Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 25 1234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 490

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Location
    Phoenix, Az
    Posts
    581

    Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

    Sorry if this has been posted...


    Alex Gonzalez-SS-Red Sox Nov. 16 - 8:32 pm et


    Free agent Alex Gonzalez reportedly has a three-year, $15 million offer on the table, likely from either the White Sox or the Reds.

    The Blue Jays have also been talking to Gonzalez, but they didn't make the offer. If Gonzalez can get this kind of deal, Julio Lugo at four years and $32 million would look very attractive. Of course, if it's the White Sox that sign Gonzalez, the same teams that are considering Gonzalez right now would likely covet Juan Uribe. Uribe is about as good defensively and has more offensive potential. Should the Reds get Gonzalez, Brandon Phillips would stay at second base. It'd make the decision to re-sign Juan Castro look awfully redundant.

    Yuck, let's hope it's the Sox who want him.

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,069

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    I would cry if this is what Krivsky thinks is a good option.

    PLEASE be the White Sox!!

    His 06 numbers:

    .255 .299 .397 .696

    3 years...15 mil!!!! this is ridiculous. I hope it is a lie that he has that just so he can try to drive the price up.

  3. #3
    One and a half men Patrick Bateman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,874

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I would cry if this is what Krivsky thinks is a good option.

    PLEASE be the White Sox!!

    His 06 numbers:

    .255 .299 .397 .696

    3 years...15 mil!!!! this is ridiculous. I hope it is a lie that he has that just so he can try to drive the price up.
    Yes his hitting is poor, but he also offers some of the best defense at SS in all of baseball. Based on the alternatives currently available, I think this would be okay.

    He would provide a good boost to the pitching, especially when paired with Phillips, we would have one of the best DP combos in baseball.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    13,488

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I would cry if this is what Krivsky thinks is a good option.

    PLEASE be the White Sox!!

    His 06 numbers:

    .255 .299 .397 .696

    3 years...15 mil!!!! this is ridiculous. I hope it is a lie that he has that just so he can try to drive the price up.

    Honus Wagner and Ozzie Smith are unavailable this year. Three years and 15 million for a great fielding shortstop who can hit .250 is fine with me. Reds will have to add offense at other positions but this would be a huge upgrade in the infield. If they sign Gonzalez, how about some ground ball type pitchers so he has something to field.

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    4,069

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Honus Wagner and Ozzie Smith are unavailable this year. Three years and 15 million for a great fielding shortstop who can hit .250 is fine with me. Reds will have to add offense at other positions but this would be a huge upgrade in the infield. If they sign Gonzalez, how about some ground ball type pitchers so he has something to field.
    I see what you are saying, and I guess this move is ok IF! we add a ton of offense elsewhere. There is a lot of talk about trading Dunn. We can't be trading him without getting some O in return.

    But let's get realistic with some of those comparisons. His D is not Ozzie Smith or Honus Wagner like. His range factor was IDENTICAL to Royce Clayton's this year via the Bill James Handbook. He was the 15th ranked SS in the majors. In 2006. I'll pass.

  6. #6
    Yay!
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Middletown, Ohio
    Posts
    7,429

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    But let's get realistic with some of those comparisons. His D is not Ozzie Smith or Honus Wagner like. His range factor was IDENTICAL to Royce Clayton's this year via the Bill James Handbook. He was the 15th ranked SS in the majors. In 2006. I'll pass.

    http://www.baseballthinkfactory.org/...s_as_i_see_it/

    "Dialed in" had Gonzales ranked 3rd in the AL with 14 Runs Saved vs. average SS/150. Clayton was -7.
    When all is said and done more is said than done.

  7. #7
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by AvesIce51 View Post
    I would cry if this is what Krivsky thinks is a good option.

    PLEASE be the White Sox!!

    His 06 numbers:

    .255 .299 .397 .696
    What are those numbers in comparison to the league average for SS's?

    I know they are somewhat low, but would it be a solid improvement to our middle INF defense? Is that a plus that should be factored into the equation other then looking at a player's OPS?

    Why is that always the first thing many seem to look at on a player?

    OPS alone is not the most reliable and dependable stat for getting a total evaluation of a player. IMHO, it's not a "tell-all" stat.

    But I also agree with M2. If the offense is there around a player like Gonzalez, and can make up for that "lack", then I see nothing wrong when that player has a solid glove.

