Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Wes Helms signs with Philadelphia

Wes Helms signs with Philadelphia

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6175216

Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com

NAPLES, Fla. - The Phillies have reached agreement with free-agent infielder Wes Helms on a two-year deal worth approximately $5.5 million, FOXSports.com has learned.

The deal includes a club option for a third year that could raise the total value of the package to approximately $8.5 million, according to a source with knowledge of the deal.

Helms, 30, earned $800,000 last season as a part-time player with the Marlins. He signed with the Phillies after receiving assurances that he would get a chance to play every day at third base, the source said.

The Phillies had shown the most interest of any club in Helms, who produced 10 homers, 47 RBI and a .965 on-base/slugging percentage in 240 at-bats last season with the Marlins.

Only once, however, has Helms batted more than 274 times in a season in 2003 with the Brewers.

General manager Pat Gillick recently flew to Alabama to meet with Helms in person. The Phillies' addition of Helms likely will return Abraham Nunez to a part-time role.

The Phillies had been pursuing free-agent infielder Mark DeRosa, who signed a three-year, $13 million contract with the Cubs on Tuesday.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Wes Helms signs with Philadelphia

the contracts being doled out to this point frighten me.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    the contracts being doled out to this point frighten me.
    Ever wonder what it is like to go to Versaci fashion show, while wearing stuff from Sears?
    The Sox traded Bullfrog the only player they've got for Shottenhoffen. Four-eyes Shottenhoffen a utility infielder. They've got a whole team of utility infielders.

I guess Aurilia is going to have to look elsewhere now.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I guess Aurilia is going to have to look elsewhere now.
    Yep.
    Some people play baseball. Baseball plays Jay Bruce.

Hey, Cincinnati, start working on those 'Welcome Back, Rich' banners.

I had to do a double take on that salary AND year figure there, this stuff is unbelievable. Can you imagine what a guy like Gary Matthews is going to pull in? I know he had a knock out year last year and is unbelievable on the field, but compared to his career stats, well, there is an anomoly (sp?).....

SF is talking to Aurilia, according to reports. I highly doubt Philly will be the only team to show interest.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

I bet a dollar to a donut that Aurilia ends up back in SF playing second.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Helms would've been a nice platoon partner with Hatteberg. But 5.5MM for 2 years -- yikes.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    Helms would've been a nice platoon partner with Hatteberg. But 5.5MM for 2 years -- yikes.
    Even though both Hatteberg and Votto hit from the same side of the plate, wouldn't we want to get Votto some Major League action and get him platooned with Hatteberg up here and also maybe have Scott tutor him a little instead of spending money on Helms like that that could be spent on other things like pitching?

Also lifting the market

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT
    NEW YORK (AP) -- The New York Mets have so much confidence in 41-year-old Orlando Hernandez, they're ready to keep him for two more seasons.

Hernandez and the Mets agreed Tuesday to a $12 million, two-year contract, filling a spot in an aging New York rotation that was ravaged by injuries during the team's playoff run last season.

El Duque, acquired from Arizona in May, went 9-7 with a 4.09 ERA in 20 starts for the Mets. He was in line to start the team's playoff opener against the Los Angeles Dodgers before injuring his calf while jogging in the outfield

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post

I wonder if that 41 year old comment is being generous....I am just curious how old he really is, but who knows, that could be right on.

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I dunno, I think 5.5M for 2 for Wes Helms is money better spent than 2M per year for Rich Aurilia. I'm not sure that Helms would have been a platoon with Hatteberg, I think he would have been our everyday 1B.

I guess as a consolation, I'm glad we didn't bring Helms in to play 3B and derail EE.

I think Helms will flourish in Philly.

Turn Off Ads?