Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Dead Schembechlers

The Dead Schembechlers

You guys seen the stuff on the Dead Schembechlers?

Here's the link to their Website.

Here's the link to their hit video: Bomb Ann Arbor Now

Here's a quote from their front-man:
    "I believe we're 102-0 against the Wolverines," Biafra insisted. "If you go back and check the lying, liberal Wolverine media, they'll make you believe they won many of the games."
    That's funny right there, I don't care who ya are...that there's funny.

ESPN STORY
    For every action there is an equal and opposite criticism.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Dead Schembechlers (you've probably seen this by now but it's funny)

uh--he just passed away

Not quite so funny now I guess.
    Ever seen anything more Ironic than him dying the day before the game

From their site:

BO SCHEMBECHLER: OSU'S MOST VALIANT FOE: The band is crushed to learn of the death of Bo Schembechler. We named this band after Coach Schembechler to honor him as the face of Wolverine football. We have never wished ill will upon him in any way and have always wished him the best. When we learned that Bo had seen our web site and was amused by it we were delighted. We were simply delighted. He said to those with him as he read it, "See, I still matter in Columbus!" That may have been the greatest understatement in football history. We believe that he took the band's name as the compliment that it was meant as and that he was flattered by it. We wish to extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to his family. We are truly sorry for their loss.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The band has already updated its web site with a heartfelt tribute.

BO SCHEMBECHLER: OSU'S MOST VALIANT FOE: The band is crushed to learn of the death of Bo Schembechler. We named this band after Coach Schembechler to honor him as the face of Wolverine football. We have never wished ill will upon him in any way and have always wished him the best. When we learned that Bo had seen our web site and was amused by it we were delighted. We were simply delighted. He said to those with him as he read it, "See, I still matter in Columbus!" That may have been the greatest understatement in football history. We believe that he took the band's name as the compliment that it was meant as and that he was flattered by it. We wish to extend our deepest and most heartfelt sympathies to his family. We are truly sorry for their loss.

If Bo himself gave the band his approval for their name, I don't mind what they call themselves.

Having said that, I do question your posting this at such an inappropriate time, max.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Leader View Post
    If Bo himself gave the band his approval for their name, I don't mind what they call themselves.

Having said that, I do question your posting this at such an inappropriate time, max.

He posted it two days ago and I posted it in one of the OSU-Michigan threads before that. Just an unfortunate coincidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    He posted it two days ago and I posted it in one of the OSU-Michigan threads before that. Just an unfortunate coincidence.
    Thank you, Chip, and my apologies max. I should have looked at the date of the original post. I'm probably best off just going home at this point and waiting for the game. It's been a draining week for me all week, capped off by today's earlier news that took it to another level. Again, my apologies.
    'When I'm not longer rapping, I want to open up an ice cream parlor and call myself Scoop Dogg.'
    -Snoop on his retirement

Your Mom is happy.

For a Level Playing Field

Strange how the human mind works sometimes. When I first heard of the sad news today, I immediately thought of this thread and the band. Even WLW was making mention of this band during their sports news on the morning show 2-3 days ago. Ironic.

However, anyone who is famaliar with the punk rock scene and the history of punk rock might understand. One of the "godfathers of punk rock" was a band called the Dead Kennedys. Personally I always found that name disturbing... but punk rock has always had a in-your-face-attitude-thing that went with the music. Without knowing much about the band that got this thread started, I'd assume they got the band name idea from the Dead Kennedys and used the name they chose b/c they are a Columbus group (no explanation needed for the UM hatred-thing).

I think the paragraph the band posted was appropriate. I am sure the band is just as shocked as all other Michigan and OSU fans. I guess when you choose a name like this there is always a risk that you may look bad. But I am sure the members of that group feel bad (like the majority of OSU fans).

Re: The Dead Schembechlers

The band had a big gig planned for tonight. Anyone know if it's still on? I don't really see how they can do a show and play songs like Bomb Ann Arbor Now and Chad Henne Is A Joke given the circumstances.

The whole thing is just surreal.

Quote Originally Posted by max venable View Post
    The band had a big gig planned for tonight. Anyone know if it's still on? I don't really see how they can do a show and play songs like Bomb Ann Arbor Now and Chad Henne Is A Joke given the circumstances.

The whole thing is just surreal.
    I've never heard of this band, but it would be nice, if they do do a show, to use that opportunity to pay tribute to a great coach.

Bo understood the nature of the rivalry, and he wouldn't want that to die with him; but want people to carry on. But for a brief period of mourning.... do it with taste.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I've never heard of this band, but it would be nice, if they do do a show, to use that opportunity to pay tribute to a great coach.

Bo understood the nature of the rivalry, and he wouldn't want that to die with him; but want people to carry on. But for a brief period of mourning.... do it with taste.

If you've heard any of their songs, taste would be a stretch for these unfortunate times. Chad Henne's a Joke probably uses the word "mother...." more than any I've heard.

I wonder if the passing of the old coach fires up the boys from Michigan now?

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    If you've heard any of their songs, taste would be a stretch for these unfortunate times. Chad Henne's a Joke probably uses the word "mother...." more than any I've heard.

That's my point. The nature of the songs would make it really hard to "do it with taste."

I'm sad for Bo's family.

And man, am I looking forward to today's game! Go Bucks!

Quote Originally Posted by Highlifeman21 View Post
    I would think that they don't need Bo passing away to get fired up for a Michigan/OSU game. If they do, then there is something wrong with them.
    I was wrong
    Chip is right

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

The band is disbanding. Last night's show was its last ever. They're donating the proceeds from last night to a charity of the Schembechler family's choice.

http://dispatch.com/news-story.php?s...118-A6-04.html

Turn Off Ads?