    I just wouldn't commit to him long term.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-17-2006 at 10:11 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.
    Posts
    10,615

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    OPS alone is not the most reliable and dependable stat for getting a total evaluation of a player. IMHO, it's not a "tell-all" stat.
    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Gonzalez, but what stat "alone" is more reliable for getting a total evaluation of a player?

    I'd argue that no stat "alone" gives a complete evaluation of a player, but OPS as a sole stat comes closest.

  9. #9
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of Gonzalez, but what stat "alone" is more reliable for getting a total evaluation of a player?

    I'd argue that no stat "alone" gives a complete evaluation of a player, but OPS as a sole stat comes closest.
    My point is that every time a player is mentioned, OPS is immediately utilized to quantify whether the player is worth it, or simply fodder.

    I'm not disagreeing that OPS isn't a "quick reference" to give a basic feel about a player. Only that when evaluating a player, looking at OB% and SLG% only is not giving a complete picture when evaluating a player and/or what they might contribute.

    What about defense? If this guy can bring a solid upgrade, at a reasonable price, to this middle INF, is that of any value and/or should be considered?

    Concepcion played 19 season with a sub-700 OPS.

    How many games did our defense lose for us last year? Would Gonzalez possibly help to improve on that?

    And what other viable alternatives are out there and available right now as far as SS/2B?
    Last edited by GAC; 11-17-2006 at 01:05 PM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  10. #10
    Member Wheelhouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    2,907

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    My point is that every time a player is mentioned, OPS is immediately utilized to quantify whether the player is worth it, or simply fodder.

    I'm not disagreeing that OPS isn't a "quick reference" to give a basic feel about a player. Only that when evaluating a player, looking at OB% and SLG% only is not giving a complete picture when evaluating a player and/or what they might contribute.

    What about defense? If this guy can bring a solid upgrade, at a reasonable price, to this middle INF, is that of any value and/or should be considered?

    Concepcion played 19 season with a sub-700 OPS.

    How many games did our defense lose for us last year? Would Gonzalez possibly help to improve on that?

    And what other viable alternatives are out there and available right now as far as SS/2B?
    Good courage GAC. We can only hope that you would not be attacked if you didn't put a smiley next to the Concepcion sentencen about OPS, but I'm not sure that would soften the Maoist wrath of those who bring their sliderules to the ballpark. The answer is, OPS can describe, at most, 1/3 of a players value--another 1/3 being defense, and the other 1/3 being intangibles. But, of course, anything being intangible in the game is an enormous threat to those who think the game is wholly definable in numbers.
    "Don't trust any statistics you did not fake yourself."--Winston Churchill

  11. #11
    THAT'S A FACT JACK!! GAC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Bellefontaine, Ohio
    Posts
    26,668

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    I like the signing. It fills a dire need on this team - solid middle INF defense.

    To those that hate this signing I simply ask....

    "What else, as far as SSs was out there and available? Are you saying you would have passed? What then was your solution for the Red's middle INF in '07?"

    Signing Gonzo does not financially strap this organization. Or is it going to prevent them from still dealing in the market and/or making a trade for other pressing needs (pitcher, run producer).

    The market itself COULD prevent that.

    But again... IMHO, they filled a dire need on this team.

    Now if we can just get them to put Deno in CFer (since he is our ONLY alternative at this point), we'd really go along way to improving this defense.

    Kriv's next step though HAS to be addressing either issue of runs allowed and/or runs produced.
    Last edited by GAC; 11-19-2006 at 05:44 AM.
    "panic" only comes from having real expectations

  12. #12
    Greatness In The Making RedLegSuperStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Posts
    4,078

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    I'm down with that. 5 mil per.. not to shabby for a slick fielding SS. Put him in GABP and who knows.. that average could rise.

  13. #13
    Baseball card addict MrCinatit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Piqua
    Posts
    4,429

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    I wouldn't be mad if we got him. Stellar shortstops don't seem to be populationg the market this year - and having someone who can actually catch and throw the ball could be a nice relief.
    As long as it is the one from the Redsox, and not the one from the Phillies.

  14. #14
    Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,508

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Would you rather have Clatyon?


    I'd be fine with this move. DEFENSE

  15. #15
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    9,035

    Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds???

    Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    Would you rather have Clatyon?
    Is that the only other option?

    I would prefer they explore other options...


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25