Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Guardado wants to return to Reds

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Re: Guardado wants to return to Reds

I'd be OK with a minimum + incentives deal after we've taken our shot at whatever's out there on the market and it no longer presents any real opportunity cost. But not yet.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

2. Turn Off Ads?
    hollywood mid westerner

if we waste more money on the likes of Eddie Guardado, I'm done with this front office. it makes no sense to sign 3-4 injury plagued, 2nd-3rd tier, middle relief or utility infiellders, when you can combine that money to get 1-2 upper 2nd tier talent in free agency.

quality not quantity...please tell me you guys still have the jury out on Krivsky. PLEASE.

Quote Originally Posted by Patpacillosjock View Post
    if we waste more money on the likes of Eddie Guardado, I'm done with this front office. it makes no sense to sign 3-4 injury plagued, 2nd-3rd tier, middle relief or utility infiellders, when you can combine that money to get 1-2 upper 2nd tier talent in free agency.

quality not quantity...please tell me you guys still have the jury out on Krivsky. PLEASE.
    Well, of course, the jury's still out. He hasn't even been GM a full year. It's a frigging work in progress. We've had two offseason moves; two minors ones - a little noticed trade and a split contract signing. And everyone's putting every little tea leaf under a microscope. Do I think he's the real deal? Yeah. I could be wrong, but I'm not going to work myself up over every tiny thing he does.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I'd give Eddie a minor league deal so the team could monitor how good he looks during rehab, but old and injured is not a good place to be investing major league money.
    I have to agree with M2.

He isn't in position to command very much money, he wants to play in Cincy, and he is tough as nails. The season is long and the bullpen will surely need help towards the end of the season. I'd give him a chance at a reasonable price.
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

If Krivs wanted him that badly he would have already been signed. I think he will continue to take a wait and see approach with Eddie. Eddie and his agent both know the only offer he may get is with the Reds. So if Krivs does sign him we will get a very good deal.

I'd offer a 1-yr deal w/incentives to O. Dotel before contemplating Eddie.

I love Eddie. He added a swager to the bullpen and had great emotion. However after Tommy John surgery, we don't know at his age, if he will ever pitch again. He's so competitive, I'm afraid he will try to come back to early and damage his arm for good. Minor league deal at best.
    1st pick of the 2023 baseball amateur draft

I'm seeing alot of Jose Rijo in Eddie. In both the oddball sense of humor AND in the drive to play. He'll push himself to come back too soon if they let him I'm afraid.

That being said, I'd love to see Eddie back in Cincy. He's going to be cheap, sign him to a limited 2 year contract and see what happens.

I'd bring him back on an MLC incentive laden contract and an option for a 2nd year. He did wonders for our pen while he was healthy, dont overpay but let him know he's wanted back with a "fair deal". If he knows he is ready he will get a shot will keep him motivated to rehab.

My guess: Guardado's done. It'd be a crude waste of resources (both financial and medical) to keep him around.

Raise up them younguns on the farm.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    My guess: Guardado's done. It'd be a crude waste of resources (both financial and medical) to keep him around.

Raise up them younguns on the farm.
    What about while rehabbing let him hang around AAA park and see if he can't help the guys like Dumatrait, Homer out some, yes he has had injuries as he got older, but he earned the nickname "Everyday Eddie" for a reason.

Turn Off Ads?