Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

Re: Are we getting Alex Gonzalez?

I think Krivsky is out to improve the defense. The right side of the infield is solid with Hatteberg and Phillips. Gonzalez would be a huge upgrade on the left side. Hopefully (fingers crossed) Encarncion can improve on his throws. If not, you will see Castro playing third in the eight and ninth innings.

How Krivsky improves the outfield defense will be very interesting to watch.
    If you think small, you'll go nowhere in life.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I think Krivsky is out to improve the defense.
    Sure Gonzalez and Phillips is a little better defensively than Phillips and Freel, but unless Phillips absolutely sucks at shortstop and Gonzalez has a breakout year with the bat, there is no way adding Gonzalez is an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    Sure Gonzalez and Phillips is a little better defensively than Phillips and Freel, but unless Phillips absolutely sucks at shortstop and Gonzalez has a breakout year with the bat, there is no way adding Gonzalez is an upgrade.
    I don't see Freel as a 2b, hopefully the Reds don't either.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I somewhat disagree with you Cedric. I think Freel has shown he can play the position quite well, plus he would be more prone to staying healthier playing 2B as opposed to the outfield. I'm not saying I'm advocating it because I think this team is in need of new blood, but I do believe he could be a very good second baseman if he was given a chance at it full-time.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
    I somewhat disagree with you Cedric. I think Freel has shown he can play the position quite well, plus he would be more prone to staying healthier playing 2B as opposed to the outfield. I'm not saying I'm advocating it because I think this team is in need of new blood, but I do believe he could be a very good second baseman if he was given a chance at it full-time.
    I would much rather see Freel at 2b than say Castro at SS and Phillips at 2b.

I would just love to have Griffey out of CF and replace him with Freel.
    This is the time. The real Reds organization is back.

Quote Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
    I would much rather see Freel at 2b than say Castro at SS and Phillips at 2b.

I would just love to have Griffey out of CF and replace him with Freel.
    I totally agree with your first statement. I don't want Castro anywhere near a starting lineup.

I'm all for finding a replacement for Junior in CF, I just don't like Freel there. I think he plays too wrecklessly for that position. The diving catches are fun to watch, but too many times he's diving when he shouldn't which will lead to serious injuries if he plays there full-time or balls that go to the fence with runners on base. There are certain situations when diving, even though it looks good, isn't sound baseball and I don't think Freel gets that.

He may not win a gold glove, but Freel can't be that bad. With his bat, Freel would have to suck in record breaking fashion on the defensive end in order to be outperformed by Gonzalez as an overall player. I feel like I'm the minority, but I still don't see how paying Gonzalez 15 million helps the team in anyway.

Gonzalez for three years is about two years too long.

Reds mum on Gonzalez
    BY JOHN FAY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

Rumor has the Reds in the running for shortstop Alex Gonzalez. The Boston Globe has reported that the Reds may be one of two teams offering Gonzalez a three-year, $15 million deal.

On Friday, Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky refused to discuss the rumor.

"I'm not going to confirm it or deny or it," Krivsky said.

Have you talked to Gonzalez's agent?

"I've talked to a lot of agents," Krivsky said. "We're not going to talk about who we've talked to and who we haven't."

Gonzalez's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, did not return a call Friday afternoon.

A lot of teams make it public when they meet with free agents. That is not Krivsky's style.

"We won't announce anything until a deal is done and the player's signed and had a physical," Krivsky said.

The talk of the Reds and Gonzalez may be just a matter of people putting two and two together: The Reds need a shortstop and Gonzalez is the best one available on the free agent market.

He hit .255 with nine home runs and 50 RBI last year, but he is a superior fielder.

With Krivsky's goal of improving the defense, making an effort to sign Gonzalez would make sense

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...PT04/311170040

my two cents

1. SS is a defense first position. I like ( in theory ) that WK wants defense at SS.

2. if the Reds have Gonzalez ( or similar weak stick ) at SS, Phillips at 2B, Deno in CF and Valentin/Ross at C then we need to have some big bats at 3B,1B,LF & RF.
    EE and Dunn are big bats. Hatteberg is not. Griffey at this stage is OK vs rhp and terrible vs lhp. We will need Votto to be ready AND need better production from RF.

3. 3 years at $5,000,000/year? ouch. I would have thought 1 year at $2,000,000. Isn't there a cheaper slick fielding/weak hitting SS available?
    The 2007 free agent market is nuts.

- Will

from FoxSports today

A new shortstop in Cincinnati?

Free-agent shortstop Alex Gonzalez is believed to be close to signing a three-year contract with the Reds.

Gonzalez's agent, Eric Goldschmidt, said he expects to complete a deal by the start of next week, but would not specify with which club.

The White Sox, a team speculated to be involved with Gonzalez, have not contacted Goldschmidt, according to a major-league source.

The Blue Jays also have shown interest in Gonzalez, but a second source said they would balk at the rumored price — three years, $15 million.

Gonzalez, 28, is one of the game's top defensive shortstops, but his .179 batting average with runners in scoring position last season was the lowest in the majors.

The Red Sox are pursuing free-agent shortstop Julio Lugo, who would be a significant offensive upgrade over Gonzalez.

Re: from FoxSports today

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Gonzalez, 28, is one of the game's top defensive shortstops, but his .179 batting average with runners in scoring position last season was the lowest in the majors.
    ... worst at the majors in the most important stat in the game. Well at least he'll make Dunn look good. :

So it's a pretty sure thing now?

I'm not gonna lie. It's a big risk and I'm still not a huge fan, but I'm starting to see a bit of upside and hope to this deal after my anger has settled. His last two years have been absolute train wrecks, but you can't overlook the fact that the guy put up seasons of 18 and 23 homers in that massive Florida park. Even if he puts up a .300OBP, here's to hoping Gonzalez joins Aurilia, Hatteberg, Randa... and turns a GABP corner to a breakout season and macs 30 homers!
    Last edited by Superdude; 11-18-2006 at 12:44 AM.

Hopefully not, Gonzalez is the type of player you shouldn't be paying multi-year contracts for as he can't hit a lick, he better have a power surge ala Rich lol. If Krivsky does this, further signs of incompetence IMO.

Find these types cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aronchis View Post
    Hopefully not, Gonzalez is the type of player you shouldn't be paying multi-year contracts for as he can't hit a lick, he better have a power surge ala Rich lol. If Krivsky does this, further signs of incompetence IMO.

Find these types cheap.
    You can't in the current marketplace. Have you seen other signings? Frank freaking Thomas is getting 9 million a year to be an elderly DH...

Turn Off Ads?