Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: College Basketball Thread

College Basketball Thread

Who does everybody think is going to be the best team this year?

Judging by what I've seen so far, that Hansborough kid at UNC might very well win player of the year...

I really don't think Duke has what it takes to win it all this year...

Who does everybody like as the season gets ramped up?

I hate to say it, but I could very well see Florida raising another banner in March.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: College Basketball Thread

Ohio State is going to put a hurtin' on some people. I think they are a contender even with the youth of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by WilyMoROCKS View Post

I hate to say it, but I could very well see Florida raising another banner in March.
    You say that like it's a bad thing
    Go Gators!

I generally like Florida's team. They are fun to watch. I like Tyler Hansbourough as well. I am really looking forward to seeing Ohio State play once Greg Oden steps on the floor as well.

BTW, what is the deal with the UC players Hall and Hraciunicak(sp)? They didn't play this weekend. Steve Stewart who was calling the game mentioned that the NCAA is set to rule on them soon? What is the rub?
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

How could you not favor Florida this year? They've basically got everybody back from last year's NC team.

UNC is awesome. They'll be right there with Florida.

OSU will, indeed, be very good...especially when Oden is ready. I'm a homer, I know, but I can see them making a run to the Final Four.

The OSU/UNC game in November 29 will be fun...but given that it's at UNC and Oden will not play...I totally expect UNC to win. But it'll be a showcase, that's for sure.

Also watch out for Kansas this year.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I think Ohio St is at least a year away, and that depends on whether or not Oden decides to stay after his freshman year. I know they have the next Shaquille O'Neal in college basketball, but they are still young. A final four run is possible, but I wouldnt be surprised if they end up facing a senior laden 8 or 9 seed that sends them out early. If everybody stays two years from now, when Oden is a junior and they have Koufus and Diebler there, they will be the odds on favorite, but that is doubtful.

It's going to be Florida's to win, thats for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

OSU is highly overrated this year. Oden won't be a big player until late December at the earliest and until he's playing OSU lacks a post proven post presence. I think as long as the team weathers a tough non-conference schedule they should put themselves in good shape for the Big 10 season. OSU and Wisconsin should battle it out for the Big 10 title but Michigan could have a strong year as well.

I think OSU could be scary next year if Oden stays. They have another 7 footer coming in and being able to throw 2 7 footers out there to rotate in and out is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    How could you not favor Florida this year? They've basically got everybody back from last year's NC team.

UNC is awesome. They'll be right there with Florida.

OSU will, indeed, be very good...especially when Oden is ready. I'm a homer, I know, but I can see them making a run to the Final Four.

The OSU/UNC game in November 29 will be fun...but given that it's at UNC and Oden will not play...I totally expect UNC to win. But it'll be a showcase, that's for sure.

Oden could be back for the Floida game though. That will be a great game as well.

Oden is not staying another year. He is the definition of one and done. Heck, he's already the consensus Number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so why stay.

The only way is if this wrist injury keeps him out longer than expected - but still, it won't affect him being drafted number 1, so I think he leaves no matter what
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfan21 View Post
    OSU is highly overrated this year. Oden won't be a big player until late December at the earliest and until he's playing OSU lacks a post proven post presence. I think as long as the team weathers a tough non-conference schedule they should put themselves in good shape for the Big 10 season. OSU and Wisconsin should battle it out for the Big 10 title but Michigan could have a strong year as well.

I think OSU could be scary next year if Oden stays. They have another 7 footer coming in and being able to throw 2 7 footers out there to rotate in and out is awesome.
    OSU is overrated as far as being rated 4th in the country. With Oden, I could see them being Top 8. Without him they are a Top 15-20 team. I disagree with most people that say OSU will not be able to compete with better teams because of their youth. Nowadays freshman college basketball players have played so much basketball (AAU) and against other top notch players that coming into college isn't as hard as it use to be.

I will use OSU as an example. I watched all 3 games this past weekend that OSU played. The only freshman on their team that made freshman mistakes was Daequan Cook. He took to many contested jump shots that he use to be able to take in high school and get away with it. On the other end, Mike Conley Jr. looked like he was a senior point guard. Teams were trying to double team him and he simply ran circles around all of them. He might lead the Big Ten in assists this year.

Freshman don't play like freshman anymore. They come in and make significant contributions right away now.

As far as nationally goes, Florida and UNC are a notch above everyone. Wisconsin will be very very good, as will Kansas, Georgetown, and UCLA.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Oden is not staying another year. He is the definition of one and done. Heck, he's already the consensus Number 1 overall pick in the NBA draft, so why stay.

The only way is if this wrist injury keeps him out longer than expected - but still, it won't affect him being drafted number 1, so I think he leaves no matter what
    I hear ya, Puff, and I tend to agree...but here's what SI says:

The Ohio State freshman is the biggest thing to hit college basketball in decades. Only the fourth two-time national high school player of the year, the 7-footer has dazzling, game-changing skills at both ends of the court. He's already so good, USA Basketball invited him to hang with LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and other NBA stars at its training camp this summer.

But the 18-year-old might not be as eager to join the NBA as everyone thinks, especially with a wrist injury forcing him to miss the first half of the season.

"He wants to experience the college environment, and he still hasn't got to experience that yet," said Mike Conley Jr., one of No. 7 Ohio State's five heralded newcomers and a friend and teammate of Oden's since grade school.

"He still thinks he needs to get better," Conley added.

Besides, Oden likes school. An honors student at Lawrence North, he's majoring in business at Ohio State and wants to be an accountant.

He also relishes being "normal," refusing to get caught up in the hype surrounding him. His wardrobe is more prep than pro -- he showed up at an Indiana Pacers game last year in a polo shirt and jeans, and wore khakis and a brown sweater to Ohio State's first exhibition. And he rarely talks about being a potential No. 1 draft pick, even with his closest friends.

Though Oden has told friends he'd like to stay in school, he also has said he thinks he could play in the NBA after his time at the U.S. team training camp.

"I think he feels a lot more confident about it today than he did eight months ago," Conley Sr. said. "But with his injury and his hand, and coming back, you just never know. You just never know.".

You're right...he'll probably go...but Buckeye fans can always hope.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

I hear ya, Puff, and I tend to agree...but here's what SI says:

You're right...he'll probably go...but Buckeye fans can always hope.
    I almost posted that exact same article to respond to the exact same comment.
    Last edited by Caseyfan21; 11-15-2006 at 06:21 PM.

Florida is my early season favorite to win it all this season, though like always there's plenty of teams with the firepower to knock the Gators out and raise a banner. North Carolina and Kansas should be solid, and who knows what will happen in the Big East again this season with the amount of firepower they pack as a conference.

Being a UC fan, it would be a heckuva season for the 'cats to just have an NCAA Tourney appearance.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Rock chalk!! Yay for Kansas!!

Sorry, I really have nothing constructive to add to this thread... I'm just a big Kansas fan!!
    BARRY LARKIN
    "You made me hope for something better
    And made me reach for something more"

"Love is doing all the little things that don't show up in the box score."

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post

Who's your source for these facts your spewing. He hasn't played a college game since this article was released, why would he change his mind now.

By Todd Plitt, USA TODAY

Not long after Oden's sophomore season at Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis, during the period that led to an unprecedented selection of eight high school players in the first 19 slots of the NBA draft, the speculation, private and persistent, was that Oden would have been Commissioner David Stern's first handshake had he been eligible.

Even as the name of the prospective psychology major is placed atop the mock draft lists, circa 2006, Oden sends a 20th-century message no one seems to hear:

"I know what I want to do," Oden said quietly. "I want to go to college."

Turn Off Ads?