Turn Off Ads?

View Poll Results: Which Second Basemen belong in the RedsZone Hall of Fame?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Newt Allen

1 3.03%
  • Cupid Childs

2 6.06%
  • Bobby Doerr

9 27.27%
  • Bingo DeMoss

2 6.06%
  • Larry Doyle

2 6.06%
  • Johnny Evers

3 9.09%
  • Nellie Fox

14 42.42%
  • Frankie Frisch

22 66.67%
  • Kid Gleason

4 12.12%
  • Joe Gordon

6 18.18%
  • Bobby Grich

12 36.36%
  • Billy Herman

5 15.15%
  • Sammy Hughes

1 3.03%
  • Miller Huggins

1 3.03%
  • Tony Lazzeri

7 21.21%
  • Bill Mazeroski

14 42.42%
  • Bill Monroe

3 9.09%
  • Buddy Myer

2 6.06%
  • Willie Randolph

5 15.15%
  • Hardy Richardson

0 0%
  • Ryne Sandberg

27 81.82%
  • George Scales

1 3.03%
  • Red Schoendienst

9 27.27%
  • Eddie Stanky

5 15.15%
  • Lou Whitaker

19 57.58%
  • Jimmy Williams

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Second Basemen

RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Second Basemen

RedsZone Hall of Fame First Basemen Poll is open until November 19th, 2006.

Vote for all SECOND BASEMEN you believe should be in the RedsZone Hall of Fame. This is a multiple-choice poll so you're allowed to vote for more than one player.

For reference purposes: Major League Baseball Hall of Fame Second Basemen

Previously Elected Second Basemen: Rod Carew, Eddie Collins, Charlie Gehringer, Rogers Hornsby, Nap Lajoie, Bid McPhee, Joe Morgan, and Jackie Robinson

Dropped From Ballot: Bobby Avila, Tom Daly, Lonnie Frey, Jim Gilliam, Dave Lopes, Dick McAuliffe, Gil McDougald, Danny Murphy, Fred Pfeffer, Del Pratt, Pete Runnels, Steve Sax, and Frank White

Players from earlier eras may be lesser known among some RedsZone voters, but in the efforts of encouraging everybody to vote while also maintaining a somewhat level playing field for all eligible candidates, we've instituted a tier system for support needed to gain election ...
    • Negro Leaguers: Need 3/8 support
    • 19th century (i.e. pre 1903): Need 2/5 support
    • Early Modern (roughly 1903-1945): Need 1/2 support
    • Integration (roughly 1945-1970): Need 5/8 support
    • Post Integration (roughly 1970-present): Need 2/3 support

The charts below are win shares data for all candidates. In order from left to right, the columns are career win shares, five-year peak win shares, win shares per 162 games, win shares during a player's top season and the predominant era each player played in (for purposes of the tier voting system). Happy voting!
    Code:
    Player          Career WS   Peak WS   WS per 162  Top Season       Era
    Newt Allen          --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Cupid Childs        238        127       26.48         32       19th Century
    Bobby Doerr*        281        127       22.61         27       Early Modern to WWII
    Bingo DeMoss        --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Larry Doyle         289        130       26.51         33       Early Modern to WWII
    Johnny Evers        268        117       24.34         28       Early Modern to WWII
    Nellie Fox          304        128       20.81         32       Integration
    Frankie Frisch      366        135       25.66         34       Early Modern to WWII
    Kid Gleason**       294        140       24.23         45       19th Century
    Joe Gordon*         242        134       21.07         31       Early Modern to WWII
    Bobby Grich         329        143       26.54         32       Post Integration
    Billy Herman*       298        135       25.12         32       Early Modern to WWII
    Sammy Hughes        --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------

* Missed playing time due to WWII
    ** Accumulated 51 percent of his win shares as a pitcher
    Code:
    Player          Career WS   Peak WS   WS per 162  Top Season       Era
    Miller Huggins      222        104       22.68         27       Early Modern to WWII
    Tony Lazzeri        252        115       23.46         30       Early Modern to WWII
    Bill Mazeroski      219         92       16.40         23       Integration
    Bill Monroe         --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Buddy Myer          258        115       21.73         33       Early Modern to WWII
    Willie Randolph     312        114       22.95         31       Post Integration
    Hardy Richardson    230        111       27.99         32       19th Century
    Ryne Sandberg       346        154       25.90         38       Post Integration
    George Scales       --------------- NEGRO LEAGUES ----------------------------------
    Red Schoendienst    262        108       19.15         27       Integration
    Eddie Stanky        191        113       24.58         30       Integration
    Lou Whitaker        351        116       23.79         29       Post Integration
    Jimmy Williams      217        110       24.14         32       Early Modern to WWII
    Last edited by Cyclone792; 11-17-2006 at 12:35 AM.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Put an end to the Lost Decade.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RedsZone Hall of Fame, Version 2006-07 - Second Basemen

Willie Randolph is still on the ballot, but you have him listed as being dropped. Is he supposed to be on the ballot?

