Turn Off Ads?

Thread: irony..hoffman style

irony..hoffman style

most of you may know this, but i thought i would share a little of the background i read in a reds periodical.
    1991: trevor hoffman was hitting just 212 in 103 games for reds Single A team in Charleston.Their manager,Jim Lett knew he would soon be cut so he approached Trevor and said, "Hey Trevor,before we cut you and send you back home forever,did you ever think about pitching ?"
    After just a few pitches in a bullpen session,Lett and the pitching coach knew they were on to something.
    1992:reds had 15 spots to fill on their "hands off " list in the which newly formed teams,Florida and Colorado could not touch.With 14 spots filled, they had to decide on the last one.A regular position player or the "new kid with the live arm " ?
    after months of debate on that last spot, they chose not to protect hoffman, who was scooped up by (and later traded by) the Florida Marlins.
    Rest is history .....482 saves 2.71 era

now fast forward to : 2006
    Hoffman sets all-time saves record for Padres in game against Pirates.Team-mates pour onto field to celebrate with hoffman.Trevor stops,steps away from the guys and points to older guy setting in pirates dugout watching all this.The pirate coach......yes, none other than Jim Lett.The former Reds single A manager who once asked him "did you ever think about pitching".

though the Reds not protecting Hoffman will never top the famous "Bowie over Jordan " on the 'ones that gotta away list',in the baseball world,it would have to be right up there close to the top.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: irony..hoffman style

A regular position player or the "new kid with the live arm " ?

Oh, yes, definitely one that got away. We've mentioned several over time - Hank Sauer, Curt Flood, Trevor Hoffman etc etc etc. - but then again, we've caught our share too. But Hoffman has always struck out like a thorn. I can't remember who else was drafted in that expansion, but he developed into one of the biggest catches (ironically by the Marlins!).

Quote Originally Posted by redsmetz View Post
    he developed into one of the biggest catches (ironically by the Marlins!).
    How true on the irony of the "marlins". i never thought of that till your post.
    It struck me as strange how the guy who first approached him about it (Lett) was there when he set the record.Lett had sorta made it big too.Single A manager to mlb bench coach though with a different team.

I seriously doubt the Reds would have kept him (for his entire tenure).

Quote Originally Posted by jmac View Post
    most of you may know this, but i thought i would share a little of the background i read in a reds periodical.
    1991: trevor hoffman was hitting just 212 in 103 games for reds Single A team in Charleston.Their manager,Jim Lett knew he would soon be cut so he approached Trevor and said, "Hey Trevor,before we cut you and send you back home forever,did you ever think about pitching ?"
    After just a few pitches in a bullpen session,Lett and the pitching coach knew they were on to something.
    1992:reds had 15 spots to fill on their "hands off " list in the which newly formed teams,Florida and Colorado could not touch.With 14 spots filled, they had to decide on the last one.A regular position player or the "new kid with the live arm " ?
    after months of debate on that last spot, they chose not to protect hoffman, who was scooped up by (and later traded by) the Florida Marlins.
    Rest is history .....482 saves 2.71 era

now fast forward to : 2006
    Hoffman sets all-time saves record for Padres in game against Pirates.Team-mates pour onto field to celebrate with hoffman.Trevor stops,steps away from the guys and points to older guy setting in pirates dugout watching all this.The pirate coach......yes, none other than Jim Lett.The former Reds single A manager who once asked him "did you ever think about pitching".

though the Reds not protecting Hoffman will never top the famous "Bowie over Jordan " on the 'ones that gotta away list',in the baseball world,it would have to be right up there close to the top.
    Just out of curiosity, who did the Reds protect over Hoffman?

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    He's in post #2

I had always heard that the original list had Hoffman on it, but he was taken off and replaced by Chris Hammond. Not saying that's correct, but that was always the story I'd heard...and that the irony was that Hammond was dealt to FLA that next season anyway.
    Last edited by dougflynn23; 11-18-2006 at 03:01 PM.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

I thought that John Roper was protected in place of Hoffman.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    He's in post #2
    Ahhh...Spuds McKensie(Chris Sabo)...took me a minute without seeing the goggles.

Ahhh...Spuds McKensie(Chris Sabo)...took me a minute without seeing the goggles.
    Who were the other players? Knowing it was Sabo makes it a little less bitter of a pill to swallow.

Signed
    Spuds Fan.

Hindsight is 20-20, but Spuds was turning into Spudders in '92, as his best years were behind him. And who is to say he would have been drafted - he was expensive then for an expansion team.
    But, then again, even if they still did have Hoffman, Bowden probably would have traded him away for a handful of magic beans.

Hoffman would have been gone as soon as his price tag was too high (see O'Neill, Paul; see Boone, Bret; see Shaw, Jeff)

Was it not Tim Costo?
    "I am your child from the future. I'm sorry I didn't tell you this earlier." - Dylan Easton

Quote Originally Posted by Spitball View Post
    Was it not Tim Costo?
    Actually, I believe it was Tim Pugh.
    Later,

Tom

"One thing about Adam is he wants to play every day. He's played hurt the last couple of years. A lot of people get on him about a lot of different things, but he plays. A whole lot of people look at what he can't do instead of what he does do for us." - Jerry Narron on Adam Dunn.

Turn Off Ads?