Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

Re: Gammons reports reds sign Alex Gonzalez

One factor in acquiring Gonzales that hasnt been mentioned much is this guy has played on a World Series winner. I often thought last year that the Reds could badly use a savy veteran who has been thru a Pennant chase. Little things like this I think are invaluable!!

2. Turn Off Ads?

I really like this move. It upgrades the defense at Shortstop. The contract of 3 years 14 million is not that bad. Phillips gets to also stay at 2b. Now hopefully we can add some Pitching as well.

That is why I think the next signing should be Juan Pierre. The Reds would be as good defensively up the middle as any team in baseball. Extremely important IMO. A veteran presence in the Reds clubhouse is badly needed also. When the Reds are in the pennant race next year, having someone who has been there before and been on a winning team would be invaluable. Although the following piece was from a Boston writer it sheds some light on Gonzalez's ability as a shortstop.

November 02, 2006
    Gonzo loses Gold Glove to Jeter (?!)
    By Gordon Edes, Boston Globe Staff
    Derek Jeter is a great player. There can be little debate. But Jeter may not even be the best-fielding shortstop in New York (hello, Jose Reyes).

Yet Thursday Jeter won his third straight Gold Glove at shortstop, beating out Alex Gonzalez of the Red Sox, who was merely the best fielding shortstop in Sox history, and who belongs in the same company as Ozzie Smith and Omar Vizquel among all-time great glovemen at short.

Jeter won even though he made more than twice as many errors as Gonzalez (15 to 7) and had a lower fielding percentage (.975 to .985)...
    Last edited by Handofdeath; 11-18-2006 at 04:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Handofdeath View Post
    That is why I think the next signing should be Juan Pierre. .
    I honestly don't mean personal offense, but that is a flamingly bad idea.

They'd need 10 games to scratch out their first run of the season.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

I like the idea of having a slick fielding shortstop. I wish we had just signed him to a two year deal but FAs are commanding a steep price this off seasonand if the Reds didn't get AG to this deal they probaly would have entered into next year with Phillips and Castro splitting time at short.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You're right. Godawful offense and good defense/pitching is going to win us even more games... Better defense and pitching is great. But sacrificing offense from a team that scored 749 runs last year is not the recipe for success.
    How exactly is replacing Royce Clayton with Alex Gonzalez "sacrificing offense"?
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Quote Originally Posted by blumj View Post
    How exactly is replacing Royce Clayton with Alex Gonzalez "sacrificing offense"?
    That's a bit of a false dilemma (Clayton OR Gonzalez).

This signing has locked in a dreadful stick in a starting position. Clayton was never anything more than a backup.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I agree I have a stronger arm than Juan Pierre in CF. We have 3 options already that are better than Pierre (and at least 2 are cheaper). Freel, Denorfia, and a healthy Junior are all better offensive options and I believe Freel and Deno given a chance everyday would end up being even better defensively than Pierre.

Pierre outhit Freel by 20ish points. But Pierre's OBP of .330 was smoked by Freel's .360, Chris Denorfia's OBP ended up being .356 this past year.

Pierre's OPS was .717, Freel and Denorfia's were .762 and .724.

Freel made $1.3 mil, Denorfia the minimum, Pierre made $5,750,000 last year. And with the market the way it is I could very easily see him get the same amount. This time last year Pierre was asking for $6.5 mil from the Cubs after being acquired from the Marlins. Do we really want to go and throw that much money at him when we have at least 2 options similar if not better than he is already? And that doesnt even include what Hopper might be able to be a late bloomer and become a legit MLB player.

I believe you guys are jumping to conclusions, because the reds was awful at short last year. I believe that Gonzo is going to have a big year in our ball park next year, scoring about 80-90 runs and saving at least 30 runs. That is a huge! Plus you did you expect to get on the market this year? I think that the Reds targeted a quality player that improves our team.

So Far this is what our order looks like (more changes likely to happen)

RF Freel
    1B Hatteberg
    CF Griffey
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn
    C Ross
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzalez

Quote Originally Posted by jamess697 View Post
    I believe you guys are jumping to conclusions, because the reds was awful at short last year. I believe that Gonzo is going to have a big year in our ball park next year, scoring about 80-90 runs and saving at least 30 runs. That is a huge! Plus you did you expect to get on the market this year? I think that the Reds targeted a quality player that improves our team.

So Far this is what our order looks like (more changes likely to happen)

RF Freel
    1B Hatteberg
    CF Griffey
    3B Encarnacion
    LF Dunn
    C Ross
    2B Phillips
    SS Gonzalez
    Flip Dunn and Hatteberg and I could "live with" that being the everyday offenes. I at this spot perfer Dunn in the 2 hole because his numbers last year were best when hitting there. Plus with the number of walks he draws is almost ideal for the 2 hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post

I don't take personal offense. I would ask if you are comfortable with a horrible defensive player in LF and an injury prone 37 year old in CF? I doubt Pierre will sign with the Reds anyways. The contract he wants seems to be 3 years/24 million. He's not worth that but in today's market...

I look at this deal as a step up over what was a glaring hole already. Now factor in somebody taking Larue's contract off our hands for a reasonable return and it is like the payroll has not even changed. Thus allowing the Red's to take on payroll for some added pop into the lineup.
    2006 Redzone mock Draftee's- 1(st) Daniel Bard(redsox), 1(st sup)( Jordan Walden (Angels), 2(nd) rd.- Zach Britton(Orioles), 3(rd) Blair Erickson(Cardinals), 3(rd) Tim Norton( Yankees),(cuz its a Tim Hortons thing

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    now they need to address CF
    Yep.

I like the Gonzo singing, btw.

Just FYI on Pierre... You may want to turn your heads this will make you sick...

http://www.mccoveychronicles.com/sto...1/14/184844/04
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2662062
    Quote Originally Posted by
    The Giants, in the market for a center fielder, are moving along in discussions with Juan Pierre, the National League leader with 204 hits last season. The word in Naples is that Pierre could get a deal for three years and about $30 million -- if not from San Francisco, then somebody else."
    If he gets this Dunn's contract looks like a steal.

I am hoping and praying Votto steals Hatte's job in spring training.

I think we could use another outfield bat, unless we play Deno in CF. Playing Denorfia in RF hurts us offensively more then it helps us defensively. Now if you play him in CF, that is a different story.

Turn Off Ads?