Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: College Basketball Thread

Re: College Basketball Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SpringfieldFan View Post
    I guess each of you have seen more in Oden than I have, so far all I see is big, the occasional dunk, blocked shot and interference of inside shots that comes with any big man.

He looks like the NBA players would wear him out to me.
    Most of the expectations I saw raved about the D, with the O needing development. I'm sure the wrist injury only set him further back in developing a big man offensive game. But watching a 7 footer leap and run the floor like he does sets him apart as a special big man, IMO. Not to mention he is only 18 years old. He is a good example where forcing such a man child into college may be the best thing that ever happened to his career. It seems that there are many more so-so careers than stars that come right out of high school and go to the NBA.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now. Alando Tucker still isn't getting near the pub he deserves. A Bo Ryan coached defense on a team that can score 75-80 points a night is scary thing. They've already beat Pitt. Tuesday night's game vs. OSU is big.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now. Alando Tucker still isn't getting near the pub he deserves. A Bo Ryan coached defense on a team that can score 75-80 points a night is scary thing. They've already beat Pitt. Tuesday night's game vs. OSU is big.
    Wiscosin is legit. I won't be surprised at all if they beat OSU Tuesday. When the season started, I thought OSU would breeze throught the Big Ten schedule. Now that I've seen play...I'm convinced...they're REALLY good. Either team could win the conference this year. Should be a great game.
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    My Trojans are gonna beat UCLA and Arizona both this week. You heard it here first! But seriously, the Pac-10 is unreal this year. UCLA and Arizona could win the National Championship. Oregon is damn good. Washington may be the most talented team in the country but they are very young. If all the talent starts to gel at one time then watch out for them. Washington State will be ranked tomorrow, and USC will receive some votes for the top 25.
    You're definitely right about the Pac-10 this season. They're #1 in the conference RPI right now, and they've got a good shot to crown a National Champion this season in either UCLA or Arizona (and some of the other teams may make noise too). As a Trojans fan, you should be estatic about next season too since that's where O.J. Mayo's committed. USC fans are in for a treat when they get to see that guy play.

My UC team is suffering bad, including a home loss to Rutgers today. It's going to be a long season, and I don't even think they'll finish over .500 overall. I had predicted a 5-11 Big East record for them, but that was with the assumption that they'd actually beat Rutgers at home. But Cronin needs some time, and I've got confidence in him right now. It's looking like '08-'09 is the big year to bring in some solid recruits. Until then, it's going to be mostly JUCO roster filler.

I'm also curious to see how Kansas State does with Huggins in his first season and Bill Walker now playing for them. They're 10-5 overall (0-1 Big 12), but their RPI isn't terrible right now at 55.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Cyclone, Bill Walker just got hurt last night. Could be a torn ACL.

K-State's in big trouble this year.

Quote Originally Posted by guttle11 View Post
    Cyclone, Bill Walker just got hurt last night. Could be a torn ACL.

K-State's in big trouble this year.
    Wow, I did not know that. That's a crushing injury for Kansas State, and if Walker's injury is that serious, that could affect his NBA draft status in the future.

I was excited to see Walker play and develop this season, but I guess that's all moot now.
    The Lost Decade Average Season: 74-88
    2014-22 Average Season: 71-91

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Most of the expectations I saw raved about the D, with the O needing development. I'm sure the wrist injury only set him further back in developing a big man offensive game. But watching a 7 footer leap and run the floor like he does sets him apart as a special big man, IMO. Not to mention he is only 18 years old. He is a good example where forcing such a man child into college may be the best thing that ever happened to his career. It seems that there are many more so-so careers than stars that come right out of high school and go to the NBA.
    Great point, TR. How many potentially great players ended up below average after entering the NBA as an 18 year old only to ride the bench and never become as good as they could have?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Not to mention he is only 18 years old.
    That is a major point that went flying right over my head, leaves a lot of room for development and the college experience should help him.

I guess from reading a lot of comments expressing that he would be moving on to the pro's or could, I mistakenly envisioned him as already being capable of stardom at a higher level.

I am sure that he will show greater skills as his wrist improves and the experience is gained.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Don't know if I'd call them the best, but my Badgers are looking pretty good right now.
    From what I have seen they look awesome with great intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone792 View Post
    You're definitely right about the Pac-10 this season. They're #1 in the conference RPI right now, and they've got a good shot to crown a National Champion this season in either UCLA or Arizona (and some of the other teams may make noise too). As a Trojans fan, you should be estatic about next season too since that's where O.J. Mayo's committed. USC fans are in for a treat when they get to see that guy play.
    I watched Mayo on ESPNU last night against Damatha. Kid is the real deal. My brother and dad recently went to the Charleston Civic Center and watched Mayo play live (I was working and couldn't go). They both came away impressed.

As a fan of USC, I am very excited about next season when Mayo arrives. Aside from Mayo, we also have Davon Jefferson coming in next season, (4 star PF) who is rated among the top recruits in the country. Plus we'll have two very good seniors in Nick Young and Gabe Pruitt returning (hopefully). Both have NBA talent but are expected to stay one more year to play with Mayo. And we have two super freshman this year in Daniel Hackett and Taj Gibson, who I think is one of the top 5 freshman in all of college basketball. So yeah, I am very pumped about USC basketball right now. Tim Floyd is awesome.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by Puffy View Post
    Where did I use the word fact?
    I believe you said he is not staying, as if you have the inside track on the story. I was just wondering how you got the info, because the only press release that has come from Odens mouth says he wants to stay and graduate.

3rd time in Tubby's career he has had a ten game win streak.

- Players speak glowingly of their first practice in the new $30 million basketball practice facility.

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php...ange_well_id=2

http://www.ukathletics.com/index.php...ange_well_id=2

Turn Off Ads?