Yep, he's supposed to be on the ballot, and I just fixed it. Thanks for catching that.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

I voted for Frisch and Sandberg. There are a lot of others on the ballot that I regard as borderline guys who arguably should make it, but those two were my only "no-doubters."
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

Grich is one of the most underrated players in history.

As for Frisch, he was at the center of two National League dynasties. You can make a pretty good argument that he was Golden Age baseball in the National League.
    Baseball isn't a magic trick ... it doesn't get spoiled if you figure out how it works. - gonelong

I'm witchcrafting everybody.

Somebody should Tinker with the poll to give Evers a Chance.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

Grich is one of the most underrated players in history.
    Very true, but to me Grich seems to be crossing over into the Joe Rudi paradox...he's famous for being underrated (at least in the baseball research community).

I voted for Sandberg, Frisch, and two sentimental favorites: Schoendienst and Buddy Myer.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by chicoruiz View Post
    I voted for Sandberg, Frisch, and two sentimental favorites: Schoendienst and Buddy Myer.
    So you're the other one who voted for Myer. I'd think On-Base Buddy would get more love from this group.
    The widow is gathering nettles for her children's dinner; a perfumed seigneur, delicately lounging in the Oeil de Boeuf, hath an alchemy whereby he will extract the third nettle and call it rent. ~ Carlyle

I voted for:

Childs, Doerr, Fox, Frisch, Gordon, Grich, Herman, Sandberg, and Whitaker.

When you look at it, several of these players are virtually identical to their contemporaries. For example, Ryne Sandberg, Bobby Grich, and Lou Whitaker put up very similar numbers. Likewise, Frankie Frisch and Billy Herman were similar, as were Joe Gordon and Bobby Doerr. It's hard to vote for one and not the other(s).
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quick note ... this poll closes in three days so if you haven't voted, please do so!

My ballot ...

Bingo DeMoss
    Larry Doyle
    Frankie Frisch
    Bobby Grich
    Billy Herman
    Bill Mazeroski
    Ryne Sandberg
    Lou Whitaker

DeMoss is the only Negro Leaguer that I voted for. Second base seems to be a relatively weak position historically for the Negro Leagues, though I believe Martin DiHigo (who I'll list as an outfielder) spent a part of his career playing second base.

Big Klu is definitely right that some of these guys are very similar to each other, and if you vote for one, it makes it tough not to vote for the other (and vice versa by not voting for one). I see Nellie Fox, Bobby Doerr, and Joe Gordon all as very similar players, and I felt that I was either going to vote for all three of them or none of them. In the end, I decided not to vote for any of them, though I did vote for Larry Doyle who is also similar so I could just have easily voted for the entire trio of Fox, Doerr, and Gordon.

FWIW, IMO Ryne Sandberg and Frankie Frisch are the two best second basemen on this ballot, and as of now they're looking like they're going to be elected.
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

...he's famous for being underrated (at least in the baseball research community).
    There was the time he tried to choke Earl Weaver.
    "...You just have a wider lens than one game."
    --Former Reds GM Wayne Krivsky, on why he didn't fly Josh Hamilton to Colorado for one game.

"...its money well-spent. Don't screw around with your freedom."
    --Roy Tucker, on why you need to lawyer up when you find yourself swimming with sharks.

This ballot is closed, and two more second basemen have been elected this season. Ryne Sandberg sails in with strong support, receiving 81.82 percent of the vote, and Frankie Frisch also gained considerable support with 66.67 percent of the vote to gain election.

This brings the total number of second basemen elected to the RedsZone Hall of Fame to 10:
    Code:
    Second Basemen (10)

Rod Carew             
    Eddie Collins
    Frankie Frisch         
    Charlie Gehringer     
    Rogers Hornsby        
    Nap Lajoie            
    Bid McPhee            
    Joe Morgan           
    Jackie Robinson
    Ryne Sandberg
    The Third Basemen Ballot is currently open and will be open for approximately another week. If you haven't voted for the hot corner RZ HOFers yet, please do so!
    Barry Larkin - HOF, 2012

Turn Off Ads?