Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loria authorizes payroll of $25 million for 2007 Marlins

Loria authorizes payroll of $25 million for 2007 Marlins

Florida fans are getting screwed. The Fish will be getting more back in revenue sharing than they spend on payroll.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

NAPLES -- "Oh, put me in, coach. I'm ready to play today. Look at me. I can be center field." -- John Fogerty

Yes, but could the songwriter's creation handle the cavernous dimensions at Dolphin Stadium? Could Fogerty's eager ballplayer learn to master the distant Bermuda Triangle 434 feet from home plate?

That's what makes this Marlins search for a center fielder (on a tight budget) so tricky.

It's not just a matter of swapping some excess pitching for an emerging outfielder with some speed, some sock and fewer than three years of service time.

The glove and the arm need to be there, too, in order to maximize the benefit of all that young pitching the organization has accumulated.

"It's one thing to say you can play center," says an American League personnel man. "It's another to do it at that ballpark in Miami. There's so few guys that can play it there."

It's not as simple as prying such a commodity away for the likes of Yusmeiro Petit, Renyel Pinto or Jose Garcia. That's why the Marlins, as they begin the process here at the General Managers meetings, could end up dipping into their sparkling big-league rotation for the right guy.

It won't be Dontrelle Willis. He'll open next year on the roster now that Jeffrey Loria has authorized a payroll in the $25 million range, according to a source familiar with the Marlins' thinking.

Anibal Sanchez would be awfully hard to move, too, after that September no-hitter.

But any one of the other three arms -- Ricky Nolasco, Scott Olsen and Josh Johnson, probably in descending order of likelihood -- could be had in the perfect deal.

Note I said any "one" of them. This isn't General Manager Larry Beinfest's first rodeo.

Who will the Marlins demand in exchange for such jewels?

Topping their list is the Devil Rays' Rocco Baldelli, all the way back after major knee and elbow surgeries. Not only is he an exquisite defender with power and speed, he's signed through as long as 2011 for as little as $26 million.

At worst, an acquiring team would have him for $750,000 next season and $2.25 million in 2008, plus a $4 million buyout on his 2009 option.

That's why a Devil Rays source said Tuesday the club would ask for multiple big-league ready starters, a price that might be too steep even for the pitching-rich Marlins. Then again ...

"That's definitely going to be something the Marlins go after," says a National League executive. "That guy fits everything the Marlins are about."

The Fish also like Astros speedster Willy Taveras, who they tried to get last July when he briefly fell out of favor. Unfortunately, Taveras hit .308 in the second half, thanks to a 30-game hitting streak, and his price may have skyrocketed.

Then again, the Astros have outfield depth and face great uncertainty in their rotation with Roger Clemens and/or Andy Pettitte eyeing retirement. They've also been sniffing around on free-agent center fielder Gary Matthews Jr.

Others who could rate one of the Marlins' starters include uber-prospects Matt Kemp (Dodgers), Chris Young (Diamondbacks) and Jacoby Ellsbury (Red Sox), as well as the Royals' David DeJesus, although none seems available at the moment.

DeJesus, while less gifted than Baldelli, has a similarly desirable contract (a guaranteed $13.3 million through 2010) and a reputation for gritty play.

Another Marlins target, Brian Anderson, has lost favor with the White Sox and could be had. Look for the Marlins to dangle slick shortstop Robert Andino and a lesser arm.

The crosstown Cubs could make injury-marred prospect Felix Pie available, but they'd probably have to re-sign free agent Juan Pierre or nab his replacement first. The Marlins would be interested.

Depending on what the Phillies get for Pat Burrell, speedy Shane Victorino could finally be moved. Trouble is, the Marlins have tried to get him the past two springs and gotten nowhere.

Chris Duffy reestablished himself with a strong finish in 2006, but the Pirates have plenty of young pitching and would probably ask for first baseman Mike Jacobs in return.

Lesser options include Chris Denorfia (Reds), Franklin Gutierrez (Indians), David Murphy (Red Sox) and Cory Sullivan (Rockies), although the latter two aren't much against lefties.

Frustrating, huh? That's life on a $25 million payroll.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Loria authorizes payroll of $25 million for 2007 Marlins

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    Lesser options include Chris Denorfia (Reds), Franklin Gutierrez (Indians), David Murphy (Red Sox) and Cory Sullivan (Rockies), although the latter two aren't much against lefties.
    Mike Berardino sees it, but the Reds don't seem to.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

$25 million would almost get the Marlins half of a Matsuzaka.

If baseball ever implements a salary cap, they must also implement a salary floor. Call it the "Loria Line."
    We'll burn that bridge when we get to it.

hollywood mid westerner

I read this title and I thought it meant he authorized 25 million more than last year's payroll.

wow this guy should just sell the team. what a terrible owner.

Dontrelle SHOULD be making around 12 a year roughly half of that. wow..i mean just wow.
    Last edited by paintmered; 11-18-2006 at 12:28 PM.

That 25 million is putting a better club on the field than the Reds and their seventy plus million.

Oh, yeah, they've also got more cats just jumping at the chance to exit the pipeline.

They can deal a highly overvalued Dontrelle Willis, as well as get a king's ransom X3 for Miguel Cabrera when the time is right.

They've done a fantastic job with that franchise over the years. It's a shame that no one cares.

Reminds me of that Mr. Show bit. "I'm a better person than Albert Einstein because I make more money."

"Take THAT Einstein!"
    "We know we're better than this, but we can't prove it." - Tony Gwynn

hollywood mid westerner

Quote Originally Posted by wheels View Post
    That 25 million is putting a better club on the field than the Reds and their seventy plus million.

"
    Wayne Krivsky = pwned

Oh, yeah, they've also got more cats just jumping at the chance to exit the pipeline.

They can deal a highly overvalued Dontrelle Willis, as well as get a king's ransom X3 for Miguel Cabrera when the time is right.

They've done a fantastic job with that franchise over the years. It's a shame that no one cares.

Reminds me of that Mr. Show bit. "I'm a better person than Albert Einstein because I make more money."

"Take THAT Einstein!"
    The Reds have a good enough payroll and terrible players and Marlins have a terrible payroll and good players.

Imagine having the Marlins roster with the Red's payroll.

They already have a better team, and you would have enough money to sign any free agent you desired, plus some

That would be amazing...

"Take THAT Einstein!"
    Its pretty hard to get excited about them.I live here and I can name 2 players.

Make sure to buy a yearbook next year.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DannyB View Post
    Amazingly, after the last 6 years of Reds baseball, I wish I couldn't name players like Milton, Michalak, Reith, Acevedo, Davis, Reidling, Anderson, Haynes, Hamilton, Serafini, Austin, Manzanillo, Sanchez, Norton, Wagner, Valentine, Fernandez, Bell, and Reyes.
    Championships Matter.
    23 Years and Counting...

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Amazingly, after the last 6 years of Reds baseball, I wish I couldn't name players like Milton, Michalak, Reith, Acevedo, Davis, Reidling, Anderson, Haynes, Hamilton, Serafini, Austin, Manzanillo, Sanchez, Norton, Wagner, Valentine, Fernandez, Bell, and Reyes.
    No Paul Wilson?

Loria should at least have to match his share of revenue sharing in payroll....

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Loria can bank the revenue for a couple of years and open the wallet in '09 for yet another run at the title. If that's the plan, he's crazy like a fox.

Turn Off Ads?