Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poca Dots and Boogercats

Poca Dots and Boogercats

Last night I took my 14 year old son to a WV high school class AA football playoff game, where "our" Wayne Pioneers defeated the Poca Dots, 13-0.
    Playing against Poca made me think about those teams who have unique nicknames or at least nicknames that I like. As far as I know, Poca High School is the only team anywhere that names its teams the "Dots"-their mascot is somebody dressed up as a big red dot.
    Today, while most college football fans (including me) will be focused on the battle in Columbus, Marshall University will also be in action. I've always liked Marshall's nickname, "The Thundering Herd." This nickname was given to MU teams by a local sportswriter in 1928, apparently after a then current western based upon the Zane Grey novel of the same name. While the huge herds of bison were more a feature of the American west, there were buffalo herds in this area before settlement by whites.
    Anyway, "Thundering Herd" is a much better nickname than another nickname which a rival sportswriter proposed for MU athletic teams: "Boogercats." He claimed the name derived from Scotland's "Bogie Cats." Fortunately that nickname never caught on. I just cannot see "Boogercats" being a positive nickname. The upcoming film about the 1970 plane crash of Marshall's football team sure wouldn't sound the same if it was called "We Are Boogercats."
    For me, college teams tend to have the better nicknames. "Buckeyes," "Tarheels", "Volunteers," "Fighting Irish", "Jayhawks"---to me those are all great nicknames that are specific to one school, with a history behind the nickname. I greatly prefer those nicknames to more generic nicknames such as "Tigers" or "Blue Devils."
    In pro sports, I like as nicknames "Dodgers", "Yankees", "Reds", "Packers", "Steelers", "Knicks"--I may hate some of the teams, but I like the nicknames.
    Anybody have any nicknames to nominate as being particularly good or bad?
    "Hey...Dad. Wanna Have A Catch?" Kevin Costner in "Field Of Dreams."

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Poca Dots and Boogercats

University of Pennsylvania - "Fighting" Quakers (not sure if the "fighting" part is official or unofficial).
    California University of Pennsylvania Vulcans
    Glenville (Cleveland, OH) Tarblooders
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

University of California @ Irvine Anteaters
    University of California @ Santa Cruz Banana Slugs
    University of California @ Santa Barbara Gauchos

My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon. There is another team in that county called the Bradford Railroaders. I had a fraternity brother in college who went to East Liverpool High and they were the Potters.

As far as unique college sports nicknames, I've always like the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.

Resident optimist OldRightHander's Avatar

How about the former minor league hockey team in Georgia, the Macon Whoopie? I don't thing they're around anymore, but I always thought that was a bit different.

REDSBROWNSBUCKEYES

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon. There is another team in that county called the Bradford Railroaders. I had a fraternity brother in college who went to East Liverpool High and they were the Potters.

As far as unique college sports nicknames, I've always like the Coastal Carolina Chanticleers.
    Greenville Greenwave class of 1997

Another high school up here - Brush Arcs

The school is named for Charles F. Brush, inventor of the arc light.
    Last edited by Yachtzee; 11-18-2006 at 12:00 PM.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

I graduated from Urbana, who name is Hillclimbers. Our logo was always a picture of a guy running..... obviously with no place to go, and never getting where he wanted!

Kinda like Forrest Gump!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Quote Originally Posted by OLD RIGHTHANDER View Post
    Greenville Greenwave class of 1997
    I gradutated a little before that, 1983.
    Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    I graduated from Urbana, who name is Hillclimbers. Our logo was always a picture of a guy running..... obviously with no place to go, and never getting where he wanted!

Kinda like Forrest Gump!
    Here is our fearsome logo:

Goofy, I'm sure, to outsiders but we were proud of it.

For a Level Playing Field

Quote Originally Posted by BuckWoody View Post
    My high school was the Green Wave, not totally unique but pretty uncommon.
    Another uncommon nickname that is located near you is my high school... Northmont Thunderbolts.

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/whims...als-174087.php

My college mascot was the Rangers. As in forest. Our mascot looked like a stoned Smokey the Bear.
    There is no such thing as a pitching prospect.

The Washburn University Ichabods

Here's a unique website that lists some of the nation's high schools and how they got their mascot/names. The Urbana Hillclimbers actually made the list....

http://www.halcyon.com/marcs/mascoths5.html

Tillamook Cheesemakers (OR)

Tonopah Fighting Muckers (NV)

Western Doves (Baltimore, MD).... Fear the Doves!
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I always liked the Frankfort (IN) Hot Dogs.

Rem

Here's a site that lists college nicknames.

http://www.smargon.net/nicknames/

A few of my favorites:

Delaware Blue Hens

Campbell (NC) Camels - because of all the camels roaming the deserts of North Carolina

Indiana U.-Purdue U.-Fort Wayne Mastodons

Muhlenberg (PA) Mules - it just sounds right, plus they have a cool logo of a kicking mule.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Turn Off Ads?