Turn Off Ads?
Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 232930313233

Thread: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

Re: Alex Gonzalez to the Reds

I whish Majewski's career with reds was as short as Al Jackson's or Dennis Ribant's

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    I guess we should get used to it for this season... unless they deal him, the boy had some deer in the headlight moments after he became a Red.
    I hold out hope that Krivsky intends to push Majewski to the edge of the bullpen or possibly even out of it.

Based on the team's actions last year, I'm fairly comfortable in stating that if Majewski rehashes his master of disaster routine, you won't be seeing much of him in 2007 (at least not in a Reds uniform). The Krivsky regime showed little patience for relievers who can't get the job done.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    I hold out hope that Krivsky intends to push Majewski to the edge of the bullpen or possibly even out of it.

Based on the team's actions last year, I'm fairly comfortable in stating that if Majewski rehashes his master of disaster routine, you won't be seeing much of him in 2007 (at least not in a Reds uniform). The Krivsky regime showed little patience for relievers who can't get the job done.
    yet great acumen for acquiring them.

kind of an odd combination.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    yet great acumen for acquiring them.

kind of an odd combination.
    Agreed, though I still think he might have learned a lesson from the 2006 bullpen follies. Krivsky can be refreshingly direct to a problem (e.g. the Gonzalez signing goes right at one of the team's two chief defensive hangups). If he can identify what his bullpen most needs (right-handed octane) I think we can count on him to gallop in another direction.

Surely he must have noticed how few of his relievers were able to whiff the opposition.

I'd say Krivsky's best moves have come as the result of him making things simple -- identifying reasonable fixes to clear problems. His worst moves have come as a result of him making things overly complex -- hoping that some nebulous form of baseball voodoo will take hold.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

Well The Trade was a perfect example of overly complicating things.

The one thing I have really enjoyed, pretty much from the time of the trade on is the discussion surrounding it. Almost everyone agrees that neither player the Reds surrendered was untouchable. So if that's the case, then the argument is the return. Nobody can defend the return, but their are different perspectives on why.

• Some feel the return was too little based on the return for WMP.
    • I feel that the players returned were no better than what was in house.
    • Some feel the loss of offense cost the reds a wildcard spot.
    • Some feel it shows Krivsky has no real plan in place to make the team better.

To me it seems all those arguments have some merit to them, that it is likely a combination of all four, and more. I am hoping that in a more relaxed atmosphere Krivsky can make the moves needed to make this team better. AGon wil certainly help with the defense, Especially if Deno is the starting CF. But if he is, Jr. better be in LF, with Dunn at 1B, or it's moot. Freel must be the starting RF. He must lead off. He is a force on the basepaths. He can change the game just by reaching 1B. He wreaks havoc. Go back to the game he stole 5 bases against the Dodgers to see what I mean. It isn't just "scrappiness". He is an actual difference maker. He can bring the crowd into the game. And he is an absolute joy to watch.

So Krivsky has to step up. He has to tell Jr. his time in CF is over, that his best chance for the post season as a red is to move to a corner OF spot. Dunn has to move to 1B. his OF defense is bad, and that's being generous.

Sometime being a great GM is recognizing the flaws in the parts you have, yet maximizing their potential. KGJ and AD's defensive liabilities can be masked somewhat. A simple position switch is all it needs.
    Suck it up cupcake.

You know, I hadn't even thought of the best part of the Gonzalez signing until right now.

This deal will quash all talk about Jerry Gil being the Reds' starting SS. That was a bizarre concept that only going to get weirder as the offseason wore on, a cousin to the staff ace Luke Hudson chatter from a few years back.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    You know, I hadn't even thought of the best part of the Gonzalez signing until right now.

This deal will quash all talk about Jerry Gil being the Reds' starting SS. That was a bizarre concept that only going to get weirder as the offseason wore on, a cousin to the staff ace Luke Hudson chatter from a few years back.
    Minor correction: The best part of the Gonzalez signing is, it kills all talk about Juan Castro possibly being the Reds' starting shortstop.

But yes, Gil can go back to being the no-risk flyer he was presumed to be.
    Not all who wander are lost

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

Due to the events of last weekend (cough..cough) I have been out of the loop with the Reds and am just getting around to this thread. Anyway, if I could say one thing about this pick up, it's ho-hum. This deal does not excite me, but it's okay.

I look at his lack of bat like this..... I'm trying to be positive here:

Just pretend he has the OPS and bat of David Ross, and Ross has Gonzo's.

We trade a lot of bat for defense with Gonzalez and a lot of defense for bat with Ross. I mean, if Ross was the one OPS'ing .690 with a great glove and Gonzo was putting up .800+ with an average glove, we could live with it, right?

Does that make sense? Forgive me if it does not as my brain is still mushy from Saturday.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    Due to the events of last weekend (cough..cough) I have been out of the loop with the Reds and am just getting around to this thread. Anyway, if I could say one thing about this pick up, it's ho-hum. This deal does not excite me, but it's okay.

I look at his lack of bat like this..... I'm trying to be positive here:

Just pretend he has the OPS and bat of David Ross, and Ross has Gonzo's.

We trade a lot of bat for defense with Gonzalez and a lot of defense for bat with Ross. I mean, if Ross was the one OPS'ing .690 with a great glove and Gonzo was putting up .800+ with an average glove, we could live with it, right?

Does that make sense? Forgive me if it does not as my brain is still mushy from Saturday.
    Interesting perspective BR. Regardless of his "true" ability, we got 191 AB of .663 OPS from Jason LaRue last year that will presumably go to Dave Ross. I don't think anybody sees a repeat of his Piazza-esque line from '06, but 350-400 AB of .800 OPS isn't unreasonable. A lot rides of Ross' shoulders however of sustaining a solid offensive pace. If he drops in to the .330/.400 type territory, we're in trouble.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

What Gammons wrote on his blog (about the Red Sox potentially signing Lugo and the perceived improvement):

"To repeat, Gonzalez was so undependable that he played too few games at shortstop to qualify for the defensive sortable statistics, and his 6-for-58 with runners in scoring position and two outs tells you all you need you know about when pitchers had to make pitches to him"
    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum... and I'm all out of bubble gum."
    - - Rowdy Roddy Piper

"It takes a big man to admit when he is wrong. I am not a big man"
    - - Fletch

Turn Off Ads?