bill Burgess over at Baseball Fever has a wonderful ongoing thread with hundreds of historical baseball photographs, and the best part about it is he's still adding more and more photographs daily.

Anyhow, some zoners might be interested in some of these great shots so I figured I'd pass along the thread link to any who may be interested.

http://baseball-fever.com/showthread.php?t=40306

Here's a few of my favs, though he's got a ton more posted ...

Ted Williams, 1939

---------------Pete Alexander, Phillies' P, 1913-'14------------------------------------1914-'17, Road

---------Christy Mathewson, Giants' P, 1908, Polo Grounds
    -------Notice how he has cut off the sleeve of his throwing arm.

---Ty Cobb (1920), wearing an armband as a tribute to Ray Chapman

------------Game in 1910, Hilltop Park, NY. Notice how far Hal Chase ranges off 1B.
    -----With Chase not holding the runner, why is the runner not going down to 2B?

--Coogan's Bluff Overlooking Polo Grounds, home of the Giants/Mets. Notice the fans who climbed the trees to see the baseball games for free.

---Connie Mack---------------Showing his troops how, 1943-44, JoJo White------------His Derby hat sits on the ground in the background.

Shibe Park, Philadelphia. The houses across the street from RF featured owners who converted their rooftops into bleachers for paying fans.

---------------------------------New York Yankees: 1936-39, Road
    ------------------------L-R: Joe McCarthy, Lou Gehrig, ?, Joe DiMaggio, Bill Dickey

------------Al Kaline, Tigers OF, 1954-59, -----------------------1954-57--------------------------------1954-57

-----------Nolan Ryan, Astros' P, 1980-'88---------------------Tom Seaver, Mets' P, 1983----------------------------1974-77

Fenway Park, Game 3 1914 World Series - Boston Braves vs. Philadelphia Athletics - Notice fans sitting on the roof

-------------------------------AL Champion 1909 Detroit Tigers, 98-54, .645; 3.5 games ahead; WS (L 4-3)

L-R: Harry Tuthill (trainer), Ty Cobb (RF), Davey Jones (1B), Ed Summers (P), Bill Donovan (P), George Mullin (P), Ed Willet (P), Sam Crawford (CF), Ed Killian (P), Ralph Works (P), Del Gainer (1B), Matty McIntyre (LF), George Suggs (P), Tom Jones (1B), Jim Delahanty (2B), Bill Lelivelt (P), Charlie Schmidt (C), George Moriarty (3B), Charlie O'Leary (2B/3B), Joe Casey (C), Donie Bush (SS), Heinie Beckendorf (C), Hughie Jennings (Mgr.), Elijah Jones (P).

Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Yay!

Re: Historical Baseball Photographs

Fun stuff. will have to investigate that site more fully.

With Chase not holding the runner, why is the runner not going down to 2B?
    Is there a runner on 2nd as well? Can't tell for sure, but that may be part of a shadow on the far left part of the picture. Looks like Chase was drawn in, as if it might be a bunt situation.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

Awesome stuff, Cyclone.

Thanks for the link.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

thanks! those are awesome.
    Get your nunchucks and the keys to your dad's car. I know where we can get a gun

Quote Originally Posted by dabvu2498 View Post
    Fun stuff. will have to investigate that site more fully.

Is there a runner on 2nd as well? Can't tell for sure, but that may be part of a shadow on the far left part of the picture. Looks like Chase was drawn in, as if it might be a bunt situation.
    With the way the other shadows are pointing, that very well may be the case. It looks like that actual pitch is being popped up behind the plate by the batter, which along with Chase's positioning may explain how far the first base runner is off the first base bag.

I was browsing through a bunch of photos and historical content over there earlier today and completely lost track of time. The volume of historical content and photos they've put together is simply amazing.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Who's Ray Chapman? Is that the dude who got nailed in the head?

Love, love that photo of the Polo Grounds.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post

Love, love that photo of the Polo Grounds.
    It was
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by vaticanplum View Post
    Carl Mays, a noted submariner who also liked to pitch inside, got too close in a game in September of '20. At that time, Chapman's Indians were battling the Yanks and White Sox in a close AL Pennant.

After Mays plunked Chapman, Ray lived a few days before dying. Cleveland kept the lead and won a World Series.

Ray Chapman was a revered figure in Cleveland. He married a girl whose father was an executive with East Ohio Gas Company. After he died, she wandered around life and I believe she committed suicide not long after the beaning.

I can't remember the book, (it might have been Baseball America by Donald Honig) that went into detail on Chapman's life. Very interesting.

By the way, Mays wasn't much liked after that. A few teams bounced around an idea to ban him. He pitched a few more years in New York and then surfaced in Cincinnati. He had some solid years in Cincinnati in the mid-20's as part of a rotaion with Luque, Donohoe, and Rixey, pitching in the "Almost" year of '26.
    Last edited by Heath; 11-15-2006 at 10:40 PM.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

This is a great site for 60s-80s photos. I think its this gentleman's personal collection.

That is a great site, traderumor. Thanks! Some great Reds photos from Crosley in the late 60's.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Question for Boston resident (and those who know the geography). What is that dome in the background in the picture of Fenway in 1914? I don't think it's the state house, as it would be too far away and off to the left.

Is it the Christian Science Church?

Whatever it is, it's covered up by skyscrapers today.
    How, then, are those people of the future—who are taking steroids every day—going to look back on baseball players who used steroids? They're going to look back on them as pioneers. They're going to look back at it and say "So what?" - Bill James, Cooperstown and the 'Roids

Is it the Christian Science Church?
    I'd say yes, it's on Huntington and that's in the LF background.

A few more ...

Ewell Blackwell, Reds' pitcher, July 21, 1947

Joe Morgan in the 1975 World Series

Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

If you've got a widescreen monitor, expand your Internet browser to the full screen and check this out:

Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Incredible pictures. Great stuff Cyclone.

I especially love the photos of Ewell Blackwell and Ebbets Field. I didn't realize it until just now, but the original dimensions in Ebbets Field were 419 feet to the left field pole and 477 feet to center field but only 301 to the right field pole. Wow. Imagine how fun it was pitching in that ballpark during its early years.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?