Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

from rotoworld:

Free agent Alex Gonzalez reportedly has a three-year, $15 million offer on the table, likely from either the White Sox or the Reds.

The Blue Jays have also been talking to Gonzalez, but they didn't make the offer. If Gonzalez can get this kind of deal, Julio Lugo at four years and $32 million would look very attractive. Of course, if it's the White Sox that sign Gonzalez, the same teams that are considering Gonzalez right now would likely covet Juan Uribe. Uribe is about as good defensively and has more offensive potential. Should the Reds get Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips would stay at second base. It'd make the decision to re-sign Juan Castro look awfully redundant.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    hollywood mid westerner

Re: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

I would LOVE this deal. He will bat 7th or 8th in the order but man what a glove.

It would be better than signing Lugo to 9M per year. I don't think Gonzalez is far behind Lugo in terms of overall value, but that's more of an indicament of Lugo than anything else.

Gonzalez is a pretty bad hitter, but will get a decent boost by moving to GABP which will help. Based on the other FA prices out there, I don't think this would be such a terrible signing. He can help out the pitching staff by having decent defense up the middle, especially since we wouldn't have to move Phillips to SS. Phillips seems like a great fielding 2B, but I'm not sold that he can make the transition to SS and still be an above average fielder. SO it may be beneficial to sacrifice some hitting in the middle infield since we would get a huge boost of fielding at SS and 2B by the move.

If Krivsky did sign Gonzalez, it would make Castro basically useless (even more so than already), since we theoretically could only put him in defensively at 3rd base to get an upgrade fielding wise.

In summary, I think this move would be alright. He would actually provide some good defense at SS. He wouldn't be a great regular, but I could see him in the 15-20 range of starting SS. That's not bad for 5M in the current market.

Im all for it....that would be a nice middle infield

it would be a defensive SS that CAN actually play defense. Likely signal the end of RA as well. Of course it all could just be a bad rumor.

I'm still of the opinion that improving the defense on this team will help the pitching staff significantly. I know we have a lot of FB pitchers, but even if we cut down on 1/4 of the GBs becoming hits it'll be a boon to the staff.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

seems like the kind of player you sign to a 1 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    seems like the kind of player you sign to a 1 year deal.
    Yeah probably, but not in this market. Even 35 year old mediocre lefties get 3 year deals apparently.

Which one, the one with a career .292 OBP or the one with a career .302 OBP?

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    The one that can field.

Reds2006champs

Uribe has more power but his average last year was .235 while Gonzalez was .255 and Gold Glove defense ability.
    Last edited by Reds2006champs; 11-16-2006 at 09:44 PM.

the one that can make the routine play.:

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The one that can field.
    At least there would be some upside, but I still honestly don't know which one.

At least there would be some upside, but I still honestly don't know which one.
    The one who was with Florida for a number of years, and Boston last year.

The other one is on the verge of being out of the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    The one who was with Florida for a number of years, and Boston last year.

The other one is on the verge of being out of the league.
    Oh OK, so the one with the lower OBP. Thanks. It does look like he has some pop in his bat and considering this FA market, it may be a good deal.

Turn Off Ads?