Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guardado wants to return to Reds

Guardado wants to return to Reds

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/a...=.jsp&c_id=mlb

By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds fans won't be the only ones watching and wondering how the club tries to fill its available closer's role for 2007.

Add two more sets of eyes -- Reds free agent reliever Eddie Guardado and his agent, Kevin Kohler.

Guardado, who is no stranger to working out of tough spots in the ninth inning, is in a real challenging one this offseason. The 36-year-old is coming off Tommy John elbow ligament replacement surgery performed in September. Although the rehabilitation is said to be moving along well, he isn't expected to be ready to pitch in the Majors again until between June and the July All-Star break.

The Reds, who lacked a consistent closer this past season until they acquired Guardado from the Mariners on July 6, are expected to look elsewhere. But Guardado hasn't given up on returning to Cincinnati.

"He really wants to be with the Reds," Kohler said. "I feel like they want him back. But we'll be listening to everybody. I think we want to see what's out there."

Guardado's tenure with the Reds has been brief, but proved valuable. After he went 1-3 with a 5.48 ERA and five saves while he lost his closer's job in Seattle, the left-hander found his touch again in Cincinnati. He boosted the bullpen with eight saves in 10 chances and posted a 1.29 ERA in 15 games after the trade. The nice run ended when he went on the disabled list with torn ligaments and tendons in his elbow Aug. 20.

There have been no talks yet on a new deal, but Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky and Guardado have a good relationship from their Twins days. Something could still be worked out if there's club interest.

Kohler's goal was to find a team for Guardado to sign with in time for Spring Training so the pitcher could have a club to workout with and teammates to bond with, even if he won't be ready to open the 2007 season.

Krivsky, who is at the general managers' meetings this week in Naples, Fla., hasn't indicated his intentions with Guardado, saying recently that he wanted to wait and see how the rehab process played out.

Unfortunately for the Reds, this isn't the greatest year to be in the need of a closer since the market is considered quite weak. And unfortunately for Guardado, he won't be able to cash in on the low supply and high demand.

Two of the biggest names on the market -- Eric Gagne of the Dodgers and Keith Foulke from the Red Sox -- had good track records before enduring recent injury-plagued seasons. There is also well-traveled veteran Joe Borowski, who saved 36 games for the Marlins in 2006.

This could send the price tags upward for any decent reliever on the market. Lesser-knowns like Toronto right-hander Justin Speier and Detroit lefty Jamie Walker have reportedly drawn big interest from several clubs since the market opened for business Sunday. Cincinnati could also end up exploring trades and seek a younger setup reliever with closer's stuff.

Whether it's with the Reds or another team, Guardado will probably have to sign a contract that carries a low base salary and is loaded with performance-based incentives.

"Eddie is willing to do that," Kohler said. "He knows that this will be a year he has to come back and show that he's healthy."
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Guardado wants to return to Reds

I could live with bringing Guardado back, and keeping Weathers, and possibly Shoenweis.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by LoganBuck View Post
    I could live with bringing Guardado back, and keeping Weathers, and possibly Shoenweis.
    I would agree with that too. I think Guardado had a great presence in the bullpen and I think some of our younger pitchers can grow from that. An incentive laden contract that has him rehabbing with the team will pay other dividends.

I think it's becoming clear, as a number of folks here have noted, that this isn't the best Free Agent market, and I know we're all itching for the "big splash" signing or trade, but I'm hoping that WK and BC will spend the money wisely. I think they will, but we need to be ready for a slow pace offseason.

Let's build the best club and continue to rebuild our system for the future.

Passion for the game Team Clark's Avatar

It would be nice to have a fresh lefthander ready for the stretch in July. Certainly couldn't hurt. I would find it hard to believe he would not have a uniform on Feb 15th with any one of a number of clubs.
    It's absolutely pathetic that people can't have an opinion from actually watching games and supplementing that with stats. If you voice an opinion that doesn't fit into a black/white box you will get completely misrepresented and basically called a tobacco chewing traditionalist...
    Cedric 3/24/08

It seemed the bullpen pitched better when he was in there - but it could be my imagination. I know some did mention he was a possitive influence.
    I'd like to see him back, for the right price.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Seems like there's a confluence of factors here for the Reds to get a good deal.

A player motivated to return but for which there won't be a lot of external pressure to re-sign; he's coming off of surgery which puts him on the shelf for the first half of a season; he performed well in the past and his presence provides an emotional lift.

Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Problem with these "first half on the shelf" types is that they tend to be on the shelf in the second half, too.
    See. Wilson, Paul, Balfour, Grant.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I honestly don't want him on a one year deal. Since he's coming off Tommy John surgery he won't be ready until the All Star break and even then he won't be back in top form. I know we're desperate for a closer, but it just seems like the Reds have spent too much time and money on Etherton and Wilson type rehab projects. I'm not saying it would be the worst move ever, but spending money on a guy who might be able to pitch half a season and if so might be effective doesn't seem like a great bet to me. Then considering his age and the fact that we're not rehabbing a 24 y/o with potential and I'm just not very interested by the prospect of Guardado. League minimum deal maybe, but I'd hate to waste any more than that on him.

Guardado won't be ready to pitch until late in the season at best. The Reds should pass.

TJ surgery generally requires year to properly recover. Guardado is just the type to rush himself back, convince management that he can get by on heart and guts, and end up posting an ERA over 5.00.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Usually I'm skeptical when I see a guy put up a 1.29 ERA in 14 IP. However, to his credit, Eddie gave up 15 hits, only 2(!) walks and struck out 17. He did allow 3 unearned runs. In any case. A, say, 500k base, with some appearances or IP bonus system wouldn't be a bad idea.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

As much as Guardado had proven himself in years past, he is now hurt and won't even be close, in my opinion to returning to a decent form until the 2008 season. I would say pass right now and if he is still available next season, well take a shot, or maybe a minor league contract, but I know that that isn't going to happen.

I'd give Eddie a minor league deal so the team could monitor how good he looks during rehab, but old and injured is not a good place to be investing major league money.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Quote Originally Posted by oneupper View Post
    Problem with these "first half on the shelf" types is that they tend to be on the shelf in the second half, too.
    See. Wilson, Paul, Balfour, Grant.
    Yep.

If he "really wants to stay," then go ahead and sign him. When he's healthy.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd give Eddie a minor league deal so the team could monitor how good he looks during rehab, but old and injured is not a good place to be investing major league money.
    Totally agee.

Turn Off Ads?