Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

Re: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Kearns View Post
    If that's the guy we're wating on, we're screwed.
    And what is the matter with Janish?

BEST DRAFT PICK PERFORMANCE
    Paul Janish, SS, 21: Billings (short-season) – 205 at bats, .263/.406/.346, 11 doubles, 2 HR, 45 BB, 45 K, 7 sb
    Drafted in the 5th round this season from Rice, the scouting report read that Janish was the best defensive shortstop in college baseball. His bat, on the other hand, was far from developed. Not only did Janish showcase his above average shortstop actions, he hit better than expected. He has good size at 6’2” 180 pounds, but he’ll need more muscle to hit for power. He has a sweeping-type swing which doesn’t get around quick enough when he’s jammed inside with good fastballs. Nevertheless, his play at shortstop is very good with his great arm, plus range, and soft hands. He may not have the highest ceiling of this year’s draft picks, but he has the most polish.

http://minors.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2004/09/
    Last edited by Krusty; 11-16-2006 at 10:32 PM.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Krusty View Post
    He can't hit. He's 24, and had a .774 OPS in high A. At that age he needs to be hitting like that in AA, or even AAA.

He may make a decent utility guy if his fielding is as good as adevertised.
    Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 11-16-2006 at 10:32 PM.

other than the fact he can't hit much. He was way too old to playing Low A this year.

He can't hit.
    and never has except for a good half season in a low A league he was way too old for. I would be surprised if he ever makes to the majors. Although I will admit he had a slight window if he can do well in AA this year.
    Last edited by flyer85; 11-16-2006 at 10:33 PM.

hollywood mid westerner

I know I've posted this before but MOVE DUNN to 1st! Move Griffey to Left! THen find a good bat/glove in RF via free agency

our lineup would be

LF Griffey
    CF Freel
    RF FA
    3b EE
    SS Gonzalez
    2b Phillips
    1b dunn
    c ross

i like it..i wish i was a GM

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    Where is someone to talk me out of thinking this is not a bad signing?
    Well, not every person and set of defensive metrics thinks AG is all that with the glove. And the bat (or at least the OBP) is decidedly subpar. But if he's the run-saver with the glove that many think and Krivsky is looking at shortstop as a defense-first position, he'd be the type of player to fit the bill: best defender available that isn't totally useless at the plate.

I'd rather see a deal shorter than three years if it's us that's offering it, though.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

BEST DRAFT PICK PERFORMANCE
    Paul Janish, SS, 21: Billings (short-season) – 205 at bats, .263/.406/.346, 11 doubles, 2 HR, 45 BB, 45 K, 7 sb
    Drafted in the 5th round this season from Rice, the scouting report read that Janish was the best defensive shortstop in college baseball. His bat, on the other hand, was far from developed. Not only did Janish showcase his above average shortstop actions, he hit better than expected. He has good size at 6’2” 180 pounds, but he’ll need more muscle to hit for power. He has a sweeping-type swing which doesn’t get around quick enough when he’s jammed inside with good fastballs. Nevertheless, his play at shortstop is very good with his great arm, plus range, and soft hands. He may not have the highest ceiling of this year’s draft picks, but he has the most polish.

http://minors.mostvaluablenetwork.com/2004/09/
    That all sounds nice, but that was from 3 seasons ago. He was never a very good hitter (and that's why he was a 5th round pick), and that has stayed true.

He's 24 and basically hasn't played much above high A. If he's at that level, he better be dominating, rather than just "fitting in".

part of BBN

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    There are plenty of options to hit 8th on this team. Need some one to hit 5th and 6th.
    bingo.

How much is Marcus Giles expected to get? Everything I've found about Gonzalez says he's nothing more than an average defender, and while his bat might get a boost at GABP, I don't think his career .684OPS will help the lineup any.

Even if Giles is too expensive, playing Freel at second and Denorfia in right be would save a bunch of cash and probably be better anyway wouldn't it? I don't understand you Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    How much is Marcus Giles expected to get? Everything I've found about Gonzalez says he's nothing more than an average defender, and while his bat might get a boost at GABP, I don't think his career .684OPS will help the lineup any.

Even if Giles is too expensive, playing Freel at second and Denorfia in right be would save a bunch of cash and probably be better anyway wouldn't it? I don't understand you Wayne.
    AG at short and Phillips at second is a special defensive combo. Moving Phillips to short and putting Freel at second is far weaker defensively. Krivsky wants good defense, not playing guys out of position to get offense in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    AG at short and Phillips at second is a special defensive combo. Moving Phillips to short and putting Freel at second is far weaker defensively. Krivsky wants good defense, not playing guys out of position to get offense in the lineup.
    Agreed, Plus I dont think krivsky wants to experiment and hope that Phillips can play a steller shortstop.

It would have helped if they tried Phillips at SS last season so that we could figure out what we have rather than potentially dismissing the whole idea altogether.

I still think we need to give Guillen a tryout to see if he's healthy.

AGonzalez for 5 mil a year? Eh... thats the market right now.

Bring in Guillen and sit Dunn and Junior down for a long discussion:

Freel RF/CF
    Dunn 1b (til he proves to be a middle of the order guy then Phillips here)
    Guillen RF/CF (if healthy proves great d and some pop)
    Junior LF
    Ed E 3b
    Phillips 2b
    LaRue/Ross C
    AGonzalez SS

Ehhh something along those lines could probably be an upgrade over where we finished last year... If Narron doesnt screw it up every couple games.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    Which one, the one with a career .292 OBP or the one with a career .302 OBP?
    Maybe both, merge em and you have one fine set of numbers
    Go Gators!

It would have helped if they tried Phillips at SS last season so that we could figure out what we have rather than potentially dismissing the whole idea altogether.
    I don't believe they've dismissed the idea altogether, as you put it. I think they've gone into this market looking for which opportunity presented itself. If a decent, well-priced second sacker came, then swing Phillips to Short. If a SS came, then leave Phillips at 2nd. I think that's been an intelligent approach.

Turn Off Ads?