Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How about a Garland?

How about a Garland?

It looks like the White Sox are on the verge of dealing him according to this Foxsports article. However take note that although it's speculated that it might be the Rangers, it doesn't actually state who it is. Could it be us, we certainly would have a need in a GB pitcher with durability. I guess I would prefer Jason Jennings but Garland isn't bad! But what young arm(s) would it cost us?

White Sox close to dealing Garland
    Ken Rosenthal / FOXSports.com
    Posted: Friday

The White Sox are close to trading right-hander Jon Garland, according to a rival executive, and the Rangers appear to be the most logical fit.

The Rangers pursued Garland at the general managers' meetings in Naples, Fla., and White Sox G.M. Ken Williams is intrigued by several of the Rangers' pitching prospects.
    Minor-league left-hander John Danks likely would be part of any Rangers package for Garland, a sinker-baller whose style would adapt well to Texas' hitter-friendly Ameriquest Field.

The Orioles and other clubs also have engaged the White Sox in talks about Garland. The White Sox have been seeking young pitching for one of their veteran starters.

A deal between the White Sox and Rangers also could be expanded to include White Sox center fielder Brian Anderson. The Rangers could lose center fielder Gary Matthews Jr. to free agency.

Garland, 27, is signed for $10 million in 2007 and $12 million in '08. He has worked 211 or more innings in each of the past three seasons and won 18 games in each of the past two. However, his ERA rose from a career-best 3.50 in 2005 to 4.51 last season.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: How about a Garland?

We don't have the horses to get him.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    We don't have the horses to get him.
    I don't know--I think the White Sox would be happy just dumping the guy.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Cueto? Wood? Pelland? I would consider dealing almost anyone else in the minors besides Bailey, Wood and EZ (I still believe he can be an outstanding back of the rotation arm). That said only Bailey is a no-no unless someone gives us the moon.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I think Judy is more on the Reds budget.

Garland is a prime example of how pitch-to-contact pitchers can go from good to bad in the blink of an eye.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Well....somebody this side of Roy Oswalt has to be good enough....

Harang didn't throw hard enough, Arroyo was fodder.....so, who would be good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    I don't know--I think the White Sox would be happy just dumping the guy.
    I think they would too. They're looking for a back-up catcher. The reds could even the money some in 2007 by trading Larue for him. As long as the money doesn't stop a Harang deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Footstool View Post
    Garland is a prime example of how pitch-to-contact pitchers can go from good to bad in the blink of an eye.
    Umm...Jon Garland has won a combined 36 games over the course of 2005 and 2006. I think he's finally hitting his stride, not going from good to bad.

Quote Originally Posted by harangatang View Post
    I think Judy is more on the Reds budget.

That darn drug testing is standing in the way, though.

If we were to trade for Jon GArland, then Im sure CHW would be inquiring about Bailey. I for one would not trade for Garland if Baileys gotta be sold. Now I would make this trade with the White Sox though.

Reds trade: David Ross

White Sox trade: Sean Tracey

The White Sox need a backup catcher behind Pierzinski, and Ross would provide much needed insurance at that position. While the Reds gain an arm for the bullpen, and free up a spot for another OF.

Garland's the new Jeff Suppan, the quintessential league average guy.

Sure, he had a career year in 2005, but outside of that season his ERA+ has been 100, 99, 100 and 103 in his four other full seasons an a MLB starter.
    Last edited by M2; 11-20-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Would you guys make a trade for Garland if you could get a guy like Brian Anderson involved?
    "I hate to advocate chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone... But they've always worked for me."

-Hunter S. Thompson

Bristol, just around the corner from ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by cincyinco View Post
    Would you guys make a trade for Garland if you could get a guy like Brian Anderson involved?

The same Brian Anderson who stunk up the joint in 2006? We have a player on our roster right now who might be one notch of a downgrade defensively, but can definitely outhit Mr. Anderson: Chris Denorfia.

Why would we want to go acquire another great CF defensive talent that will never be our everyday CF?

Now if we could send Griffey to the White Sox for some sort of starting pitching help, sign me up.

Quote Originally Posted by GoGoWhiteSox View Post
    Umm...Jon Garland has won a combined 36 games over the course of 2005 and 2006. I think he's finally hitting his stride, not going from good to bad.
    You can thank the White Sox offense for his wins.
    Check his roller-coaster WHIP and ERA numbers from 2004, 2005, and 2006. His K/9 has been very consistent and very low. He relies on his defense to generate outs, which leads to inconsistent performance from year to year.
    "I prefer books and movies where the conflict isn't of the extreme cannibal apocalypse variety I guess." Redsfaithful

Turn Off Ads?