Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Instant Replay, anyone?

Reds and 26.2's

Instant Replay, anyone?

Discussion is heating up among the GM's..

Does baseball need instant replay?

What's next..a computer that calls balls and strikes? Or worse yet, a batter to hit for the pitcher?

The times, they are a'changin..

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...2006&fext=.jsp

2. Turn Off Ads?
    RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Re: Instant Replay, anyone?

For the last few years, MLB's focus has been on making the games faster. Anyone who has ever watched a football game come to a grinding halt as the officials watch a replay knows that adding replay is not going to make the games go any faster.

"What's next..a computer that calls balls and strikes?"

I know you posted this in jest because of the context, but Questec should be at the top of the list of any effort at making the game go faster, since it would eliminate the time spent arguing (and time-consuming ejections associated with arguing) balls and strikes.

Reds and 26.2's

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    For the last few years, MLB's focus has been on making the games faster. Anyone who has ever watched a football game come to a grinding halt as the officials watch a replay knows that adding replay is not going to make the games go any faster.

"What's next..a computer that calls balls and strikes?"

I know you posted this in jest because of the context, but Questec should be at the top of the list of any effort at making the game go faster, since it would eliminate the time spent arguing (and time-consuming ejections associated with arguing) balls and strikes.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the old fashioned game of baseball..Why does it need to be faster?

The strategies that the game were developed on are slowly being taken away. Part of the game belongs to the human umpire and the chance that he might be human for 9 innings...And if he does make a mistake? Seeing an irate manager crash out of the dugout to "discuss" his humanity is just as fun to a baseball fan as a leadoff triple..

At least to this baseball fan...
    Last edited by FlyingPig; 11-15-2006 at 09:38 PM.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

An automated strike zone is definitely the way to go if you want to make umpiring "fair".

More games are won and lost on the ball/strike count than on foul/fair homers or outs on the bases (which is what replay would probably look at).
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

post hype sleeper cincinnati chili's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    An automated strike zone is definitely the way to go if you want to make umpiring "fair".

More games are won and lost on the ball/strike count than on foul/fair homers or outs on the bases (which is what replay would probably look at).
    I agree. I'd like to see both changes made soon. However, I'm skeptical that we'll get automated balls/strikes in my lifetime.
    ". . . acquiring J. Blanton from Oakland for, apparently, Bailey/Cueto, Votto and a lesser prospect. I do it in a second . . . The Reds' equation this year is simple: Make Matt Belisle your #3 starter . . . trade for Blanton, win 85 or more, be in the mix all summer." - Paul Daugherty, Feb. 8, 2008

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingPig View Post
    I guess I'm just a sucker for the old fashioned game of baseball..Why does it need to be faster?
    TV wants it to be faster. And it's TV money that pays most of the bills and salaries.

Quote Originally Posted by Unassisted View Post
    TV wants it to be faster. And it's TV money that pays most of the bills and salaries.

That's true but they only want it to be so fast. 2 1/2 hours-3 hours is good but anything over that I'm sure they have problems with.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I don't mind the idea. It sure would've helped us when that drive bounced out of the basket in Chicago for a "double."
    Makes all the routine posts.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cincinnati chili View Post
    I agree. I'd like to see both changes made soon. However, I'm skeptical that we'll get automated balls/strikes in my lifetime.
    I'm 46. With the advances in technology I've seen so far in my lifetime, I would be disappointed if it (auto ball/strike) DIDNT happen before I'm gone.

But what do I know. I thought the DH wouldn't last.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

If they want to speed up baseball they could institute the 'Sean Casey' rule.
    No explanation necessary.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post
    To be fair from both sides of the plate, they should call it the Casey/Garciaparra rule.

There is a rule on the books about that, but I've never seen it enforced.

I know that umps talked to the players about it during spring training two years ago. Sean cut back a bit on his intra-pitch OCD-athon as a result.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by texasdave View Post

Call me crazy, but if he hugs everyone before each AB, that's going to slow down the game more.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

I've always thought a manager ought to have 1 challenge per game on things like HRs, safe/out calls on bases, tags, balls trapped by fielders, etc. Not balls/strikes, balks, etc.

The umps would look at the TV feed. Toyed with the idea of having a penalty (like 1 out) if the challenge doesn't overturn the call.

Pay attention to the open sky

It will be a happy day for me when they call balls and strikes electronically.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Turn Off Ads?