Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Importance of the new coaches stepping up

Importance of the new coaches stepping up

This is a statement of the obvious: it's critical that the new pitching and hitting coaches step up and speak their mind durring games next year. They need to have the hutzpuh to challenge Jerry's in game decisions.

I was generally a supporter of Jerry last year, but that doesn't mean I don't think he can improve or that he walks on water.

Pitching Coach: Has to tell Jerry that Milton (assuming he's here) needs a short leash in the 5th, a shorter leash in the 6th and doesn't pitch in the 7th...ever. Remind Jerry not to run to Ryan Franklin, or whoever the new "toy" is again and again and again....unless he's being effective. He needs to point out when relievers don't have their stuff and to pull them ASAP. He especially needs to stand up to Jerry and not let our horses pitch silly amounts of innings, especially in blow outs (either way).

Hitting Coach: Has to tell Jerry to pick a line up or two and stick with them. While my only position requirements are Dunn 2nd and EE 3rd, he can't let Jerry try to LaRussa every last game with wacky line ups. He needs to stand up and not let Jr hit 3rd if he continues to hit like 2006 (a tough political issue, I admit). He needs to force guys who need extra time in the cage or watching film to do it. Not just a show to keep fans happy, but really force the issue.

I'm not taking any responsibiliy off of Jerry. He's the manager so he's ultimatley responsibile and these are areas where he is weak. But these two key coaches, have a lot more on their plate besides helping players smooth out a kink in their swing or locate their pitches.

If anything, "coaching" Jerry may be even more important.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 11-15-2006 at 08:28 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Importance of the new coaches stepping up

Good Post. I'm guessing Jerry hired yes men.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Good Post. I'm guessing Jerry hired yes men.
    Hopefully Jerry's been around the game long enough to know that his coaching hires will make him look better if they supplement his shortcomings. If that's the reason he made the choices he did, then I would expect that his coaches will have the freedom to prod, cajole and teach as needed.

If you're right, then it's a safe bet Jerry won't be around the Reds much longer.

The new coaches owe their fealty to Jerry. That sort of arrangement can put candor in short supply.
    Makes all the routine posts.

I just hope they do step up and speak their minds and lend everything that they have. The Reds have some young guys coming up that can make the different in Votto, Bruce, and especially Bailey and we are trusting them to these coaches....please don't fail us now!

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redsland View Post
    The new coaches owe their fealty to Jerry. That sort of arrangement can put candor in short supply.
    OTOH, their continued employment is heavily dependent on Jerry's continued employment. If his coaches just sit on their hands when there are correctible problems, they're apt to end up carpooling with him to pick up their unemployment checks.

Actually, I don't see how telling Jerry that his pet 6-hole hitter needs to work more on hitting low sliders, or that his go-to MR guy could keep the ball down better with a few tweaks would be hazardous to their employment. If Jerry disagrees with feedback like that, then he made some bad hires.

Well, sure, any coach is going to be welcome to work with players to improve their games. I was responding to the original post, which suggested that the coaches should prod Jerry himself in unfamiliar directions.
    Makes all the routine posts.

Turn Off Ads?