Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bonds to file for free agency ASAP

Senor Votto

Bonds to file for free agency ASAP

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Barry Bonds plans to file for free agency the first day he can, and no negotiations have taken place with the Giants about keeping the slugger in San Francisco.

The first time Bonds would be eligible to file is the day after the World Series ends.

"The only thing that would stop Barry from filing for free agency would be if a deal was in place from the Giants," Bonds' agent, Jeff Borris, said Friday in a phone interview. "Since there has been no dialogue up to this point, I have no reason to believe he would do anything but file for free agency."

Under baseball's new collective bargaining agreement, a five-year deal reached Tuesday night, there is less of a time constraint on the Giants and Bonds to get something done on a new contract.

The previous labor agreement mandated that if the Giants had not offered Bonds arbitration by Dec. 7, they would be unable to sign him until May 1. Now, the club can still negotiate with the 42-year-old Bonds even if it doesn't offer him arbitration by the new Dec. 1 deadline.

"I don't think it helps, but it doesn't hurt either," Borris said.

While the agreement does buy San Francisco some time, Giants officials don't seem convinced they will have any better chance of re-signing Bonds for a 15th season.

"We haven't really studied it," executive vice president Larry Baer said Friday. "Every signing is going to be an undertaking. Whatever we do with Barry, it's got to be a mutual fit. We've got to want him and he's got to want us."

Bonds is prepared to test his market value.

The seven-time NL MVP's $90 million, five-year contract is up with San Francisco. He had indicated he would like to return to the Giants, but that was before owner Peter Magowan said on Oct. 2 that if Bonds returns No. 25 will no longer be the centerpiece for this franchise.

"We haven't engaged. I don't know what their disposition is," general manager Brian Sabean said after the team introduced Bruce Bochy as the club's new manager Friday.

Bonds has spent 14 of his 21 big league seasons with San Francisco and helped the Giants draw 3 million fans in all seven seasons of their waterfront ballpark's existence.

Bonds has 734 home runs, 22 from breaking Hank Aaron's career record of 755. After missing all but 14 games in 2005 following three operations on his right knee, Bonds batted .270 with 26 homers and 77 RBIs in 367 at-bats in 2006.

"Obviously he has an affection for San Francisco and I think he would be back," Giants first baseman Mark Sweeney said.

Bonds likely will be interested in gauging the interest of the Los Angeles Angels and Dodgers. He lives in Southern California in Beverly Hills.

"We will do our due diligence to explore all possible opportunities," Borris said.

Bochy was asked his thoughts on Bonds, who has hit 85 of his home runs against the skipper's former club -- the San Diego Padres. That's Bonds' highest total against any team.

"I've known Barry quite a few years. Unfortunately I've been on the other side and seen quite a few balls leave the ballpark," Bochy said. "I have not made any decision on Barry Bonds. Barry Bonds is on this ballclub and I look forward to managing Barry Bonds."

That is, if Bonds is still wearing a Giants jersey come spring training.
    Personally I think he'll end up going to the Angels

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Bonds to file for free agency ASAP

Quote Originally Posted by degenerate10 View Post
    Personally I think he'll end up going to the Angels
    Or Oakland. Its right across the bay, and he wouldnt have to move very far. Depends on if he wants to take a pay cut though.
    Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    I've read books about sparkling vampires who walk around in the daylight that were written better than a John Fay article.

Senor Votto

I'd like to see Barry and Dusty end up in Oakland together.

Is there any chance no one would want him besides SF? Are his numbers worth the PR nightmare? At least in SF the fans are already blind.
    Last edited by Crosley68; 10-28-2006 at 10:34 AM. Reason: grammar
    Let's play two!!!

I'd like to see Barry and Dusty end up in Oakland together.
    Dream on, Beane wouldn't touch either.

Senor Votto

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Dream on, Beane wouldn't touch either.
    I know I can't imagine Barry going to Oakland when all their players are younger guys. But whoever gets Barry will have more fans coming to the ballpark as he approaches Hank Aaron's record.

I know I can't imagine Barry going to Oakland when all their players are younger guys. But whoever gets Barry will have more fans coming to the ballpark as he approaches Hank Aaron's record.
    Not in Oakland, their base is strong and they wouldn't draw too many extra to watch Barry strut around after a record. It's not the nature of their fans, plus they just watched him trump their franchise in the papers for 14 seasons, I just can't see them caring about Barry.

Not in Oakland, their base is strong and they wouldn't draw too many extra to watch Barry strut around after a record. It's not the nature of their fans, plus they just watched him trump their franchise in the papers for 14 seasons, I just can't see them caring about Barry.
    Don't you think more than a few Giant fans and baseball fans in general would go to the park as he approached the record and even as he passed it? Any HR after he breaks the record is going to be the new record and any HR hit by Bonds could be his last one.

I think Oakland would see some jump in attendance. Most of Barry's loyal fans are in that part of the country.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

It'd be great if nobody signs him....but that won't happen

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    It'd be great if nobody signs him....but that won't happen
    See Sosa, Sammy
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I think Oakland would see some jump in attendance. Most of Barry's loyal fans are in that part of the country.
    Maybe a small bit, but as a rule you don't see many folks who are Giants fans over in Oakland. It certainly wouldn't cover the cost.

Making sense of it all Matt700wlw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by savafan View Post
    See Sosa, Sammy
    See record, 755

Quote Originally Posted by Matt700wlw View Post
    See record, 755
    I don't want to.
    My dad got to enjoy 3 Reds World Championships by the time he was my age. So far, I've only gotten to enjoy one. Step it up Redlegs!

I'd like to see him sign with the Giants.

The Yomiuri Giants.

Maybe a small bit, but as a rule you don't see many folks who are Giants fans over in Oakland.
    Well they've never had a 13 year Giant about to break the HR record in an A's uniform either.

I wouldn't expect to see many Yankee fans wandering around Flushing but if Jeter elects to finish his career for the Mets and gets close to Pete Rose's hit record, I think you'd see some Yankee caps pop up.

Turn Off Ads?